• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking at a few potential CCW pistols for the future...

Landose_theghost

Well with WI staring down the barrel of CCW in 2011 (yes, pun intended :D), I've been looking into potential CCW pistols, seeing as my usual carry Beretta 90-two is not very concealable. As of now, I've got my eye on either the Kel-tec P11 or the Taurus 740 slim. Anybody have any experience with the above mentioned weapons? Or if not, what do you guys recomend? Or for that matter, who's planning on carrying what and why? Any input would be great! Thanks ahead of time guys.

Landose out...

Carcharodon

I'm planning on a Walther PPS in .40. The pistol is so slim! I'm a bit worried about recoil as compared to the 9mm but I will do more research on it as the "new gun fund" matures.

metalman383

Three weeks ago I picked up a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45. It was a little on the pricey side, but I think it was worth it. I absolutely love everything about the gun. It is basically a shorter barrel 1911. You may give up being able to carry a lot of rounds in it, but it is wickedly accurate, and you can always carry extra clips.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
CCW whatever you want....

Well with WI staring down the barrel of CCW in 2011 (yes, pun intended :D), I've been looking into potential CCW pistols, seeing as my usual carry Beretta 90-two is not very concealable. As of now, I've got my eye on either the Kel-tec P11 or the Taurus 740 slim. Anybody have any experience with the above mentioned weapons? Or if not, what do you guys recomend? Or for that matter, who's planning on carrying what and why? Any input would be great! Thanks ahead of time guys.

Landose out...

If you get yourself a SmartCarry holster you can conceal just about any pistol you want to, up to and including your Beretta 90-two... plus a spare magazine. :lol:

The Don

I've been mulling this over as well.

While I love the look of a compact 1911 in all stainless, I dislike 1911's after my experiences with a couple I've had in the past. I'm currently considering quite a few, but realistically it'll probably come down to a Glock 30.

Glock 30 - .45acp, high capacity for a compact
Glock 36 - .45acp, slim frame, average capacity
EAA Witness P Compact - .45acp, good capacity
Taurus PT 145 or 24/7 (in .45acp) - .45acp, good to high capacity (I forget which)
Kahr's .45 compact

Of course, if price wasn't a concern, I'd go with a Sig P220 Compact - .45acp, average capacity, slim frame.

Like I said, I'll probably end up with the Glock 30. and yes, I'm biased towards .45s. lol.

I apologize if I got any of the details for any of those wrong, I'm only home to let the dog out and then back to the hospital to be with the wife and our new baby. I think I'm fairly accurate about them all, though.

metalman383

I too have a LCP, with the belt clip, it is very easy to cc. My XD .40 Sub-Compact is short, but it is fat enough, that it is hard for me to hide.

oak1971

Here is my Kahr MK9 6+1 of 9mm in a small package.

mk9elite-1.jpg

__

Banned
The devil Beelzebub is in the details.

Here is an excerpt from a CCW only state's concealment requirements; ""Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension ..."

Any aspect of gun design could be excepted from those permitted by the state in the deal making compromise process.

Archangel

Landose out...

I've concealed a Taurus PT92 (same size as the Beretta 92) with no issues. I'm not a particularly big guy.

But if you are partial to the design you could stay with the Beretta line and try to fine a Centurion or even better a 92M single stack...

If you want even smaller and lighter there is the PX4 Compact in 9mm or the Cheetah series in .380ACP.

(Or you could try my personal favorite, the Springfield Armory XDsc in 9mm.)

Last edited:

mliederbach

Landose out...

I plan to carry the Keltec PF9. It's compact, light weight, and shoots well.

SIGdude

I'll be picking up an HK P7.

Always wanted one, now I have an excuse to pick it up. It might not be a SIG, but the factories are 300 miles apart in Germany, I guess I can handle that.

Landose_theghost

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of good choices, altho now I've got like 100 more pistols that are calling my name lol! Now if I only had the extra $$ I'd be swimming in firearms :D.

@ Ivan Sample- You said that the Keltec "shoots like crap", is that accuracy wise or FTF's and what not? thx.

@ Jonny Amish- Hows that .380 LCP handle JHP's? I've got a buddy who owns one, and he says they can be picky with what they eat. thx