• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 12-18-10: Johnston County Anti-Gun Ordinance – Act Now

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605
919-664-8565, www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Alert 12-18-10:
Johnston County Anti-Gun Ordinance – Act Now

Johnston County commissioners are considering an ordinance to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling. This would include BB and pellet guns. Upon questioning, county officials admitted that this would even include bows and arrows.

Aren't you happy that these officials want to protect you from yourselves! Once again our elected officials seem to be mistaking themselves for our mothers. It is time to remind them.

Well, the good news is that when this last came up for a vote it was tied 4 to 4 and was shelved. Now you will have a chance to put in your opinions. The Johnston County Board of Commissioners will hold public hearings on Monday, January 3, 2011, in the Commissioners’ meeting room, Johnston County Courthouse Annex, Smithfield, NC 27577. These hearings will follow the Rezoning and Special Use Hearings and other regular business, which begin at 6:00 p.m.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

Email AND call ALL Johnston County commissioners using this link:

http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=403&content_id=1837

Attend the meeting on Jan. 3 at 6:00 p.m. Let's do our best to pack the room at 207 East Johnston Street in Smithfield.

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

Northerner

I just sent this to my fellow 2a friends in JC. I will also plan on attending. They get this passed, what control will they try next?

'GRNC states "Johnston County commissioners are considering an ordinance to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling. This would include BB and pellet guns." Is this true? What is the base for such a restriction? Why are you trying to limit the Federal and State protected Second Amendment Right (CONSTITUIONAL AMMENDMENT)? So, will this restrict my ability to protect myself and my family from criminals on my property? I, and as many friends as I can muster, will be at your hearing January 3rd to express our concern for such a measure. Be prepared to explain yourselves to your constituents about this obvious overreach of authority.'

Last edited:

cricketdad

I just sent this to my fellow 2a friends in JC. I will also plan on attending. They get this passed, what control will they try next?

'GRNC states "Johnston County commissioners are considering an ordinance to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling. This would include BB and pellet guns." Is this true? What is the base for such a restriction? Why are you trying to limit the Federal and State protected Second Amendment Right (CONSTITUIONAL AMMENDMENT)? So, will this restrict my ability to protect myself and my family from criminals on my property? I, and as many friends as I can muster, will be at your hearing January 3rd to express our concern for such a measure. Be prepared to explain yourselves to your constituents about this obvious overreach of authority.'

This is not the first county to try this. Cumberland tried it several years ago.

Northerner

Proposed Johnston County Firearm Ordinance - UPDATE

E-mail response after sending e-mail to JCBC:

Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Re: Proposed Johnston County Firearm Ordinance

As you are aware, the Johnston County Board of Commissioners was scheduled to hold a public hearing on January 3, 2011 at our 6:00pm meeting to review and discuss the adoption of a proposed firearm ordinance. I, as well as my fellow Board members, have received several communications over the last week from concerned citizens regarding the implementation of such an ordinance. In light of these concerns, the Board and I have decided to develop a workgroup, consisting of Commissioner, staff and citizen representatives, who will review the proposed firearm ordinance, address the citizen concerns and develop a revised ordinance that is mutually acceptable among us all. Currently the workgroup will be comprised of the following members, with the possible addition of a couple more individuals:

Allen L. Mims, Jr. – Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Jeffrey P. Carver – Vice Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Rick J. Hester – County Manager

Steve Bizzell – Sheriff

Berry Gray – Planning Director

Citizens: Jeff Lawrence, Mike Walters, Jake McAllister, Stephen Reeves, Jonathan Parker and Todd Blackburn

Therefore, the public hearing scheduled for January 3, 2011 has been postponed until further notice. Upon receipt of a revised ordinance from the workgroup, we shall re-advertise the date and time of the public hearing. Thank you.

Last edited:

cricketdad

E-mail response after sending e-mail to JCBC:

Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Re: Proposed Johnston County Firearm Ordinance

As you are aware, the Johnston County Board of Commissioners was scheduled to hold a public hearing on January 3, 2011 at our 6:00pm meeting to review and discuss the adoption of a proposed firearm ordinance. I, as well as my fellow Board members, have received several communications over the last week from concerned citizens regarding the implementation of such an ordinance. In light of these concerns, the Board and I have decided to develop a workgroup, consisting of Commissioner, staff and citizen representatives, who will review the proposed firearm ordinance, address the citizen concerns and develop a revised ordinance that is mutually acceptable among us all. Currently the workgroup will be comprised of the following members, with the possible addition of a couple more individuals:

Allen L. Mims, Jr. – Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Jeffrey P. Carver – Vice Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Commissioners

Rick J. Hester – County Manager

Steve Bizzell – Sheriff

Berry Gray – Planning Director

Citizens: Jeff Lawrence, Mike Walters, Jake McAllister, Stephen Reeves, Jonathan Parker and Todd Blackburn

Therefore, the public hearing scheduled for January 3, 2011 has been postponed until further notice. Upon receipt of a revised ordinance from the workgroup, we shall re-advertise the date and time of the public hearing. Thank you.

Thanks Northerner, it people like you that makes GRNC effective in what they do.

edrolee

so what they are really saying is...............
"how dare you citizen try to tell us elected deities how to govern you in our new nanny state, when we have a new plan that sounds better (but really isn't) we might tell you about it so we can have a public hearing....but what we would really like is to pass this, for your protection b/c your to much of red necks to know better, with OUT you finding out until it's over"

cricketdad

so what they are really saying is...............
"how dare you citizen try to tell us elected deities how to govern you in our new nanny state, when we have a new plan that sounds better (but really isn't) we might tell you about it so we can have a public hearing....but what we would really like is to pass this, for your protection b/c your to much of red necks to know better, with OUT you finding out until it's over"

Not to worry. We have a mole on the committee. They can run but they can't hide.

edrolee

i hope not......
my dad was from JC, benson, meadow actually......
some of my fondest memories are from my teenage years to my early 20's down near meadow shooting in my cuz's backyard

when my cuz was about 16 he dug a 5 foot deep 3 foot wide and 7 long foxhole in his back yard about 150 feet from the back of his house......
as you can imagine a hole that big had a nice BIG berm of dirt to shoot into

out in the back yard shooting .22s, MN 7.62X54r, SKS, AKs, .357s, also there used to be a bridge back neer there that we would stand on and shoot soda cans in the creek.....man the 90's were a good decade.......

Northerner

Not too impressed with this response....

Northerner,

Thanks for the email. Cookie Pope
:mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:02 AM
To: jeff.carver@firstcitizens.com; ray.woodall@johnstonnc.com; wadestewart33@aol.com; tony@triangleeastrealty.com; Cookie Pope; dbar609669@aol.com; amimsjr@gmail.com
Subject: Web E-Mail to Commissioners

=============================================================

GRNC states "Johnston County commissioners are considering an ordinance to ban shooting of any kind of projectile within 600 feet of a dwelling. This would include BB and pellet guns." Is this true? What is the base for such a restriction? Why are you trying to limit the Federal and State protected Second Amendment Right (CONSTITUIONAL AMMENDMENT)? So will this restrict my ability to protect myself and my family from criminals on my property? I, and as many friends as I can muster, will be at your hearing January 3rd to express our concern for such a measure. Be prepared to explain yourselves to your constituents about this obvious overreach of authority.

Northerner

Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group

MEETING POSTPONED

Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group :confused:

Please be advised that the Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group meeting that had been scheduled for Monday, January 10, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. in the Conference Room of the Johnston County Land Use Center has been POSTPONED due to the inclement weather. Once the meeting has been rescheduled, a notice will be issued.

Rick J. Hester

Johnston County Manager

(919) 989-5100

I appreciate the e-mail, but "Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group" ?

Last edited:

Northerner

Update: Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group

NOTICE OF MEETING

The Good Neighbor Firearms Ordinance Work Group will be meeting on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of discussing a proposed Johnston County firearms ordinance. The meeting will be held in the Emergency Operations Center of the Johnston County Courthouse Law Enforcement Building located at 120 South Third Street, Smithfield, North Carolina. Anyone attending this meeting should use the Courthouse Law Enforcement Building entrance located on Third Street.

Please note that a final draft of the proposed firearms ordinance will be considered by the Johnston County Board of Commissioners during a public hearing to be scheduled and advertised at a later date.

Rick J. Hester

Johnston County Manager

(919) 989-5100

NCjones

So now Steve and his boys are gonna cruise the neighborhood looking for 10 year-olds with a forked stick and inner tube strap (slingshot) while some thug is breaking into my house.

Nice.

nipit.jpg