• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rumor Has It...Pit Closing Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainless1911

Banned
There has been a lot of talk about people closing down the Lapeer shooting pit simply because the people that use it, keep leaving their messes. If this is you, knock it off or go somewhere else! Its the only place around that allows free shooting, its an hour drive for me, and most that I have spoken with drive much farther than that. When you go shooting, and clean up your stuff, grab a few other things, and drag it to the trash pile. You know, leave it better than you found it. Not too much to ask for unlimited, unregulated, and unrestricted free shooting.

Don't screw this up for everybody else, and if you would take a sec, please cross post this on as many other sites as possible. Thanks.

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

where did you hear it might be closing down?

I havent been there a a couple of months,but the last time I was there it looked pretty decent. Did It get all jacked up again?
I was planning on taking the boy there soon to test out one of his Christmas presents.

eastmeyers

I know on several attempts neighbors in the area tried to get it shut down, just because it was a shooting rage, outside, in the neighborhood. They sited noise and safety, but the DNR always came back with, well its legal though, so sorry.

I have herd the "rumors" of the pit shutting down because of the "litter problem" since before I started going up their. Yet it has never shut down. I have never herd any LEO (including DNR ever mention it). But hey just in case I fully agree with Stainless! ALWAYS POLICE YOURSELVES, AND OTHERS. If you are their and see someone else about to leave their trash, make sure you stop them and let them know how important it is for them to make sure they ALWAYS clean up after themselves, and even suggest they pick up some extra stuff while they are here anyways, even go with them to help.

And this is how I handle it. During every seize-fire, I go and set up my new targets, but do NOT pick up my old ones (yet), I just pick up trash on my way back to the firing line, and drop it off in the cans. I wait until I am done shooting before I get "my" trash, and by this time I have probably had 10-15 seize fires, to pick up some other garbage.

On another note, please be extra polite to the man that is up their everyday picking up unwanted brass, he is always polite. Willing to give advise, but only if asked. Overly willing to help if you are helping someone to shoot for the first time, to help teach (like if you are taking more than one person to shoot for the first time, this is a great help). He is also the one whom purchased with his own money those trash cans. I never asked if he personally empties them somewhere or if they have trash up pick their, but even if they do have trash pick up their, he has to go and put them out, and put them back. And people keep steeling them, and he keeps replacing them. He is retired, and his only current income, is reloading that unwanted brass, or scrapping the bad unwanted brass, and it has been working for him. He is a good guy.

And on yet another topic, when you go, pull to the side of the road right before you get their, right at the entrance/exit, get out of your car and inspect the ground. The neighbors have been known to put 2X4's with nails in them in the entrance and in the lot, for YOUR TIRES, they have also used sharpened Jacks (like jumping jacks but no fun). Because they hate the pit so much.

So moral of the story, pick up the pit, make sure others do to (some people honestly just don't know), be nice to the guy picking up the unwanted brass, inspect the lot/entrance, be safe, and HAVE FUN!

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Exactly, and I know that guy too, his name is willie. He has freimds in the dnr, and local government. He is just one person that has talked to me about possibly losing the pit. He told me that all it takes is a signature and a sign. Also said to me that he is sick and tired of picking up after people, and wont be picking up anything but brass.

After halloween the place was completely trashed. There were so many pumpkins there, that the place smelled bad. Shot up radios, unclaimed targets, general litter, ick.

eastmeyers

Yeah this time of the year is the worse, people just wanna shoot and leave. Thats it, they don't wanna walk up snowy hills to pick up thier mess. But it is a MUST, eveyone MUST do their part, and should even do more than their part, it is FREE outdoor shooting. What more can you ask for, so come-on everyone lets do our part and more, and keep our spot alive.

Bailenforcer

Hmm an open carry clean up is in the making here folks. Scores big points maybe bring Willie a bottle of Chivas Regal, as a Christmas present. I would pitch in ten dollars on a fifth for Willie, and I haven't used that pit since I was 18 years old.

Exactly, and I know that guy too, his name is willie. He has freimds in the dnr, and local government. He is just one person that has talked to me about possibly losing the pit. He told me that all it takes is a signature and a sign. Also said to me that he is sick and tired of picking up after people, and wont be picking up anything but brass.

After halloween the place was completely trashed. There were so many pumpkins there, that the place smelled bad. Shot up radios, unclaimed targets, general litter, ick.

PDinDetroit

Before the PIT was revamped, I had a nice long phone conversation with the person who manages this specific State Game Area for the State of Michigan (name escapes me). He was very engaging and gave me information about the area that I did not know about (and this is one of the reasons I hunt there and spend my money in the area).

I discussed with him about these "rumors" and he confirmed that there have been times where persons have tried to have the pit shutdown. These have always failed and will continue to do so. There are many groups that go to the pit that have a level of "legal readiness" in order to protect this shooting area. In addition, it is my understanding that the Game Area receives $$$ for having this range available (so much per round fired, gets estimates from the groups with automatic weapons).

All this being said, I agree with the other posters here about cleaning up after yourself and conducting yourself in a reasonable way while shooting there.

PDinDetroit

Hmm an open carry clean up is in the making here folks. Scores big points maybe bring Willie a bottle of Chivas Regal, as a Christmas present. I would pitch in ten dollars on a fifth for Willie, and I haven't used that pit since I was 18 years old.

I am not sure Will would accept it, he is a decent and pretty humble guy. The most I have been able to get him to take was a bottle of water during the middle of summer.

Beerme

Banned
That's a great idea! Im down with a cleanup effort. Even a regularly scheduled one, if the "officials" knew that people were interested in maintaining the place, it would be a lot harder to close.
but all that time picking up garbage would constitute as actual physical work which you have stated numerous times you are not capable of doing....
Hope you are enjoying my tax dollars.

malignity

I've never been to the pit, simply because I've heard rumors of people putting boards out there with nails in them so people get flats and such. I'd be interested in going sometimes, and will help clean up too. Seems like a decent place. Is there both long and short range shooting? I've never been there, so I honestly don't know. I mean, I don't want to be shooting 75 yards with a pistol. ;)

stainless1911

Banned
01_00A.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

PICT0081.jpg

This place rocks, you can even shoot one of these if you got one.

minigun2.jpg

DetroitBiker

The first few times we shot out at the Pit,we took empty 2 ltr pop bottles with us to shoot. It was fun to make them dance around a bit,but they soon got shot up to much and just laid there. I saw a couple of people bringing out there own target stands and quicky realized that was the way to go. So after watching a couple of youtube videos ,I made my own out of PVC pipe. they are cheap,easy to store, and you can change the paper targets on them as often as ya want. Most of all I didn`t have to comb the area looking for every little piece of plastic.:D
we always take a few garbage bags with us and fill em up with anything extra trash that people left behind.

my targets look pretty much like this

2vkgghi.jpg

2lt24rb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.