Thread: Moving to Corpus Christi

Moving to Corpus Christi

Hi all, I'm moving from the People's Republik of Illinois to the great state of Texas in just a few months. I've been reading up on everything that's been going on down there as far as CC and OC goes. I'm going to be living close to Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, any recommended shops, ranges, or restaurants? I already have a Pennsylvania carry permit which will cover me until I'm a Texas resident. I currently sell firearms here, and I'm going to be looking for a civilian job down there, any gun shops hiring? Are there any groups or clubs that meet in the area?

Go to www.texasguntalk.com. They have a Corpus click, I think.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

EMK,

Welcome to Corpus Christi, when you get here! I've lived here for 16 years now and its a small pond. There is lots here to do if you are an outdoorsman. Most of the people in this city complain about having nothing to do, never realizing whats in their own backyard. To get to you questions,

1. The area around NAS-CCAD is Flour Bluff. My intent here is not to be malicious, but honest. "The Bluff" is what its refered to. I work as a contractor on the base probably once a month. In that area its not uncommon to see people pushing lawnmowers down the street, or someone riding an old bike with a brand new weedeater in tow. It is obvious that these yard tools do not belong to the people possessing them. We call these people Bluff Rats, but jokingly apply the term to everyone living there. Of course I'm referring to 5% of the population, but the area outside the base gates are 100% bluff rat saturated. Depending on your llifestyle, there are a couple of parts of town to live in. If you're single and into urban living, check out the Nueces Lofts in the downton area. Downtown has a marina and on a sunny day it is an impressive view. If you have kids and want them to go to a good school, look at the Calallen/Tuloso ISD area. Its 15 minutes from the city but still in the city limits. The schools in the city allow the kids to come to school looking like whatever. Calallen, or Tuloso are more conservative parts of town. If you're into upscale living, check out communities like Kings Crossing and The Lakes. The island is the area across the JFK Causeway. It is steadiy becoming more populated and the homes over there are very nice.

2. We have three shooting ranges here. The Sharp Shooter is an indoor range with high prices. I only go over there if I want to shoot and its raining. I say high prices because the guns sell at MSRP. There is Starry Gun Range, which is outdoor. Its $10 per gun, free targets. Being outdoor, there is no mechanical means to send/retrieve your targets. The Corpus Christi Rifle Club..never been there.

3. There are a couple of gun shops that I go to. A couple are Texas Gun Shop, Modern Pawn and Gun (dont let the pawn part fool you) Kodiak Fireamrs, and the ever popular Academy and Wal Mart. There are more gun shops, I just havn't been. Modern is a class 3 dealer.

4. Food, hope you like Tex Mex. You can find lots of mom-n-pop restaurants here. Of course we have all the chain/franchises everybody else has. Get used to taco taking on a new meaning. Its most commonly used for breakfast taco.

Let me know if there is anything specifically that I can help you with. Its always good to get new, like minded people in the city.

Well, to explain a little about myself, I'm 23, and I'll be going to TAMUCC (got my acceptance letter Friday), and my new unit will probably be 1/23 at the base, or 4th Recon H&S in San Antonio, with Houston as another possibility. Regardless of this, I am very much the outdoors type. I love hiking more than just about anything. I'm not sure if I actually liked it all the time, or that I forced myself to like it when I HAD to do it, but it's one of my most favorite things to do, and I plan on making some regular trips out west to the mountains.

Unfortunately, because I'm a student and Marine, I don't come bearing much cash, so I'll have to find the right girl that does. Joking aside, I DO like Tex-Mex and the other areas of both of those. My soul pretty much runs on BBQ and burritos. I currently sell guns in my civilian job, so if you know of anyone hiring in the area looking for some help in that area, let me know!

For now, I'm probably going to live in some student apartments off-campus, since the Miramar apartments are technically on-campus, and of course owning a gun there would be a no-no under current law. Any recommendations on places to check out or avoid? Islander Village has my attention right now. It seems nice, but they don't have any pictures of their apartments on their website, only the outside and communal areas, which seems weird to me, being that they only offer one floor plan.

Besides all of this, I'd love to be involved in the community in growing our voices for open carry. It always blows peoples' minds to discover that Texas actually is not as gun-friendly as it is often portrayed to be. Arizona has the actual rights, and Texas has the image, I guess. I'm sure there will be some clubs and things on or off campus and various opportunities to get involved with our cause. I even found here in Illinois that there are college students that actually have brains. They are few and far between, but they're out there. It's time to spread the word!

Thanks,
    Cpl Kroll

Congrats on your acceptance. I have not spent much time in Corpus, but I have a 20-something nephew there, so I should be there more than I am.

Good luck with the move, and try to close the door behind you. I was in Chicagoland for the blizzard, and then we had 5 inches the night I got back to Dallas.

Islander Village is pretty nice and the buildings are only a few years old. I've been there a couple of times and i think they only offer a 4 bedroom with a common kitchen/ living room. Not sure on their pricing. Alta Bayside and Bay Point are also nice, but rent will be 700+. Also check out The Shores and Sky Harbor in the 500 range. All are within 2 miles from campus. There are several Miramar properties here. Call them as I remember one of them offered an all bills paid, 1br for a student and it was $600.

Thanks guys, just waiting on my tax "refund" and I'll be hitting the road to come on down there. I had no idea I could itemize uniform costs until today. I am a happy man.