• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

related to felon

ososik

So Im going to pick up my brother for the holiday. He is a felon. Am I allowed to carry around him? Can he come to my house which has firearms in it? He feels I can't have one in the car if he is in it. Thanks, ososik.

strife1013

I don't see why not, YOU can carry a firearm so I don't see what the problem would be. As long as he isn't carrying it you should be fine AFAIK. There isn't anything in the law that says a felon must say xxxx in distance away from a firearm. It says something like they can't buy and carry one. It's not like someone who was charged with a sex crime that they can't go on school grounds or what have you.

PT111

I am going to leave it to the experts on here for the final say but I believe your brother is correct at least about the car. I am not sure about your home but I would not have one in the car with him. That is cutting it a little close on any interpretation of the law unless it is locked in the trunk at least.

S

scubabeme

I think my stepson is likely to be convicted of a felony in the coming year. If that is indeed the case, and it turns that this prohibition is true (at least the house part!!) then I'll be in a tight spot--my wife will be very upset when he is not allowed into the house as I'm NOT giving up my ability to defend myself or moving all my guns just because he is there! BTW, this is the first I've heard of this particular limitation. I think I'll ask one of my LE contacts.

COMMANDER1911

I think my stepson is likely to be convicted of a felony in the coming year. If that is indeed the case, and it turns that this prohibition is true (at least the house part!!) then I'll be in a tight spot--my wife will be very upset when he is not allowed into the house as I'm NOT giving up my ability to defend myself or moving all my guns just because he is there! BTW, this is the first I've heard of this particular limitation. I think I'll ask one of my LE contacts.

From my understanding, Felons cannot buy, own or posses firearms. If a felon is in the house of someone that owns firearms, as long as the felon is not in possesion (even holding one) of a firearm, it's clear.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The restriction is ON THE FELON, not on the others he may interact with (unless they are felons also)! As far at the home situation... the thing to avoid is "CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION" as in a firearm or ammo is in the home and not secured in a locking container. The Felon can not have access to the combination or the keys to the container containing the gun or ammo. As long as when the firearm is out of the secure location it is in the possession and control of one NOT PROHIBITED FROM OWNING/POSSESSING a firearm or ammunition.

In the car, if legal... keep it on YOUR person-- If not legal to do then keep it secured in an area of the vehicle that the felon does not have access to.

Now, depending upon how strict the LEO is going to be if you get pulled over while your firearm and ammo are in the car as well as the felon... make sure there are NO LOOSE ROUNDS UNDER HIS SEAT!.... JUST SAY NO TO ALL REQUESTS FOR SEARCHES OR SEIZURES!

This is all based upon my understanding of the restrictions placed upon a felon with regard to possession of a gun or ammunition. I have no personal experience in this. I am not an attorney or lawyer. This has not been legal advice. The preceding information is worth exactly what you have paid for it--- NOTHING. Your mileage may vary!

ooghost1oo

A felon can't have access to guns. Being in your house is a pretty gray area, but I'm sure his P.O. would give him trouble about it if he/she knew.

Just make sure attention is never brought to it, and you'd be fine. If you ask the authorities, you can probably guess what they'd say, right? And then you open yourself up to meddling.

ZackL

I agree. I am close friends with a felon and when I am around him I just keep the gun in my possession. Also, depending on where he lives and how old the felony is, he may qualify for a restoration of rights. If I remember correctly, in Colorado ten years from the end of sentencing and a felon's rights are restored. Definitely talk to a lawyer before letting him take possession if he qualifies for restoration, but something to think about for now or the future.

jhco50

I used to listen to G, Gordon Liddy and he was always telling his listeners that he couldn't own a firearm, but his wife had a wonderful collection. :D