Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: One at a time, yes you can legally carry open.

  1. #1
    28kfps
    Guest

    One at a time, yes you can legally carry open.

    In the past few weeks shopping in the crowed stores, one store being a very crowed Bass Pro open carrying as usually no problems. Checking out the GPSs the young man behind the counter asked me what I was carrying. I told him and he said that was the type of firearm he had been researching and asked how I like it. Long story short I told him I carry everywhere. Just as so many employers who do not pass on their gun policies, he too did not know Bass Pro allowed open carry. Now he does. In a very crowed Kohlís walked by a 50s something person. On the way back, passed him again and he asked what was needed to open carry. I said nothing. He said so you are law enforcement. No, I am not; nothing is needed to legally open carry. Therefore, you have a permit to carry. Nothing is needed to legally open carry. I asked him if he lives in Las Vegas and he did, I told him again that Nevada was an open carry state and to check the open carry web page. He said that was good to know.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Creech AFB. NV
    Posts
    107
    This is usually how my conversations go.

    "Excuse me, are you a cop?"
    "No."
    "Why are you carrying that then?"
    "What, my criminal repellent?"
    "Yeah, the gun"
    "Cause the bad guys carry, so why should I leave home without it?"

    I usually have to deal with the ignorant people who think I need to justify my actions. So I beat them in a game of wits. Those who are curious and interested I urge to consider taking their safety into their own hands as well..usually with the question "Do criminals have gun? Then why don't you?".

  3. #3
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    This is usually how my conversations go.

    "Excuse me, are you a cop?"
    "No."
    "Why are you carrying that then?"
    "What, my criminal repellent?"
    "Yeah, the gun"
    "Cause the bad guys carry, so why should I leave home without it?"

    I usually have to deal with the ignorant people who think I need to justify my actions. So I beat them in a game of wits. Those who are curious and interested I urge to consider taking their safety into their own hands as well..usually with the question "Do criminals have gun? Then why don't you?".
    This was a friendly conversation with the person asking. He was not objecting to me having a firearm or asking why I was carrying it. Just really surprised at the fact nothing was needed to legally open carry. He did say something like that is good to know and was very cool with me having it. So as you say how most of your conversation goes is not typical of most of the conversations I have. Most asking what is need to carry legally and not why I carry.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Answers to "Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Why aren't you?"

    "Because a cop is too heavy" (I dunno who came up with that one, but it's hilarious)

    "For the same reason I wear my seatbelt -- if I need it, I won't have time to put it on."

    "I put it on this morning because I think I might need it today. You didn't put on a gun, because you think you won't need it. I can be wrong every morning for the next 40 years. YOU can only be wrong ONCE."

  5. #5
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Answers to "Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Why aren't you?"

    "Because a cop is too heavy" (I dunno who came up with that one, but it's hilarious)

    "For the same reason I wear my seatbelt -- if I need it, I won't have time to put it on."

    "I put it on this morning because I think I might need it today. You didn't put on a gun, because you think you won't need it. I can be wrong every morning for the next 40 years. YOU can only be wrong ONCE."
    That is a good point I never leave the house without my gun on me, even if on a 10 minute trip to go the the corner store for milk. Thinking as I leave it is just around the corner I can leave it at home, to come to my senses, this could be the one time I need it. I have carried it for over 15 years open for the last year as you say one could carry it for the next 40 years and only needs to be wrong one time by leaving it home.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 12-22-2010 at 12:48 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member NewZealandAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb of Provo in UTAH
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Answers to "Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Why aren't you?"

    "Because a cop is too heavy" (I dunno who came up with that one, but it's hilarious)

    "For the same reason I wear my seatbelt -- if I need it, I won't have time to put it on."

    "I put it on this morning because I think I might need it today. You didn't put on a gun, because you think you won't need it. I can be wrong every morning for the next 40 years. YOU can only be wrong ONCE."
    I carry because it makes me feel better about the problem I'm having
    (Dion Wood). MY FREEDOM PAGE[/COLOR] with valuable links to ALTERNATIVE MEDIA, Internet Radio shows and other sites to restore our FREEDOM & LIBERTYhttp://www.QRZ.com/db/KB9QFH TELEPHONE: +1(800)808-KIWI that's +1(800)808-5494 Tollfree. "NewZealander By Birth, American By The Grace Of God." See also http://www.facebook.com/NewZealandAmerican & http://RTR.org/NewZealandAmerican ďIN MEMORY OF OUR GOD, OUR RELIGION, AND FREEDOM, AND OUR PEACE, OUR WIVES, AND OUR CHILDREN" (The Title Of LIBERTY)

  7. #7
    Regular Member crzyjarmans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    las vegas,nv
    Posts
    37

    just to be polite

    I've been asked form time to time,why do i carry a gun by both people who are for and against gun and just try to be polite to either parties, I inform them that criminals carry,and i know this first hand as being a fictim myself,and that police cant be everywhere and we need to be able to defend ourselfs until police can arrive and help,and at most times even the ones that where not for people who carry,they understand, some even say that there to scared to carry a weapon,thinking they will get into trouble,and inform them there is nothing illegal about openly carrying a gun in the state of nevada,and if they where interested in carrying they can get training to get more firmiliar with weapons and weapon handling,but if its the openly part there worried about they can get there concealed carry permit witch would allow them to carry weapon concealed,and usually end of with a new friend

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by NewZealandAmerican View Post
    I carry because it makes me feel better about the problem I'm having
    I carry because my dog told me to, and most of the voices in my head agree.

  9. #9
    Regular Member rickc1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Battle Mountain, NV.
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyjarmans View Post
    I've been asked form time to time,why do i carry a gun by both people who are for and against gun and just try to be polite to either parties, I inform them that criminals carry,and i know this first hand as being a fictim myself,and that police cant be everywhere and we need to be able to defend ourselfs until police can arrive and help,and at most times even the ones that where not for people who carry,they understand, some even say that there to scared to carry a weapon,thinking they will get into trouble,and inform them there is nothing illegal about openly carrying a gun in the state of nevada,and if they where interested in carrying they can get training to get more firmiliar with weapons and weapon handling,but if its the openly part there worried about they can get there concealed carry permit witch would allow them to carry weapon concealed,and usually end of with a new friend
    Almost word for word what I say to people asking me the same question, GOOD JOB! We are embassadors for the 2nd Amendment, and I do not apologize to anyone for exercizing my God given rights protected by the Constitution, but educating the ignorant in a polite manner is, how do thay say (you can catch more bees with honey then with vinegar.)
    Last edited by rickc1962; 12-22-2010 at 02:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I carry because my dog told me to, and most of the voices in my head agree.
    Your dog and I were talking the other day and thought if we both told you that you might listen. By the way, when you hear me in your head, is the audio too loud?

    TBG

  11. #11
    28kfps
    Guest
    I have several answers I use to reply why I carry depending on a quick evaluation of the attitude of the person asking. I want to walk away after answering thinking the person that asked says to himself or herself the answer makes since and maybe help them understand why we do carry. Hopefully leaving them with the impression they just talked to a friendly person exercising his right to carry. Not the stereotype so many put on a civilian with a gun, a smart mouth, radical, Rambo, gun nut a natural ability I do have and constantly have to suppress. With that said, I thought my original posting was on the slow process of one at a time telling others it is legal to open carry and the fact even in a store like Bas Pro that sells firearms the employees do not know if open carried firearms are allowed in their place of employment.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 12-25-2010 at 01:41 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    I have several answers I use to reply why I carry depending on a quick evaluation of the attitude of the person asking. I want to walk away after answering thinking the person that asked says to himself or herself the answer makes since and maybe help them understand why we do carry. Hopefully leaving them with the impression they just talked to a friendly person exercising his right to carry. Not the stereotype so may put on a civilian with a gun, a smart mouth, radical, Rambo, gun nut a natural ability I do have and constantly have to suppress. With that said, I thought my original posting was on the slow process of one at a time telling others it is legal to open carry and the fact even in a store like Bas Pro that sells firearms the employees do not know if open carried firearms are allowed in their place of employment.
    Good thread, but one question, where is Elephant Fart , Nevada?

  13. #13
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    Good thread, but one question, where is Elephant Fart , Nevada?
    Could it be near the Epicenter?

  14. #14
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Could it be near the Epicenter?
    Well played sir...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    Your dog and I were talking the other day and thought if we both told you that you might listen. By the way, when you hear me in your head, is the audio too loud?

    TBG
    No, but why are you speaking Japanese? I don't understand a word you're saying.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    In the past few weeks shopping in the crowed stores, one store being a very crowed Bass Pro open carrying as usually no problems.......
    New guy here to the forum, I think I will spend more time reading and learning.

    Not trying to change your topic but if Bass Pro allows open carrying then why do they log your gun at the entrance and put a trigger lock on handguns when people go shoot at their range? Then a range employee takes off the lock so you can shoot, then after you finish shooting the employee puts the trigger lock back on? I always though after seeing this done that BPS would not allow OCing.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
    New guy here to the forum, I think I will spend more time reading and learning.

    Not trying to change your topic but if Bass Pro allows open carrying then why do they log your gun at the entrance and put a trigger lock on handguns when people go shoot at their range? Then a range employee takes off the lock so you can shoot, then after you finish shooting the employee puts the trigger lock back on? I always though after seeing this done that BPS would not allow OCing.
    People shoot at their range?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
    New guy here to the forum, I think I will spend more time reading and learning.

    Not trying to change your topic but if Bass Pro allows open carrying then why do they log your gun at the entrance and put a trigger lock on handguns when people go shoot at their range? Then a range employee takes off the lock so you can shoot, then after you finish shooting the employee puts the trigger lock back on? I always though after seeing this done that BPS would not allow OCing.
    It's simply a matter of protocol. Ultimately, if you're going to unholster the weapon in the store, they want you to have a trigger lock on it. It's not just the shooting range. If you're going to be trying out holsters, etc, they would prefer you put a trigger lock on it. It's understandable really, helps prevent accidents. However, if you're simply shopping OC, they have no problem with it. I've never gotten a single word from anybody there.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Sabotage70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fabulous Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by gmijackso View Post
    It's simply a matter of protocol. Ultimately, if you're going to unholster the weapon in the store, they want you to have a trigger lock on it. It's not just the shooting range. If you're going to be trying out holsters, etc, they would prefer you put a trigger lock on it. It's understandable really, helps prevent accidents. However, if you're simply shopping OC, they have no problem with it. I've never gotten a single word from anybody there.
    This.

    The only time I checked in a firearm was a single action 357 that I was hoping they had a holster for. And the lock that they put on didn't really do much good. The thing was pretty loose.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

    RED DRAGONS!!!!

  20. #20
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
    New guy here to the forum, I think I will spend more time reading and learning.

    Not trying to change your topic but if Bass Pro allows open carrying then why do they log your gun at the entrance and put a trigger lock on handguns when people go shoot at their range? Then a range employee takes off the lock so you can shoot, then after you finish shooting the employee puts the trigger lock back on? I always though after seeing this done that BPS would not allow OCing.
    Welcome to the forum. Like to hear from all gun owners. Looks like you got your answer. Read, post and carry open.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Like to hear from all gun owners. Looks like you got your answer. Read, post and carry open.
    Thank you, I will be looking for the next meet up and participating.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.
    Posts
    46

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    This is usually how my conversations go.

    "Excuse me, are you a cop?"
    "No."
    "Why are you carrying that then?"
    "What, my criminal repellent?"
    "Yeah, the gun"
    "Cause the bad guys carry, so why should I leave home without it?"

    I usually have to deal with the ignorant people who think I need to justify my actions. So I beat them in a game of wits. Those who are curious and interested I urge to consider taking their safety into their own hands as well..usually with the question "Do criminals have gun? Then why don't you?".
    I refuse to have a battle of wit's with an unarmed person.
    Tim Castrejon 10/29/1990

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •