• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Law Petition and Knife Preemption Petition

xmanhockey7

I was looking around on the internet and I happened to come across this petition. The problem is I don't know how old it is or anything but I figure hey mine as well post it here especially since there is only mine and the creators signature on it. The petition is to allow open carriers (without CPL) to carry in places that serve alcohol the same as CPL holders. It also talked about having a State Preemption law for knifes. Sorry if this is an outdated petition and I'm just too ignorant to realize it and have wasted your time. Thanks

http://www.petitiononline.com/carrylaw/petition.html

stainless1911

Banned
Quoted from petition :

That would make it so that hunters,target shooters,and almost every other firearms owner can go pick up a loaf of bread and get some gas without accidentally committing a felony!

Its not a felony:eek:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I was looking around on the internet and I happened to come across this petition. The problem is I don't know how old it is or anything but I figure hey mine as well post it here especially since there is only mine and the creators signature on it. The petition is to allow open carriers (without CPL) to carry in places that serve alcohol the same as CPL holders. It also talked about having a State Preemption law for knifes. Sorry if this is an outdated petition and I'm just too ignorant to realize it and have wasted your time. Thanks

http://www.petitiononline.com/carrylaw/petition.html

don't know if it's outdated or not, but it's poorly written and only 3 people have signed it. i don't know how much credibility online petitions hold.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
A very young Tyler wrote this I think? Copy write 2007?

don't know if it's outdated or not, but it's poorly written and only 3 people have signed it. i don't know how much credibility online petitions hold.

Hey SLM,

This info was at the bottom of the web page:

The Fix Michigan weapons laws! Petition to State of Michigan was created by and written by Tyler Hilliker (lil_freak_66@yahoo.com). This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.

** No shot at Tyler intended, just saying a good idea tried by someone very young at the time, that is all I'm saying.**

Last edited:

Jared

Maybe we should look into getting our own petition going that is like this.

Or people who are interested can copy my bill draft and nag their state reps to sponsor my bill and get it passed. I covered all angles in my bill draft and it would make MI a very knife friendly state and the bill has preemption for all weapons.

I always bring this up at MOC gatherings when I'm there and I've posted about it many times on here.

If people are intersted, they should know what to do. I've been trying to get Opsommer to sponser my bill, but if none of you guys email him and ask him then it won't happen

Who cares about online petitions or whatever, you need to contact your reps.

Two and a half years ago, I wrote a knife preemption bill, I handed it to a very prominent group in the state. The Senate majority leader said the cimate wasn't right.... 2 years later, more interest gathered and another group rewrote what I wrote, lobbied, and got it passed.... the state was.... Arizona.

I'm also beginning to work with a couple of guys from the Free State Project who are in the General Court in New Hampshire, it shouldn't be a problem for them to pass a weapons preemption bill and a repeal of all banned "arns".

It can happen here in MI too but anyone who wants it who hasn't lifted a finger to contact a state rep, needs to take 10 minutes to make it happen.

Haman J.T.

Or people who are interested can copy my bill draft and nag their state reps to sponsor my bill and get it passed. I covered all angles in my bill draft and it would make MI a very knife friendly state and the bill has preemption for all weapons.

I always bring this up at MOC gatherings when I'm there and I've posted about it many times on here.

If people are intersted, they should know what to do. I've been trying to get Opsommer to sponser my bill, but if none of you guys email him and ask him then it won't happen

Who cares about online petitions or whatever, you need to contact your reps.

Two and a half years ago, I wrote a knife preemption bill, I handed it to a very prominent group in the state. The Senate majority leader said the cimate wasn't right.... 2 years later, more interest gathered and another group rewrote what I wrote, lobbied, and got it passed.... the state was.... Arizona.

I'm also beginning to work with a couple of guys from the Free State Project who are in the General Court in New Hampshire, it shouldn't be a problem for them to pass a weapons preemption bill and a repeal of all banned "arns".

It can happen here in MI too but anyone who wants it who hasn't lifted a finger to contact a state rep, needs to take 10 minutes to make it happen.
So let us read it,copy it and send it to our Reps.

Jared

So let us read it,copy it and send it to our Reps.

The Bill draft can be found in my thread

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83378-Knife-Preemption-and-carrying-knives-on-a-CPL

Venator brought it up here as well, but I dont think the bill draft is in the link below, just more history

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84038-AZ-preemption-on-knives-Need-for-Michigan

I've beat this issue into the ground with Rep Opsommer to get him to sponsor the bill, he is probably tired of hearing from me and NEEDS TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE. My thinking is after he gets swamped with requests for the bill, then we can let our reps know, because until he sponsors the bill, there is no bill to support.

Haman J.T.

The Bill draft can be found in my thread

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83378-Knife-Preemption-and-carrying-knives-on-a-CPL

Venator brought it up here as well, but I dont think the bill draft is in the link below, just more history

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84038-AZ-preemption-on-knives-Need-for-Michigan

I've beat this issue into the ground with Rep Opsommer to get him to sponsor the bill, he is probably tired of hearing from me and NEEDS TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE. My thinking is after he gets swamped with requests for the bill, then we can let our reps know, because until he sponsors the bill, there is no bill to support.
Is he the only Rep that can sponsor the bill?

Jared

Is he the only Rep that can sponsor the bill?

No, I've sent it to Jones as well but Opsommer is a true 2A supporter and is probably the best person to get the ball rolling. By all means, if anyone is friendly with other reps, please try to get them on board.

The more people pushing this, the better.