Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a few potential CCW pistols for the future...

Looking at a few potential CCW pistols for the future...

Well with WI staring down the barrel of CCW in 2011 (yes, pun intended ), I've been looking into potential CCW pistols, seeing as my usual carry Beretta 90-two is not very concealable. As of now, I've got my eye on either the Kel-tec P11 or the Taurus 740 slim. Anybody have any experience with the above mentioned weapons? Or if not, what do you guys recomend? Or for that matter, who's planning on carrying what and why? Any input would be great! Thanks ahead of time guys.

Landose out...

I own a kel-tec p11 and its concealable but it shoots like crap so go with the taurus 740.
    Capricorn

I'm planning on a Walther PPS in .40. The pistol is so slim! I'm a bit worried about recoil as compared to the 9mm but I will do more research on it as the "new gun fund" matures.

Three weeks ago I picked up a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45. It was a little on the pricey side, but I think it was worth it. I absolutely love everything about the gun. It is basically a shorter barrel 1911. You may give up being able to carry a lot of rounds in it, but it is wickedly accurate, and you can always carry extra clips.

In the hot summer months it's hard to beat the Ruger LCP. I know a 380 is a little on the light side but you can hide the pistol anywhere without any problems.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    In the hot summer months it's hard to beat the Ruger LCP. I know a 380 is a little on the light side but you can hide the pistol anywhere without any problems.
    +1

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Thumbs up CCW whatever you want....

Quote Originally Posted by Landose_theghost View Post
    Well with WI staring down the barrel of CCW in 2011 (yes, pun intended ), I've been looking into potential CCW pistols, seeing as my usual carry Beretta 90-two is not very concealable. As of now, I've got my eye on either the Kel-tec P11 or the Taurus 740 slim. Anybody have any experience with the above mentioned weapons? Or if not, what do you guys recomend? Or for that matter, who's planning on carrying what and why? Any input would be great! Thanks ahead of time guys.

Landose out...
    If you get yourself a SmartCarry holster you can conceal just about any pistol you want to, up to and including your Beretta 90-two... plus a spare magazine.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

XD45 compact
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Get a Kahr or Glock.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

I've been mulling this over as well.

While I love the look of a compact 1911 in all stainless, I dislike 1911's after my experiences with a couple I've had in the past. I'm currently considering quite a few, but realistically it'll probably come down to a Glock 30.

Glock 30 - .45acp, high capacity for a compact
    Glock 36 - .45acp, slim frame, average capacity
    EAA Witness P Compact - .45acp, good capacity
    Taurus PT 145 or 24/7 (in .45acp) - .45acp, good to high capacity (I forget which)
    Kahr's .45 compact

Of course, if price wasn't a concern, I'd go with a Sig P220 Compact - .45acp, average capacity, slim frame.

Like I said, I'll probably end up with the Glock 30. and yes, I'm biased towards .45s. lol.

I apologize if I got any of the details for any of those wrong, I'm only home to let the dog out and then back to the hospital to be with the wife and our new baby. I think I'm fairly accurate about them all, though.

I too have a LCP, with the belt clip, it is very easy to cc. My XD .40 Sub-Compact is short, but it is fat enough, that it is hard for me to hide.

Here is my Kahr MK9 6+1 of 9mm in a small package.

In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Banned

The devil Beelzebub is in the details.

Here is an excerpt from a CCW only state's concealment requirements; ""Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension ..."

Any aspect of gun design could be excepted from those permitted by the state in the deal making compromise process.

Landose out...
    I've concealed a Taurus PT92 (same size as the Beretta 92) with no issues. I'm not a particularly big guy.

But if you are partial to the design you could stay with the Beretta line and try to fine a Centurion or even better a 92M single stack...

If you want even smaller and lighter there is the PX4 Compact in 9mm or the Cheetah series in .380ACP.

(Or you could try my personal favorite, the Springfield Armory XDsc in 9mm.)
    Last edited by Archangel; 12-21-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added info

Landose out...
    I plan to carry the Keltec PF9. It's compact, light weight, and shoots well.

Everything above and i'd add a Glock 29 to the mix.

I'll be picking up an HK P7.

Always wanted one, now I have an excuse to pick it up. It might not be a SIG, but the factories are 300 miles apart in Germany, I guess I can handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    If you get yourself a SmartCarry holster you can conceal just about any pistol you want to, up to and including your Beretta 90-two... plus a spare magazine.
    Those look ungodly uncomfortable.

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of good choices, altho now I've got like 100 more pistols that are calling my name lol! Now if I only had the extra $$ I'd be swimming in firearms .

@ Ivan Sample- You said that the Keltec "shoots like crap", is that accuracy wise or FTF's and what not? thx.

@ Jonny Amish- Hows that .380 LCP handle JHP's? I've got a buddy who owns one, and he says they can be picky with what they eat. thx

I will be carrying a Ruger p89 with a LCP as well.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

I'd recommend a baby Glock, any caliber of your choice. IMHO they are the most versatile. 10+1 rounds is more than enough, plus they accept the higher capacity mags. I carry mine in an ankle holster, an Uncle Mikes Gun mate pack, a Blackhawk Serpa holster, or the inside pocket of a suit coat or winter jacket using Clip Draw. I wear Faded Glory jeans from Walmart and the front pockets easily accept a Glock subcompact. Just use a sweater or jacket to cover the grip sticking out.

If you're overly concerned about carrying a loaded Glock in your pocket, Clip Draw sells a device called "Glock Block" that works nicely. Or an aftermarket safety is available for about $150.

If you go for the 9mm or 40S&W you can also get a Kel-Tec Sub2000 or an Olympic Arms GL. Both rifles shoot the same caliber as the Glock and accept Glock mags. If you prefer a different caliber Mech Tech makes carbines out of Glocks in .45.
    I like having a rifle and pistol that take the same ammo and mags.

I carry the Glock 26. I prefer the lighter recoil of the 9mm. But I've found the Glock 27 (.40) shoots just fine also.

Springfield XD

Most of my concealed carry life I have carried the Springfield Ultra Compact (Now the EMP) in .45 ACP. These days I am carrying the Springfield XD-9 and occasionally the Springfield XD-45. Both fit in the same holster. I carry concealed in a Blackhawk holster with straight or cant configuration at about 3:30 - 4:00 position. Both conceal well with an open sweater or tactical shirt. By back up is a Kel Tek P-32 in an in-the-pocket holster by Galco.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

@ Oak1971, you ever feel like parting with that lil lady send me a PM.

@ Jonny Amish- Hows that .380 LCP handle JHP's? I've got a buddy who owns one, and he says they can be picky with what they eat. thx
    I've put a box of hornadys through mine to make sure there were no issues and no problem. Many target rounds with zero issues. Surprisingly accurate with a little practice.

I have run several different brands of ammo through it, FMJ and JHP'S, to date, I have had no problems.
    The LCP is an amazingly accurate pistol for having such a short barrel.
    I was a bit skeptical until a friend bought one and we shot it, now I am sold.
    Last edited by johnny amish; 12-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast