• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of loaning/lending a gun

mFonz77

I am simultaneously googling this but I know Fred and others knowledgeable on the AZ laws post here a lot so: what is the legality of loaning a long gun to someone who I KNOW (beyond a shadow of a doubt) is not a prohibited possessor. This would be a short-term loan of a long gun for a camping trip, as defense against bears.

rrjenn

I'm not an expert, but I do know you can sell or gift a gun to anyone who has a valid AZ drivers license, and you don't have any reason to believe is a felon who hasn't had their rights restored or been adjudicated as mentally ill, so why would a loan be any different? Unless of course you knew in advance that they were planning to use the gun in a criminal way. I've heard that it's illegal to kill bears for any reason in some state parks though. They expect you to carry non lethal weapons like bear mace or stay out of the bears woods. I believe I heard about Alaska state parks on TV a while back. A park ranger stated it. I would get in touch with rangers to the area your friend is going camping in to make sure. It would probably have more to do with hiking into remote areas than state camping parks.

azcdlfred

I am simultaneously googling this but I know Fred and others knowledgeable on the AZ laws post here a lot so: what is the legality of loaning a long gun to someone who I KNOW (beyond a shadow of a doubt) is not a prohibited possessor. This would be a short-term loan of a long gun for a camping trip, as defense against bears.
In AZ law, there is nothing to prevent you from transferring (even temporarily) to an Arizona resident who is not a prohibited possessor.

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV :dude:

Fred

AZkopper

I'm siding with AZCDLFred on this one.

As long as you have no reason to believe the person is a prohibited possessor and not planning to use the gun in an illegal way, there is no law against loaning, selling, gifting, or otherwise transfering a firearm to another person, permanently or temporarily.

JoeSparky

Centurion
AS FAR AS FEDERAL LAW, you can even LOAN a handgun to a person who is not a resident of your state for use in YOUR state as long as they are not a prohibited person (FELON, UNDERAGE, UNDER INDICTMENT, COVICTION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, etc).

So, a long gun should not be a problem in any way!