• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has a permit holder ever been arrested for carrying concealed in New Britain.

dcmdon

Hi all. As I'm sure you are aware NB has an ordinance against concealed carry.

I'm curious if a permit holder has ever been prosecuted for this, and what the outcome was.

I'm hoping that Rich and Ed or others can weigh in on this.

Don

KIX

I'm complying with the law. I open carry in New Britain (actually, most of the time I OC, it is in New Britain).

I'm not a huge OC'er, per se, but I don't think the laws should be changed.

Law is really the wrong way to put it, it's a town ordinance, like New London. It says concealed is bad, but statewide OC is legal, so........... OC it is. Plenty of looks, but no takers yet as far as calling the cops on me that I know of.

If I'm the first to get snagged that I know of, I'll post here......

Silly ordinance.

Jonathan

KIX

Not on my normal computer, but I have it on my machine at the house.

It says no concealed carry. Silly city council probably thought that this was a concealed carry state, so....... they may have thought they nipped carrying in the bud.

I know for a fact it mentions concealed carry and nothing about open carry.

Jonathan

KIX

Here it is:

Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly
or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles,
razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not
apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon
his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to
another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and
peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode
or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be
repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business
with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

Lenny Benedetto

Silly ordinance.

I disagree. This ordinance makes a perfect case for keeping OC legal when we testify to the legislature, IF or WHEN the issue ever comes up for a vote (Has not EVER happened yet).

Arguing that if OC becomes Illegal that we will now be breaking the law in NB by CCing could actually be to our advantage!

Rich B

I disagree. This ordinance makes a perfect case for keeping OC legal when we testify to the legislature, IF or WHEN the issue ever comes up for a vote (Has not EVER happened yet).

Arguing that if OC becomes Illegal that we will now be breaking the law in NB by CCing could actually be to our advantage!

Seems to me that it would be better to argue that if they make OC illegal that there are cities and towns that would automatically be breaking our state's constitution by prohibiting carry altogether.

SEC. 15. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

http://www.sots.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view.asp?a=3188&q=392288

Last edited:

Lenny Benedetto

Seems to me that it would be better to argue that if they make OC illegal that there are cities and towns that would automatically be breaking our state's constitution by prohibiting carry altogether.

http://www.sots.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view.asp?a=3188&q=392288

And that point works as well!
It seems that we will have a lot of different angles of attack available to us during all of our testimonies.

The more food for thought that we supply them and the more bodies that we throw at them for testimony, the better our case will be.

KIX

You guys have A LOT more faith in the legislature and the lame permit holders than I do..... by lame, I mean those that bitch online but then do absolutely NOTHING to ensure that they keep their rights.

Jonathan

KIX

Ya, I directed that towards you brother!!!

You know exactly what I mean. Especially after the last election cycle. I loved hearing people bitch at the outcome, but did absolutely NOTHING to ensure a different outcome to the election.

From now on, if I know that someone did absolutely nothing to defend their rights, I don't want to hear them bitch about it, period.

Jonathan

Recon Marine

N.b does not mandate open carry! What are you guys taking about?

Here it is:

nor to any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon

New Britain city ordnance

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly
or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles,
razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not
apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon
his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to
another, or from one residence to another, NOR TO ANY PERSON WHILE ACTUALLY AND PEACEABLY ENGUAGED IN CARRYING ANY SUCH WEAPON or implement from his place of abode
or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be
repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business
with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

THE WAY I READ IT IF YOUR GOING TO GET CRAZY, & ILLEGAL YOU HAVE TO OPEN CARRY SO THE COPS CAN BLAST,,YO ,,(sarcasim added) ,,,, YOU BUT IF YOU ARE PEACEFULLY ALLOWED TO CARRY,CONCEALED IS ACCEPTABLE,......... WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKIN ABOUT????? THAT ORDANCE SEEMS REALLY CLEAR TO ME? NO SECRET LOOP HOLE THERE!