• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Las Vegas OC'ers headcount...Where do you OC?

Ddave

I have been OC'ing in the Northwest (Centennial, 215 & Durango Area) and around my work Downtown, and have not seen anyone else just out and about OC'ing. I have a friend at work that also OC's - and he is the only other person I have seen in the Vegas area doing so.
I was just wondering roughly how many of us there are around town, and what areas you OC? I know about the "Get Togethers" Downtown and other places, but I would be thrilled to just "Run into" someone at wallymart or starbucks or even the gas station that is also OC'ing.
I pulled up to get gas on Washington and LV Blvd about a month ago and saw someone OC'ing, but I was next to a patrol car, and the officer was the other guy I'm referring to.

I did have a nice interaction with the officer. He actually thanked me! I asked why he was thanking me, and he said: "For wearing your blue card on your belt next to your gun." he said: ""it makes me relieved that I wouldn't have a hastle asking you for ID." I said that I wear both everyday... He finished gassing up, and said "have a great day" - That was it...

I wouldn't have a problem furnishing ID, but I have found that since I wear my bluecard in a holder visable next to my gun, Metro has Never to this day hastled me or asked for ID in the 4-6 times I have interacted with them... (Sorry off topic)

drdcup

Hi,

Thanks for your post and relating your experiences. OCers are out there just keep looking.

Just to let you know there are some people who may not think the way you do in regards to hanging your blue card. Others see what you do as an example of the erosion of freedom. On the surface a pleasant experience but long term at the very least you train the officer to think if the next person doesn't show me a blue card they are doing something wrong. It is not legally required to have a blue card on your person. Something you might want to consider.

Keep OCing

28kfps

I carry all the time in Las Vegas and have never seen another open carry person. I was in that general area this weekend. Open carrying in Kohl’s, Trader Joe’s Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club. The only time I have seen others open carry in Las Vegas is at the meet-ups. A great time all should attend them. I do see open carry in Pahrump weekly. Counting myself 3 one evening in Smith’s.

Last edited:

28kfps

Yep I am afraid you may get several replies on why you do not want to carry your blue card in the open. One giving the impression to the uneducated that an unconstitutional law has more clout than it does and the impression to the general public additional documentation or training is needed to open carry legally. Keep the card at home or if you believe the need in your pocket.

Vegassteve

I did have a nice interaction with the officer. He actually thanked me! I asked why he was thanking me, and he said: "For wearing your blue card on your belt next to your gun." he said: ""it makes me relieved that I wouldn't have a hastle asking you for ID." I said that I wear both everyday... He finished gassing up, and said "have a great day" - That was it...

I wouldn't have a problem furnishing ID, but I have found that since I wear my bluecard in a holder visable next to my gun, Metro has Never to this day hastled me or asked for ID in the 4-6 times I have interacted with them... (Sorry off topic)

I will step up and be that guy. What would you do with the blue card if you didnt live in klark county? Oh right no one else in the state needs one. So what does someone from up north "display" when they OC in vegas? NOTHING and so should you.The so called officer stating what he did just shows he is in no way your friend only a foe. Hassle you? For what? For being legal. That asshat needs his badge taken away. What no one could make a fake blue card and hang it on the belt? If thats what that officer thinks is ID he is a bigger asshat than I thought.

And you need to leave the blue card at home or better yet do what some of us have done shred them and send them back to the so called sheriff.

Nevada carrier

I will step up and be that guy. What would you do with the blue card if you didnt live in klark county? Oh right no one else in the state needs one. So what does someone from up north "display" when they OC in vegas? NOTHING and so should you.The so called officer stating what he did just shows he is in no way your friend only a foe. Hassle you? For what? For being legal. That asshat needs his badge taken away. What no one could make a fake blue card and hang it on the belt? If thats what that officer thinks is ID he is a bigger asshat than I thought.

And you need to leave the blue card at home or better yet do what some of us have done shred them and send them back to the so called sheriff.

I live in the area between Decatur and Jones on Tropicana. I tend to shop at the wal-mart on Rainbow and 215 where the guy pistol whipped a manager when he was unsuccessful at passing a bad check.

I've had the police called by some irate commie in this neighborhood who probably moved here from some place like Kalifornia or New Jersey where the sheeple are not accustomed to freedom. When they arrived, an officer asked me for my ID, which I refused to give since I was on foot. I did tell him my first, middle and last name, then he asked for my blue card. I told him if his records didn't indicate that I had registered firearms I would produce it, but not until then (it is conceivable that metro can foul up the registration forms that I filled out at the time of purchase). A few minutes later, he came back from his car and asked, "It that a Taurus, PT 24/7 .40 caliber? I said it was, and he excused me to be on my way. Then turned his attention to the irate douche who called the cops on me who was now livid that I wasn't being arrested. I don't know all that was said between them, other than what i heard walking away, it went something like this, "WTF, your just gonna let this guy go with a gun on his hip? You can't walk around in public with a gun!" All I could here after than was, "Sir, with all due respect, you're in Nevada now.... (uninteligable)..."

Last edited:

45 ACP rocks

You'll see me OC'ing in the Craig Rd corridor between the 215 and 15. They're used to me at WalMart, Sam's Club, Fremont Medical Center, Nevada FCU branch office, various gas stations.

Sabotage70

I tend to OC more after work. I OC on my way home at my stops at the stores on Blue Diamond before getting home. I also frequent the Vons on Durango and Warm Springs.

And I can be spotted at Bass Pro.

The Big Guy

Everywhere I go

Mostly Henderson. Downtown, Boulder highway, Horizion, Lake Mead, Sunset. Boulder City, Las Vegas, N. Las Vegas on occasion. I get around, you could see me anywhere.

TBG

Ddave

I'd like to thank everyone for their responces... Even the blue card haters.

Hi,

Thanks for your post and relating your experiences. OCers are out there just keep looking.

Just to let you know there are some people who may not think the way you do in regards to hanging your blue card. Others see what you do as an example of the erosion of freedom. On the surface a pleasant experience but long term at the very least you train the officer to think if the next person doesn't show me a blue card they are doing something wrong. It is not legally required to have a blue card on your person. Something you might want to consider.

Keep OCing

Thanks for your responce... The clark county blue card thing is what metro asks for every time they want to hastle an OC'er, and though it's not legally a requirement, it has kept me from being an OC'er face down in the street so far. As for some of the other posted responces about my display of the blue card; I will not forfit MY rights because others here don't feel i'm OC'ing the correct way, or because THEY choose the whole "F-the police, I'm right, and they're wrong so I'll stick it in this cops face and prove my point" mentality, dosn't mean that I have to do the same. I feel comfortable right now OCing with my blue card, and it took several months for me to do it - now I OC everyday. We all have our comfort zone - so respectfully; as the world turns right now in Clark county- for now I will be wearing my blue card right next to my Glock or XD comfortably. Pick your battles, and I'm not ready to go toe to toe with any lawyer bills in the near future.

I was under the impression that this site was where people that OC come together, not harsh on others, so I'm kinda surprised by some of the responses posted on this thread (not yours in particular). I was just relating an experience that I had with Metro that didn't end with me asked for ID or stuck in a cop car for an hour in cuffs, or my mags unloaded and placed a half a mile down the street for me to track down after the cop left. It really boosted my confidence and put me at ease just "interacting" with this PERSON in uniform. He wasn't one of those "power asshats" that i've heard about here. I don't feel that I am Eroding anyones rights by openly displaying a registration card for an openly displayed tool that I am lawfully carrying. OC is for protection for me and my family- If Metro wants a blue piece of paper showing that this tool is registered to ME, I will provide it. Because IT IS registered to me...

Anyways; I hope to see you guys around town sometime soon, and many, many more of us in the future... I dig reading the stories about the meetups, and hope to join you all soon- if you'll still have me. Thanks again for your posts and opinions everyone...

Ddave

drdcup

Thanks for your responce... The clark county blue card thing is what metro asks for every time they want to hastle an OC'er, and though it's not legally a requirement, it has kept me from being an OC'er face down in the street so far. As for some of the other posted responces about my display of the blue card; I will not forfit MY rights because others here don't feel i'm OC'ing the correct way, or because THEY choose the whole "F-the police, I'm right, and they're wrong so I'll stick it in this cops face and prove my point" mentality, dosn't mean that I have to do the same. I feel comfortable right now OCing with my blue card, and it took several months for me to do it - now I OC everyday. We all have our comfort zone - so respectfully; as the world turns right now in Clark county- for now I will be wearing my blue card right next to my Glock or XD comfortably. Pick your battles, and I'm not ready to go toe to toe with any lawyer bills in the near future.

I was under the impression that this site was where people that OC come together, not harsh on others, so I'm kinda surprised by some of the responses posted on this thread (not yours in particular). I was just relating an experience that I had with Metro that didn't end with me asked for ID or stuck in a cop car for an hour in cuffs, or my mags unloaded and placed a half a mile down the street for me to track down after the cop left. It really boosted my confidence and put me at ease just "interacting" with this PERSON in uniform. He wasn't one of those "power asshats" that i've heard about here. I don't feel that I am Eroding anyones rights by openly displaying a registration card for an openly displayed tool that I am lawfully carrying. OC is for protection for me and my family- If Metro wants a blue piece of paper showing that this tool is registered to ME, I will provide it. Because IT IS registered to me...

Anyways; I hope to see you guys around town sometime soon, and many, many more of us in the future... I dig reading the stories about the meetups, and hope to join you all soon- if you'll still have me. Thanks again for your posts and opinions everyone...

Ddave

I wouldn't let other's comments second guess your opinion of the people on this site. We would all commend you on OC. Just people are really concerned about our freedoms and losing them. If your circumstances are a certain way with the blue card that works for you, so be it. Though we think the blue card is problematic and should be gotten rid of. Keep posting your OC experiences.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
A couple of comments...

Regarding the blue card, it is of course your right to carry it or not. If you prefer to carry it, by all means, do so! Everyone contributes to the cause differently and there is nothing wrong with those differences. Many here, myself included, oppose the registration scheme for a number of reasons. It sounds like you might also oppose registration but prefer not to cause waves. No one can fault you for that.

Many folks here actively oppose the registration scheme by shredding their blue cards and sending the pieces to metro. Others more passively oppose it simply by not carrying it with them. But regardless of what you do or don't do with your blue card, keep open-carrying daily! That's what really helps!

The problem so many have with registration, besides the obvious, is that the police have used the blue card as a means to harass, berate, and threaten members of the general public, INCLUDING those who aren't even required to register in the first place, such as out-of-town visitors. There is simply no need for that type of police abuse, and one of the ways to fight that abuse is to refuse to carry it or cooperate with police. It is a personal choice, and you're right, it carries risk with it. Again, no one can fault you for wanting to minimize your risk!

In the past couple of years, we've come a long way here in Las Vegas. We went from a situation where Open Carriers faced detention in handcuffs to one where, as you mention in your own experience above, police are polite in their interaction with openly armed citizens. This did not happen overnight and required a lot of hard work and personal investment by a lot of folks. Thanks to those contributions, we now enjoy this freedom, which is for the most part, uninhibited.

I welcome you to join us at our next get together! The more the merrier!

Finally, back on topic, I open carry daily and I'm around Rainbow and US-95. My normal shopping takes me from Charleston/Decatur to Spring Mountain/Rainbow to Rampart/Charleston to Lake Mead/Rainbow. You'll find me any number of places around there.

Nevada carrier

My comments regarding how I handle blue card checks were not intended to berate you in any way. More to show you how I handle such a request. I look at my blue card as a backup in case metro drops the ball or if the store I bought the gun from didn't turn in the forms to Metro. There are a few good reasons to have a blue card while the law is in effect. Mainly, as a backup to show a metro officer that you held up your end of the bargain, and someone else fouled it up when a check errantly shows that your firearm is unregistered.

If having your blue card in display makes you feel more comfortable, by all means do what you feel is best for you.

Sabotage70

Ddave

+1
I have been carrying around town for a while now, waiting on a meet to come up

The next Meet Up is scheduled for New Years day. And everyone is invited to come out. Make sure you come out hungry so you can get your moneys worth.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/newreply.php?p=1414832&noquote=1

Vegassteve

Ddave

No. Metro does not always ask for it. I have never been asked for it. Sorry you dont "feel" your eroding anyones rights but you are. You are empowering the police to think they have a power they just dont have. OC away just do it without looking like a goof to others or giving the cops anything they dont need. Like your blue card.

If some cop wants to take my gun from me because I dont have a blue card on me and he cant find it in the database, then he can take it and I will own a bunch of nice toys after I sue the crap out of him and the county.

And your wearing the blue card right next to your Glock uhh? And how comfortable is that cop going to feel when you reach for it right next to your gun? This is klark county cops shoot first and get off later.

28kfps

Ddave

I too have never been asked for a blue card or been harassed. I do keep my carry guns cards on me because like you I am not willing to test the system as far as some. You may hear strong opinions here. You more than likely will hear harsh statements in the future. Replies from some that believe they know a situation after reading a short description, better than the person that was there. Do not take it personal. I have been hammered several times myself, almost made me cry once, well not quite however, just about tuned me off the opencarry.org site. I decided to stick with it and have acquired a ton of great info boosting my carry confidence. It has been interesting to read from the ones that do disagree with me. Definitely do a meet up with the bunch on the next outing. The group is made up of a good mix of the average Joes and Joanns and a real blast.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Where I OC

I Live in the NW part of the Las Vegas Valley, And I pretty much OC where I go. I have plans of OCing somwhere off the charts, tommorrow night about 9:30 pm we will see how it turns out. If I get bagged Tim will keep you posted.

www.guerrillalawfare.com
dave@guerrillalawfare.com

whitels1

Today I OC'd for the first time. I was in NW Vegas (Charleston/215), there were some nerves on my part, but as I went about my business I looked around a few times and didn't notice anyone paying me any attention. I would say my first experience was pleasant.

I plan to OC everywhere in the valley, although I'm still iffy about North Las Vegas.

Regards,
Dave

Nevada carrier

Today I OC'd for the first time. I was in NW Vegas (Charleston/215), there were some nerves on my part, but as I went about my business I looked around a few times and didn't notice anyone paying me any attention. I would say my first experience was pleasant.

I plan to OC everywhere in the valley, although I'm still iffy about North Las Vegas.

Regards,
Dave

Don't worry about NLV, they may be a little peeved that their ordinance has been rendered impotent by state preemption, and I wouldn't put it past them to try to threaten you with their limp law, stand your ground, they can't do anything about it.