• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can the sheriff of the county add to the requirements for permit?

hotrod08

Can the sheriff of the county add to the requirements for a CHP?

I know the GS for Criteria to qualify for a CHP is GS § 14‑415.12
My ? is can the sheriff have his own requirements over and above the statue?

Thanks, Jason.

hotrod08

I don't think so since we are a shall issue state.

What is he trying to add, though?

http://www.co.moore.nc.us/index.php/concealed-handgun-permit

Section 4 on the link above.

"4. Proof of Moore County residency. You must have remained a resident of Moore County for at least 30 days prior to the application. Proof includes; lease agreements, rental payment receipts, utility bills, tax statements, etc."

http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/citizens/concealed_permits.htm

http://www.usacarry.com/north_carolina_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/sheriff/PDFs/ConcealedHandgunPermitApp.pdf

http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/sheriff/GunPermit.htm

http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

I have searched other sheriffs dept and they dont ask for this info, Nor do I see it in the Statues.

rotorhead

^ this

No they are not allowed to add things into it. It's a state program that the state handed over to local counties to manage for them. It was never designed by statute to be county specific as far as rules and conditions go, only for counties to manage as a means of expediency.

cricketdad

Can the sheriff of the county add to the requirements for a CHP?

I know the GS for Criteria to qualify for a CHP is GS § 14‑415.12
My ? is can the sheriff have his own requirements over and above the statue?

Thanks, Jason.

§ 14 415.13. Application for a permit; fingerprints.
(a) A person shall apply to the sheriff of the county in which the person resides to obtain a concealed handgun permit. The applicant shall submit to the sheriff all of the following:

§ 14 415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.
(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:
(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

The sheriff has to verify that you meet the above criteria. How he does it is not spelled out in the statutes. Just as there is no law saying you cannot open carry there is nothing saying the sheriff cannot ask you to prove the above.

Last edited:

hotrod08

§ 14 415.13. Application for a permit; fingerprints.
(a) A person shall apply to the sheriff of the county in which the person resides to obtain a concealed handgun permit. The applicant shall submit to the sheriff all of the following:

§ 14 415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.
(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:
(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

The sheriff has to verify that you meet the above criteria. How he does it is not spelled out in the statutes. Just as there is no law saying you cannot open carry there is nothing saying the sheriff cannot ask you to prove the above.

I have lived at the address for 6 years and he knows that, So I am hoping my DL is enough too show I lived in NC for 30days When I apply for my permit.

Dreamer

Contact GRNC and have them contact the Sheriff's office. They will set them straight.

http://grnc.org/contacta.htm

If they can't get the Sheriff to see the light, you may have to get the Attorney General in on the act...

Last edited:

hotrod08

Contact GRNC and have them contact the Sheriff's office. They will set them straight.

http://grnc.org/contacta.htm

If they can't get the Sheriff to see the light, you may have to get the Attorney General in on the act...

I'll do that, I wouldn't mind providing the info but I live with other people and so nothing has my name on it.

They don't require that info on the Purchase Permits, The sheriff issued me a PPP back in march.

Last edited:

aadvark

The Short Answer is No.

Relevant North Carolina General Statute is as follows:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)

In short..., a Sheriff is an Agent of the State..., and a Constitutional Agent at that!

farkles

no they can NOT

and you are NOT required to fill the extra info out.

Farkles is in the middle of a battle about this.

Guilford County was pulling some crap like this, but worse. I recommend not filling out the extra info, having a voice recorder running, and wait for them to verify by voice that they will not take or submit your application without this extra illegal information.

GRNC is the right place to turn for this, as they have some more pull with the Sheriffs around here typically. Sheriff BJ Barnes pulled back on some of the requirements for character references (they just pulled it off the website last week), but are still asking more than allowed. Next week shall be interesting dealing with Barnes and the unlawful requirements.

RoadKing

Only law makers can make or change laws.

Those sworn to uphold the law are required to do just that. That does not give a Sheriff, Police or Judge the right to make changes to existing law.

Just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure I am correct.....
RK

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also do not see validity in the statement from the sheriff that, "Applicants need to have a North Carolina Driver's License with their current address on it."

Do not see that in the statutory requirements - Not all legal residents will possess a driver's license in any event.

kcGlock19

In guilford county they told me you have to be 21 and it does say that on the website. I tried argueing but the wouldn't listen. What statues should i use to prove this to them. or what should i say? "No actually county can't add restrictions to the age required to recieve a permit. Can you show me the law that says I can't recieve one being 19yrs old?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In guilford county they told me you have to be 21 and it does say that on the website. I tried argueing but the wouldn't listen. What statues should i use to prove this to them. or what should i say? "No actually county can't add restrictions to the age required to recieve a permit. Can you show me the law that says I can't recieve one being 19yrs old?"

Did not find the exact statute, but did find this reference:

"Requirements:
• is a citizen of the U.S. and has been a resident of the State for at least 30 days immediately prior to filing the application;
is at least 21;
http://www.usacarry.com/north_carolina_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

hotrod08

For a Concealed handgun permit, Yes you have to be 21

for a purchase permit NC does NOT really have anything set in stone, But rather it looks to federal requirements
which is 21 to PURCHASE from an FIREARMS DEALER.

IANAL

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran

GS 14-415.12

Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.
(2) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.