• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I reading in too much about needing a recorder?

C

coolfrmn

@palerider116.
Or you could carry a court reporter with you everywhere you go.

No thanks. For the same reason I carry a weapon.... Police are too cumbersome to carry with me everywhere.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You have your own composer?

I was referring more to the content than the image quality.

The only content to which I could really object was that OCer on the left in that first group. God! That hat! Kahki with a blue shirt? Can't you all do something about him? :D

Didn't know you were color blind too - my shirt was gray. Was dressed for my audience. It was a VCDL shirt and I had a purdy handgun too.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP...my shirt was gray. Was dressed for my audience. It was a VCDL shirt and I had a purdy handgun too.

OK, we'll blame the "blue" on Nap's video or my monitor.

But, the purdy gun? How could anybody tell with that hat? Khaki? And, its not like it goes any better with a gray shirt. Sheesh. Nap needs a wardrobe supervisor as well as a composer if he's gonna continue.

:D

USNA69

I'm picking up what you guys are putting down.:banana:

Now, could you point me in a direction on how you carry the recorder? I already look like a retard with my ears :monkey, I don't want to accentuate it with the Batman belt.:lol:

Do we go all 007 and conceal the recorder & have a hidden mic run up our collar or OC that also?:cool:

I bought an Olympus Digital Voice recorder, Model VN-6200PC. I carry it on a lanyard around my neck, often tucked into a breast pocket. At the maximum fidelity setting it will record for 71 hours (or until the batteries give out). I have worn it in a shirt pocket under a jacket, and I still get a clearly audible recording. Like others, I always carry it when I OC/CC, and I turn it on before I leave the house. If nothing happens, I erase it all, after I return home.

Is it necessary? That is a decision you must make. However, before making it, you should read the entire thread about Skidmark's "encounter": http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83848-**-Legal-Defense-fund-for-Skidmark-**

He may or may not have had a DVR, but we are all hoping that he did. If it happened to you, wouldn't you want to be able to play back the "ACTUAL" encounter for the judge?

AbNo

But I think ---- makes great voice recorders, and include the software and cord to extract the recording from the device to the computer......

You know, I could write up a decent guide, showing how to get sound from a non-fancy voice recorder (or even one of the old mini-cassette recorders) onto a computer.

I could even include pictures.

Would anyone be interested, if not for themselves, for the community as a whole? I'd kinda taken 2010 off from OC/2A activism without realizing it, and I think this would be a good way to get back into the swing of things...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I bought an Olympus Digital Voice recorder, Model VN-6200PC. I carry it on a lanyard around my neck, often tucked into a breast pocket. At the maximum fidelity setting it will record for 71 hours (or until the batteries give out). I have worn it in a shirt pocket under a jacket, and I still get a clearly audible recording. Like others, I always carry it when I OC/CC, and I turn it on before I leave the house. If nothing happens, I erase it all, after I return home.

Is it necessary? That is a decision you must make. However, before making it, you should read the entire thread about Skidmark's "encounter": http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83848-**-Legal-Defense-fund-for-Skidmark-**

He may or may not have had a DVR, but we are all hoping that he did. If it happened to you, wouldn't you want to be able to play back the "ACTUAL" encounter for the judge?

I am pretty certain my wife has gotten the same recorder you mentioned here for me for a Christmas present. How did you attach it to a lanyard around your heck? Does it have a little hole or similar on his case for this purpose or do you need a separate case for your attachment?

SouthernBoy

I have a question for you all out there in OC land about needing recorders...

First I've been CC since 1997 when I lived in SC. (They went to shall issue in 96.) I moved to VA in 05 & have enjoyed the more freedoms that VA offers. I would love to OC, especially in the summer months for obvious reasons. I feel more comfortable CC, I'm just used to it. BUT, I feel that OC has great merrits also. In SC you can only OC when on your property/ business, hunting or fishing. So, outside of those confines, it's new to me.

The more I read these posts, the more I read about people needing recorders. "Make sure you have a good recorder with you when you OC." etc. People asking about what kind of recorders they recomend. I read about all of the negative interactions with LE. I see the posts where people are video recording interactions with civilians & LE.

It kind of has me a little nervous about OC, especially with out a recorder.

Is it really that necesary to have a recorder? Do you get hassled that much by LEOs & haters?

Welcome to Virginia. We're always pleased to have people here from our neighboring sister Southern states. I love South Carolina and visit the state several times a year. I do wish they would relax some of the carry restrictions and adopt a more Virginia-like system down there.

I have been carrying on a regular basis since 1995 when Virginia went shall issue (concealed) and have open carried regularly for the past 3 1/2 years. I have never had a negative encounter with any Virginia police officer, local or state, when carrying, and have only had one negative encounter by a civilian when OC'ing. He claimed he was a retired LEO but judging be his accent, he was not from Virginia - more like somewhere up north.

I also need to start carrying a recorder as I suspect there is bound to be a first time when something is going to happen. I suspect the reason nothing has so far is because of my appearance when carrying. But nothing is certain.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
How did you attach it to a lanyard around your heck?

I took an old ID badge holder reel.. (that has a little tiny nylon thread so you can pull your badge to the card swipe machine and let go and it snaps back to the reel.. ok THAT thing). I had a few of them and they have a pretty hefty steel clip. I snapped one off with a pair of plyers and used epoxy to put it on the top/back of a recorder. That gives it a nice "hook" to hang on a chain or a lanyard, etc.

clip.jpg

USNA69

I am pretty certain my wife has gotten the same recorder you mentioned here for me for a Christmas present. How did you attach it to a lanyard around your heck? Does it have a little hole or similar on his case for this purpose or do you need a separate case for your attachment?

It has a small hole in the case
DSCN1829.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Mine has a lanyard hole as well.

I keep mine in my pocket and find it a bit static in playback, I think I might carry it around the neck now.

If you buy a recorder, try to the one with a USB so you can save it, I just bought another one for that reason.

All my recorders have an external Mic input. You can but a cheap Radio Shack Lavaliere to lug in and clip anywhere you want.

C

coolfrmn

Not me. I carry a Kimber or a GUN or a Firearm or a 1911 or a pistol.. but NEVER a "W" word. I want those two extra jurors on my SIDE. I have not carried a "W" since I was in the Marine Corps. :)

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?50320

COPY THAT !!! :cool:

I didn't realize there was such a Hullabaloo about the "W" word. :lol: I refuse to say gun. It was beat into me that guns are on Navy ships. My appologies for offending.:) MCROTC & being a DOD Firefighter, I hear weapon or rifle alot. & You fire them, you don't shoot them.:banghead:

So, let me clarify.... "No thanks. For the same reason I carry a Glock 23.... Police are too cumbersome to carry with me everywhere."..:banana:

Last edited:

eye95

Mine has a lanyard hole as well.

I keep mine in my pocket and find it a bit static in playback, I think I might carry it around the neck now.

If you buy a recorder, try to the one with a USB so you can save it, I just bought another one for that reason.

Mine doesn't have a USB port, but you can still transfer recordings to your PC. It is less automatic and takes longer, but you can buy a cable with headphone jacks on both ends to connect the headphone jack on the recorder to the mike jack on your PC. Use whatever software comes with your OS to record from the mike jack.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are going to OC a handgun, then it is extremely wise to to be similarly equipped with a decent recorder - one protects your life and well being; the other your future.

What is one without the other?

C

coolfrmn

@ SouthernBoy...

Thanks!! & A big hello to you as well.
Yes, I too wish SC would relax more. Even their CC laws are tight. It seems almost double the places you can't carry in VA. It doesn't help that ALOT of businesses paniced when the law got passed. They went and put up "No Concealed Weapons Allowed" signs. SC Grassroots has their hands full trying to get legislation passed & trying to educate businesses. I think they have a good project going. They will offer to give a business an alternative sign to display after being educated. A "No Illegal Weapons Allowed" sign.

For those with the "W" word thing, :) That's how SC words the signs & their CWP.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP#6

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I took an old ID badge holder reel.. (that has a little tiny nylon thread so you can pull your badge to the card swipe machine and let go and it snaps back to the reel.. ok THAT thing). I had a few of them and they have a pretty hefty steel clip. I snapped one off with a pair of plyers and used epoxy to put it on the top/back of a recorder. That gives it a nice "hook" to hang on a chain or a lanyard, etc.

clip.jpg

That looks like a right novel approach, Ed. I do have a bag of those little badge reels in a box in my basement. I may also still have my neck strap for my badge from my last place of employment. If not, I'm sure Staples sells them.

Did you receive the flash drive styled recorder yet? If you did, any comments on that one?