Thread: Has a permit holder ever been arrested for carrying concealed in New Britain.

Has a permit holder ever been arrested for carrying concealed in New Britain.

Hi all. As I'm sure you are aware NB has an ordinance against concealed carry.

I'm curious if a permit holder has ever been prosecuted for this, and what the outcome was.

I'm hoping that Rich and Ed or others can weigh in on this.

Don

I don't have any information on this. I doubt there has been an arrest, especially not recently.

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to submit a FOI request.

I'm complying with the law. I open carry in New Britain (actually, most of the time I OC, it is in New Britain).

I'm not a huge OC'er, per se, but I don't think the laws should be changed.

Law is really the wrong way to put it, it's a town ordinance, like New London. It says concealed is bad, but statewide OC is legal, so........... OC it is. Plenty of looks, but no takers yet as far as calling the cops on me that I know of.

If I'm the first to get snagged that I know of, I'll post here......

Silly ordinance.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Does anybody have the actual wording of the ordinance? I read it once, and if I recall correctly it outlaws carrying at all.

Not on my normal computer, but I have it on my machine at the house.

It says no concealed carry. Silly city council probably thought that this was a concealed carry state, so....... they may have thought they nipped carrying in the bud.

I know for a fact it mentions concealed carry and nothing about open carry.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Here it is:

Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly
    or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles,
    razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not
    apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon
    his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to
    another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and
    peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode
    or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be
    repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business
    with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Silly ordinance.
    I disagree. This ordinance makes a perfect case for keeping OC legal when we testify to the legislature, IF or WHEN the issue ever comes up for a vote (Has not EVER happened yet).

Arguing that if OC becomes Illegal that we will now be breaking the law in NB by CCing could actually be to our advantage!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    I disagree. This ordinance makes a perfect case for keeping OC legal when we testify to the legislature, IF or WHEN the issue ever comes up for a vote (Has not EVER happened yet).

Arguing that if OC becomes Illegal that we will now be breaking the law in NB by CCing could actually be to our advantage!
    Seems to me that it would be better to argue that if they make OC illegal that there are cities and towns that would automatically be breaking our state's constitution by prohibiting carry altogether.

SEC. 15. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.
    http://www.sots.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view...=3188&q=392288
    Last edited by Rich B; 12-20-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Seems to me that it would be better to argue that if they make OC illegal that there are cities and towns that would automatically be breaking our state's constitution by prohibiting carry altogether.

http://www.sots.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view...=3188&q=392288
    And that point works as well!
    It seems that we will have a lot of different angles of attack available to us during all of our testimonies.

The more food for thought that we supply them and the more bodies that we throw at them for testimony, the better our case will be.

You guys have A LOT more faith in the legislature and the lame permit holders than I do..... by lame, I mean those that bitch online but then do absolutely NOTHING to ensure that they keep their rights.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    those that bitch online but then do absolutely NOTHING to ensure that they keep their rights.

Jonathan
    I guess you guys have finally figured me out....ROFLMFAO!!!

Ya, I directed that towards you brother!!!

You know exactly what I mean. Especially after the last election cycle. I loved hearing people bitch at the outcome, but did absolutely NOTHING to ensure a different outcome to the election.

From now on, if I know that someone did absolutely nothing to defend their rights, I don't want to hear them bitch about it, period.

Jonathan