• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and CC in Lynchburg

Shpoa86

Hey everyone. I am new to the site and new to OC/CC. I have received my CCL but for the time being (until I get a more compact handgun) will be OC. I currently have a Ruger P95DC and just got a molded holster for it. I have been reading up on the laws to be familiar with them and am just looking for advice from others who have OC in the area or just in VA in general.
:idea:

Thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey everyone. I am new to the site and new to OC/CC. I have received my CCL but for the time being (until I get a more compact handgun) will be OC. I currently have a Ruger P95DC and just got a molded holster for it. I have been reading up on the laws to be familiar with them and am just looking for advice from others who have OC in the area or just in VA in general.
:idea:

Thanks!

No such thing as a CCL in Va!
Welcome to the site.
What are you looking for advice on?

Last edited:

Shpoa86

I am just basically looking for anything that you have found works for you when oc or cc. Mainly oc since its out there for everyone to see.

What do you mean no ccl for va? Do you mean that its a permit and not a license? Im confused:eek:

Thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am just basically looking for anything that you have found works for you when oc or cc. Mainly oc since its out there for everyone to see.

What do you mean no ccl for va? Do you mean that its a permit and not a license? Im confused:eek:

Thanks!

It is a permit and not a license (which I'm not a fan of but that is for another day:lol:)

In Va it's a Concealed Handgun Permit. CHP. When I first got mine they were CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit) but some fool decided only handguns were fit for self defense.

There really isn't a lot of advice I can give. OC is a right..without a permit. Put it on and forget it's there. You'll get used to it.

Stay out of the forbidden places like Schools and Courthouses.

Buy a small voice recorder and carry it like it was a life vest.

Read here. Just about everything that can happen has been posted and discussed here.

KNOW THE LAW!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome Shpoa86! Lynchburg is another good spot where you shouldn't have any issues OCing. Check out http://friendorfoe.us for a good summary of the places that don't want your business and a whole bunch more that do. Most (maybe all) of the stores I've been in have no issue with my wife or I carrying. There's a regular biunch of us who OC that dine out on occasion so we'll have to keep you and others in mind and post up a notice when we plan something.

If you don't have a digital voice recorder to keep on you when you OC take my recommendation as the voice of many to get one and keep it running when you're out and about. You likeky may never need it, but it can be helpful retelling events if you ever have issues when carrying. You can get a decent one for $35 or $40 at Walmart or Target. Be sure to check out http//www.vcdl.org for a very useful resource and consider joining this great group which is a pretty good voice for many gun owners here in VA!

Shpoa86

Thanks jmelvin for that info! I want to get a small .380 handgun so that I can conceal easier but I figure if I open carry first for a while, it will help ease anxiety in the future.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry didnt mean to use the wrong terminology.

Common mistake and nothing to be sorry about.

There are open carry get togethers often. It's easier for newcomers to start OC'ing with a group. See if some of the people near you are willing to meet for lunch or dinner.

That not only eases you into OC'ing, you also get to meet some darn nice people.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
You're darn right about OCing helping you feel more comfortable carrying in general. I OCed exclusuvely for a year and a half when I lived in AZ before ever getting their CCW permit (proper term). You'll find many here are a bit fussy about using the right terms, but it's pretty useful to ensure we talk intelligently amongst ourselves and to keep out confusion (CCW permit in AZ since you can carry and conceal different types of weapons, but only CHP in VA since only a handgun may be concealed.). Stick around, read, interract and be sure to learn your way around the search function. If there's a question you have it may be answered somewhere already and there are lots of posts sharing people's experiences all over. Again welcome!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Welcome, Shpoa86!

Advices:

Know the law.
Know your rights.
Know the law.
Know your rights.

Carry a voice-recorder. Carry a voice-recorder. Carry a voice-recorder. Not once ever has a forum member written here, "Boy, I'm glad I didn't have my voice-recorder when that cop/manager/jack-ass was giving me a hard time." However, there have been a number of OCers who wished they had one or had it with them after an encounter.

Work out a few standarized responses to inquiries from citizens, business employees, and cops (know your rights). Or use the forum search feature for threads where "things to say" and "how to respond" have been discussed.

Law to learn:
  • Where you cannot carry
  • What and how you cannot carry
  • Age to possess/carry, and age to buy
  • Trespassing (for example, whether it is legal to refuse to leave when told by a business)
  • Pre-emption (whether the General Assembly pre-empted the field of gun law by revoking the power of localities to make certain gun ordinances, and what types of gun ordinances localities can still make)
  • Voice-recording
Here is the law on voice-recording. (See section B.2.) http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62

Here are some videos on your rights:

Busted... by FlexYourRights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

10 Rules...by FlexYourRights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbNLt7Om8&feature=player_embedded

Talking to Police by Prof James Duane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Some you can learn on the VCDL website linked above. Other stuff you can pick up as you go along.

Last edited: