• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Easty County UOC

Firemark

New to this board but not to guns.
I've been reading up on all the pamphlets, encounters, suggestions, warnings, etc on the CA forum.
Now that i'm getting a little older and have a wife and a daughter firearms have gone from a hobby to a necessity.
I think i was putting way to much hope in the Peruta case and now that it is (pretty much) over i've decided that UOC is the only viable option.
I seriously considered CC'ing anyway but decided that it's stupid to do as the whole point of UOC is to protect myself and my family which is pretty hard to do behind bars.
Have any of you San Diego folks made up a school zone map? Are there any East County locations that you would be "safe" for a first time UOC outing? (ie out of school zone danger and not ANTI OC)
When is the next outing?

Thanks for your help and input guys.

Back on topic, we are on holiday break for group gatherings, but we do monday nights in San Diego. Just be on the lookout for "San Diego weekly meet up"

Born2Lose

Back on topic, we are on holiday break for group gatherings, but we do monday nights in San Diego. Just be on the lookout for "San Diego weekly meet up"

Thanks Firemark I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone have any locations that aren't opposed or don't make a big deal out of UOC?
Like if i go to Target/Albertsons/Parkway Plaza/etc are they going to freak?
Any good/bad businesses with the East County?

Thanks all.

chewy352

Thanks Firemark I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone have any locations that aren't opposed or don't make a big deal out of UOC?

Thanks all.

The shorter list is who doesn't allow OC.

California Pizza Kitchen
Peets Coffee

I have no knowledge of East county but most people just go. If you ask permission first than you'll probably get a knee jerk no but if you just go in, spend money, and show that you're a normal customer than businesses usually don't mind. If you are asked to leave then respectfully state your case and educate and then leave without making a scene.

619P95

careful with parkway plaza they like to 86 UOCers for life... do a search for Parkway and also westfield shopping centers on this site there are a few people that arent allowed back in them due to UOC

Born2Lose

California Pizza Kitchen
Peets Coffee

I have no knowledge of East county but most people just go. If you ask permission first than you'll probably get a knee jerk no but if you just go in, spend money, and show that you're a normal customer than businesses usually don't mind. If you are asked to leave then respectfully state your case and educate and then leave without making a scene.

I saw the new examiner article today that lists pro and anti in the southbay.
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/businesses-increasingly-welcoming-openly-carried-firearms

careful with parkway plaza they like to 86 UOCers for life... do a search for Parkway and also westfield shopping centers on this site there are a few people that arent allowed back in them due to UOC

Thanks 619P95.
That's the kind of info i'm looking for.
Since I've lived in East County my entire life that'd be very bad if Paul Blart banned me from Parkway Plaza forever.
Althought it'd be a handy excuse as to why i didn't buy an anniversary/birthday/christmas present for my wife. :lol:

Gundude

Thanks all.

At the Parkway Plaza, I've carried at Applebees, Best Buy and Walmart, and across the street at Home Depot. I think the Mall itself is off limits, but I've never carried there. Not sure about Target. I carry in my local Albertsons with no problems.
The best way to find out is to carry, and leave if they ask.

Gundude

I saw the new examiner article today that lists pro and anti in the southbay.
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/businesses-increasingly-welcoming-openly-carried-firearms

Thanks 619P95.
That's the kind of info i'm looking for.
Since I've lived in East County my entire life that'd be very bad if Paul Blart banned me from Parkway Plaza forever.
Althought it'd be a handy excuse as to why i didn't buy an anniversary/birthday/christmas present for my wife. :lol:

Charles Nichols sounds like an old timer. He calls a magazine a clip. I got dogpiled for doing that on this forum. :lol:

Born2Lose

At the Parkway Plaza, I've carried at Applebees, Best Buy and Walmart, and across the street at Home Depot. I think the Mall itself is off limits, but I've never carried there. Not sure about Target. I carry in my local Albertsons with no problems.

Thanks Gundude. Do they typically ask you to leave or ask you to disarm and place it in your car?

Charles Nichols sounds like an old timer. He calls a magazine a clip. I got dogpiled for doing that on this forum. :lol:
poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

clipmag.jpg

Or is there???
MarlinClip001.jpg

I think most people think of gangsta wannabe 'burb kids when someone calls a magazine a clip. I always give my brother a hard time for calling a mag a clip and he just tells me to "Shut up gun dork" :eek:

Last edited:

Gundude

I've only been asked to leave one store. The manager asked if I was an LEO. I said no, and he just asked me to leave. I didn't argue with him, I just left and haven't been back.
Mall security often tries to be hard about it, asking for ID and such. I don't give ID or information to the cops, so I would never give a mall cop any information either. If they ask you to leave and you don't, they can have you arrested for trespass.

1245A Defender

i dont count, but,,,

i get tired of hearing that, applying for a permit, only to be denied,
will hurt your application in another state!
i ask, will florida or utah, be surprised that,
CALIFORNIA denied your application for a concealed carry permit?

califiornians need a real way to carry a gun for personal self defense!
what ever gets them there the fastest is the bestest way to go!

Firemark

California Pizza Kitchen
Peets Coffee

+1

Firemark

Care should be taken regarding parkway plaza, there is an elementary school that is directly adjacent to the other side of the freeway. So measuring from that property line puts part of the food court and most likely Wal Mart within 1000ft. Please do your own research and check for yourself. I found it on google and mapquest search "schools".

Born2Lose

Care should be taken regarding parkway plaza, there is an elementary school that is directly adjacent to the other side of the freeway. So measuring from that property line puts part of the food court and most likely Wal Mart within 1000ft. Please do your own research and check for yourself. I found it on google and mapquest search "schools".

Aren't the food court and walmart private property..hence no worry of school zones? :eek:

Gundude

Aren't the food court and walmart private property..hence no worry of school zones? :eek:

Private property is only PRIVATE, when it is not open to the public. Fenced or walled in. The food court is completly open to the public. Parkway plaza policy is NO GUNS.

mjones

Private property is only PRIVATE, when it is not open to the public. Fenced or walled in. The food court is completly open to the public. Parkway plaza policy is NO GUNS.

Private Property is ALWAYS Private Property - it never magically changes
Some Private Property is openly accessible to the Public.

Irregardless of an erroneous conviction of Theseus by a hardcore antigun DA and a Judge that completely disallowed any discussion of the Private Property aspect of PC626.9 - The law is very clear...

PC626.9 Specifically provides an exemption for private property (which is not a portion of the school grounds)

What you may be confusing is the language of PC12031 which is specifically about "Public Places" - without regard to Public/Private status of the property. That's where Overturf comes into play a place being Publicly Accessible Private Property.

PC12025 also has exemptions for private property which you own/posses.

So, UOC in a school zone while on private property is perfectly legal (but you darn well better have the money to back it up if you get charged, because you can guarantee that Theseus' case will get dragged into it.)

Unlicensed CCW is perfectly legal in the front yard of your home - regardless of whether or not its fenced, etc.

However, DO NOT ever carry loaded in your front yard if you are in an incorporated or prohibited area IF its accessible to the public.

ConsideringOC

I measured it out awhile ago when another member got stopped. A good portion of the southwest part of Parkway Plaza falls into the 1000' area of Johnson Elementary. This includes Walmart.

Firemark

Another option that may be better is Santee town square. Almost the entire area is greater than 1000 ft. Its where the Trolley terminates, there is a Starbucks, many restaurants, outdoor seating. Check it out on map websites.

Born2Lose

Another option that may be better is Santee town square. Almost the entire area is greater than 1000 ft. Its where the Trolley terminates, there is a Starbucks, many restaurants, outdoor seating. Check it out on map websites.

I am quite familiar with that area. I remember when it was just little leauge fields.
I'll use that as my first UOC location. Thanks.

Firemark

Santee Trolley center

Just some info, I have UOC'd there before, outdoor food court area, and got "E" checked by accident, was buying a sandwhich around lunch time when 2 Sheriff Deputies came in for lunch also, 911 was not accessed, just coincidence they wanted Quiznos too, took them a good 2 minutes before they noticed I was armed, there is a Sheriff substation there in the mall. The E check was polite and friendly.

Pretty much the entire intersection complex is 1000 ft. safe including Home Depot, Vons area Costco area. Only the back part of Walmart comes within a school zone that I can find. Please do your own research though people.
(important note these businessess are in clear zones but they may still contact LE or ask you to leave, i.e. Costco).

Many San Diegan UOC'rs are from east county so dont be surprised if we schedule some monday night meets here in the near future.

also I spoke with a security guard hired by the mall, the code of conduct for the mall says nothing about firearms, and he said he wouldnt have a problem with it, just remember though this is only 1 security I spoke with.

Last edited: