• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking at a few potential CCW pistols for the future...

pkbites

I'd recommend a baby Glock, any caliber of your choice. IMHO they are the most versatile. 10+1 rounds is more than enough, plus they accept the higher capacity mags. I carry mine in an ankle holster, an Uncle Mikes Gun mate pack, a Blackhawk Serpa holster, or the inside pocket of a suit coat or winter jacket using Clip Draw. I wear Faded Glory jeans from Walmart and the front pockets easily accept a Glock subcompact. Just use a sweater or jacket to cover the grip sticking out.

If you're overly concerned about carrying a loaded Glock in your pocket, Clip Draw sells a device called "Glock Block" that works nicely. Or an aftermarket safety is available for about $150.

If you go for the 9mm or 40S&W you can also get a Kel-Tec Sub2000 or an Olympic Arms GL. Both rifles shoot the same caliber as the Glock and accept Glock mags. If you prefer a different caliber Mech Tech makes carbines out of Glocks in .45.
I like having a rifle and pistol that take the same ammo and mags.

I carry the Glock 26. I prefer the lighter recoil of the 9mm. But I've found the Glock 27 (.40) shoots just fine also.

jpm84092

Springfield XD

Most of my concealed carry life I have carried the Springfield Ultra Compact (Now the EMP) in .45 ACP. These days I am carrying the Springfield XD-9 and occasionally the Springfield XD-45. Both fit in the same holster. I carry concealed in a Blackhawk holster with straight or cant configuration at about 3:30 - 4:00 position. Both conceal well with an open sweater or tactical shirt. By back up is a Kel Tek P-32 in an in-the-pocket holster by Galco.

Canard

@ Jonny Amish- Hows that .380 LCP handle JHP's? I've got a buddy who owns one, and he says they can be picky with what they eat. thx

I've put a box of hornadys through mine to make sure there were no issues and no problem. Many target rounds with zero issues. Surprisingly accurate with a little practice.

johnny amish

@ Jonny Amish- Hows that .380 LCP handle JHP's? I've got a buddy who owns one, and he says they can be picky with what they eat. thx

I have run several different brands of ammo through it, FMJ and JHP'S, to date, I have had no problems.
The LCP is an amazingly accurate pistol for having such a short barrel.
I was a bit skeptical until a friend bought one and we shot it, now I am sold.

Last edited:

mliederbach

I'd recommend a baby Glock, any caliber of your choice. IMHO they are the most versatile. 10+1 rounds is more than enough, plus they accept the higher capacity mags. I carry mine in an ankle holster, an Uncle Mikes Gun mate pack, a Blackhawk Serpa holster, or the inside pocket of a suit coat or winter jacket using Clip Draw. I wear Faded Glory jeans from Walmart and the front pockets easily accept a Glock subcompact. Just use a sweater or jacket to cover the grip sticking out.

If you're overly concerned about carrying a loaded Glock in your pocket, Clip Draw sells a device called "Glock Block" that works nicely. Or an aftermarket safety is available for about $150.

If you go for the 9mm or 40S&W you can also get a Kel-Tec Sub2000 or an Olympic Arms GL. Both rifles shoot the same caliber as the Glock and accept Glock mags. If you prefer a different caliber Mech Tech makes carbines out of Glocks in .45.
I like having a rifle and pistol that take the same ammo and mags.

I carry the Glock 26. I prefer the lighter recoil of the 9mm. But I've found the Glock 27 (.40) shoots just fine also.

I love the Clipdraw. I have one for my Glock 27 and a clip holster for my KelTec PF9.

junkie

I have been looking arround for a concealable gun as well. I keep getting drawn back to the Smith and Wesson 360 or the Ruger LCR 357. I really like the reliability of the wheel guns. No jams, no mis fires, just squeeze and go. They are only 5 shots, but if you can't hit what you are aming for in 5 shots, you won't hit it in 8 shots either. I have never had a problem with auto's jamming or mis firing, but when it comes to using a gun to save my life, I want to take out as many varibles as possible. If I had to go with an auto it would be the Ruger LCP or the Kel-Tec 3AT.

oak1971

I guess it depends on the individual, but I can almost forget that I'm wearing my 1911. YMMV

I don't think that the person in these attachments looks too uncomfortable....

Sorry, but she looks like she has a shlong. Either that or there's a gun in her crotch.

jayspapa

I own a Kimber tactical ultra and a Kel-Tec PF-9. I don't know about the P-11 as far as accuracy goes but the PF-9 is plenty accurate. I have shot a 8" gong at 50 yards with ave. of 50% hits each mag. That is more than accurate enough for defense work.

Plus as thin as the PF-9 is , it just disappears from sight. If you go with a PF-9 do some buffing on the casting line though. It is left a little rough. Mine was anyway. Some fine grit sandpaper and about 10 min. and you would be set to go. I also had to lightly sand the tip of the trigger on mine.

All of the suggestions are great . You just need to pick the one that fits you best.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I am considering a number of potential CCW weapons....

Charter Arms 38 Special Snub nose detective special
Ruger SP101 357 Mag
Kimber Ultra Carry
CZ compact
Kahr Arms compact 9mm

Last edited:

Have Gun - Will Carry

I've been mulling this over as well.

While I love the look of a compact 1911 in all stainless, I dislike 1911's after my experiences with a couple I've had in the past. I'm currently considering quite a few, but realistically it'll probably come down to a Glock 30.

<SNIP>

Like I said, I'll probably end up with the Glock 30. and yes, I'm biased towards .45s. lol.

I apologize if I got any of the details for any of those wrong, I'm only home to let the dog out and then back to the hospital to be with the wife and our new baby. I think I'm fairly accurate about them all, though.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family, Don! But did I actually see someone use the words "dislike" and "1911" in the same sentence? :eek: Oh, the horror! :cry: JK - everybody's tastes are different. (and some are VERY different!)

Seriously though, my 4" barrel Springfield Champion 1911 is great for OC, but even at my size (6'2" & too d@mn many lbs!) I wouldn't want to conceal it in the summer. My wife has a Star Firestar .40 that she doesn't use (lucky me!) that's about the right size, so I'll probably CC with that for now.

I do have a strong preference for calibers with a minimum o.d. of at least four hundred thousandths, and so never had much use for the 9mm or smaller rounds. But I must admit, once CC becomes legal here I'll be lusting after a Kahr PM9 (like the MK9 but with a polymer frame.) Tiny, exceptionally light, and supposedly very reliable. Anybody have experience with these?

I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm outside waistband 6 days per week and it conceals just fine with a untucked shirt. The gun is double action only so it does have a long trigger pull but it also has the double strike feature which could come in handy if you ran into a cartridge with a hard primer that failed to fire the first time. You can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall again every time without having to rack the slide. It is not a range gun but is accurate from 15 yards on in. I haven't tried it any further out than 15 yards. They come with a 10 round magazine but Kel-Tec also makes a 12 round flush fit magazine which gives you 13 rounds capacity.
I also have a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II which conceals good but I would rather have 13 rounds of 9mm available instead of 8 rounds of 45ACP and the Kel-Tec is lighter. But that is just me.

Spartacus

Banned
In AZ I carry a Ruger LCP in .380 at all times along with whatever OC gun I'm in the mood for.

When we get concealed carry I will probably carry the Kimber Ultralites (if you can't hit 'em with 8 rounds you won't hit 'em with 13).

Another possibility is the Para-Ordnance Warthog. Its a sweet little mid-priced .45 that fit my hand like a glove and is 10+1:

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_hawg.php

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Why no Mention of the XDm?

I plan on carrying a 4.5" XDm in .40, I used to conceal a ruger GP-100 4" Heavy Barrel in attire suited for Florida summers, So revolvers are not out of the question.

I came to the conclusion that capacity is more important than caliber to me, so I will continue to carry my XDm.

And Springfield also has the XDm 3.8 now, that would fit into anything nicely, even the crotch holster pictured a few posts back

RR_Broccoli

Wisconsin gun shops will be facing a small rush to get small pistols. Though I COULD carry a full size, I probably wouldn't due to bulk and weight.

I will be picking up a Kel-Tec PF9, I already shoot 9MM and don't want to deal with possible ammo shortages. (During the great ammo shortage of 2009, .380 was hard to come by, expensive, or simply not available at the places I frequent.)

I really sorta want a Chiappa Rhino 200DS. That would fit my "wheel gun" and .357 desires and work as a second carry gun.

comp45acp

I will carry the same pistol I carry now. A 4" 1911, full size frame with the bobtail cut on the mainspring housing. Easily concealed in a Milt Sparks VM-2. I don't understand why some of you would choose to carry a mouse gun when concealed carry becomes lawful. Just saying, if you want to carry a mouse gun, why don't you open carry it now? Don't understand why someone would want to carry a tiny handgun with a minimally effective cartridge. Not saying I would never carry a mouse gun, there may be times and places it would be appropriate, but not for daily carry. As famous trainer Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch says "Carrying a handgun is not meant to be comfortable, it's meant to be comforting."

Last edited:

protias

I will carry the same pistol I carry now. A 4" 1911, full size frame with the bobtail cut on the mainspring housing. Easily concealed in a Milt Sparks VM-2. I don't understand why some of you would choose to carry a mouse gun when concealed carry becomes lawful. Just saying, if you want to carry a mouse gun, why don't you open carry it now? Don't understand why someone would want to carry a tiny handgun with a minimally effective cartridge. Not saying I would never carry a mouse gun, there may be times and places it would be appropriate, but not for daily carry. As famous trainer Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch says "Carrying a handgun is not meant to be comfortable, it's meant to be comforting."

Ruger SP101 is a .357. And of course, I have my XD45 compact, and my XD45 service. Perhaps this summer I'll pick up the SP101, but right now, I'm stocking up on more ammo.

Archangel

I'll be picking up an HK P7.

It might not be a SIG...

Correct. It's BETTER! :D

I never shot one that didn't shoot like a freaking LAZER beam.

SUPER accurate.

Wish my pocketbook could afford a stable of them.

Most of my concealed carry life I have carried the Springfield Ultra Compact (Now the EMP) in .45 ACP.
The Ultra Compact is NOT the EMP. The EMP is only available in 9mm and .40 and was designed around those cartridge OAL.

I have an Ultra Compact V10. The EMP is smaller. They redesigned around 35 parts to manufacture the EMP.

Just wanted to clarify that they are not the same.

Last edited: