• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign - Not meeting their goals without donations.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Paul Helmke wrote me a letter...

I quote;
Dear ConditionThree,

I recently sent a letter addressing the budget gap we're facing at the Brady Campaign this year-end. As you know, we've had to fight on more fronts than ever. In 2010, we:

Fought back against the gun lobby's legislative attempts to force more guns into our communities;
Pressured President Obama to nominate a strong ATF director;
Stopped dangerous legislation in the states and in Congress;
Built strong support for our bills to close the deadly gun show loophole and the dangerous terror gap.
But all of this comes at a cost. If we can not close our budget shortfall, we will have to make significant changes to our game plan next year.
Please Donate Now

We've already taken steps to reduce our expenses. To succeed, it's going to take the combined effort of each and every one of us. Please make a donation today.

Every single dollar is urgently needed right now. Whether your contribution is large or small, every little bit helps.

Thank you in advance,

Paul Helmke, President
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

LOL!

Here's the breakdown of their list of accomplishments that they believe merit more donations;

Fought back against the gun lobby's legislative attempts to force more guns into our communities;

Uhm. If legislation is advanced because it represents the desires of the constituency of whom our congressmen represent, how can that be attributed to 'force'?

Pressured President Obama to nominate a strong ATF director;

FAIL - It took nearly two years for Obama to throw Andrew Traver's name in the hat, and now we are looking at a slightly different Senate, confimation is certain to be a tough sell. Claiming that the Brady Campaign had anything to do with Traver being nominated is like the weather man claiming they were responsible for making the sun shine. Even their own report card on Obama shows that they have NO influence on the president...(http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/reports/fedleg/obama-1styear-report.pdf) The Brady Campaign has had two years to pressure Obama to support their agenda. What happened? Obama signed legislation to for National Parks to follow state law regarding gun possession, effectively re-establishing the 2A in Federal lands.

Stopped dangerous legislation in the states and in Congress;

Really? And what bills were those? Was that the one where Arizona went Constitutional carry- so a gun owner could openly carry or conceal carry without licensing? Or was that the state Senate bill in Mississippi that opened up carry in parks, restaurants, and unsecured public buildings to CCW holders? I think those were both signed by the state's respective governors. Your organization didn't stop those.

and

Built strong support for our bills to close the deadly gun show loophole and the dangerous terror gap.

Support for whose bills? I am not aware of any legislation being considered that has the Brady Campaign organization attached to it in any way. Regardless, neither has seen any major advancement. SB 595 was voted to be carried over to 2011- and likely this has killed it with the incoming house. Similar efforts to close the 'gunshow loophole' such as one in Virginia died in commitee.

If I were anti-gun, I wouldnt want to donate to an organization who cannot provide results or point to some effort that was immediately a recognizable sucess. It is not enough to rally the troops or circle the wagons- you actually have to get something done.

This letter is the signal to all pro-2A organizations to use whatever means necessary to cost the Brady Campaign for Criminal Empowerment as much money as possible and drain their coffers.

AyatollahGondola

I can't remember them ever asking for money from me, so their outreach must be centering around the same old worn out wallets of years past. Maybe some of them have been spending on hardware in light of the many changes in their own neighborhoods

KS_to_CA

"We've already taken steps to reduce our expenses. "

One more suggestion. If their officers should quit now, that would greatly reduce their expenses.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Lol why did they send that to you? Do they know that your an OC/CC supporter?

I am signed up for e-mail alerts. They do not know I am a pure rights defender of the Second Amendment.

I believe it is important to stay tuned into the anti-gunners so that when they present an opportunity (which they inevitably will), we should not waste it.

Kloutier

If I wanted to be rude I would respond with something like, Your broke however the LEGAL fire arms/ammunition/accessories are booming was does that tell you about your message?

Gundude