• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Gun Sales Boom Still Going

LR Yote 312

At the same time, I also think I want something semi-auto, but not like my M&P-15, so possibly a FAL? I'll just see what grabs my attention at the next gun show.

Skip the FAL unless you have deep pockets. Accuracy isnt the greatest and there is the metric/sae thing to watch for too.

A good AR10 is cheaper,more accurate and easier to work with.

Lr Yote

Last edited:

Jason in WI

Don't forget those numbers for the last month don't really tell you how many firearms are actuality sold! I've had two checks last month but picked up four firearms :D. Black Friday was so busy NICS went down :eek:. I know I'm not the only one to buy multiple firearms on one check, seems to be pretty common when you have stuff sent to a dealer.

Uziel Gal

A thumb safety

Springfield XD45, no thumb safety. I don't need it as my index finger controls if a round goes or not. ;)

Although I agree that good finger control is the most important firearm safety device, there is a great reason to like the XD thumb safety. I believe that when engaged it locks the slide. A thumb operated slide lock will prevent the XD slide from moving and potentially being "out of battery" when drawn or holstered. I see that as a potentially worthwhile ability regardless of it's other safety functions.

Jason in WI

A thumb operated slide lock will prevent the XD slide from moving and potentially being "out of battery" when drawn or holstered. I see that as a potentially worthwhile ability regardless of it's other safety functions.

The grip safety does that. I'm not a fan and that is the only upside I can see to locking the slide. I'd still like to be able to clear the firearm with out depressing the grip safety and making the trigger active, especially with our backwards encased in motor vehicle laws. I think the manual safety was added to be considered for government sales as that was a requirement for bid.

Carryon

I added to it this fall. For WI rifle/shotgun season I bought my wife a Remington 770 package rifle, in .270.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Funny you mention this, I was looking at getting a .308 rifle, but not sure which one yet, thinking maybe the Remington 700 VTR, unless anyone has a recommendation for a long range rifle.

There's a nice SR-556 that's been tempting me on gunbroker too.

I have been looking at the Remington Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range 308 rifle , for purchase in June, along with a Markarov 9x18 & a Kimber Warrior 1911- All for CCW.

OH, YEAH. Love my Ruger SR556

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I was actually now looking at the Savage Varminter. I keep hearing good things out of the box about this rifle, and for some reason about how bad the R 700 action is from the factory? Either that, or they just expect too much from a out of the box rifle.

Usually we shoot at coins and golf balls at about 100 yards with .22s, but I think I want to put something together that I can use at the 300 (and the bullet doesn't hit the target sideways like my 10/22).

At the same time, I also think I want something semi-auto, but not like my M&P-15, so possibly a FAL? I'll just see what grabs my attention at the next gun show.

FOR Just $ 2500.00 you can get the SCAR 17s 308...It's what some of the Spec ops guys are using in AStan

Last edited:

nevinsb

I have been looking at the Remington Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range 308 rifle , for purchase in June, along with a Markarov 9x18 & a Kimber Warrior 1911- All for CCW.

OH, YEAH. Love my Ruger SR556

That post should have said "AC-556" but the SR is sweet once you adjust the gas on it. The first person I know who got one we told him he bought a very nice bolt action rifle.

Interceptor_Knight

Funny you mention this, I was looking at getting a .308 rifle, but not sure which one yet, thinking maybe the Remington 700 VTR, unless anyone has a recommendation for a long range rifle.

There's a nice SR-556 that's been tempting me on gunbroker too.
The SPS Tactical is more accurate, costs less and comes with a nicer stock. The new Remington adjustable triggers are pretty decent. The Savage 10FP is about the same price but I do not like the feel of the stock and you really do not need the extra 6" of barrel if you are using commercial and surplus ammo so it is more cumbersome and heavy than necessary...