• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Law and Open Carry / Concealed Carry

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of residence!!

Thank you for posting that, this will finally settle a disagreement between myself and another WI-OCDO member from a week or two ago.

Whoever you are, please read page 3 of the attached file, bottom left hand column, and it is continued in the upper right hand column.

It clearly states that to carry a pistol in MI, you must have licensing from your state of residence to do so, A non-resident permit from a state other than your home state does NOT qualify!
Since WI does not have licensing requirements, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY IN MI, But an IL resident can carry openly in MI due to the FOID card requirement for IL residents.

Here is a snippet for you;
Possession of pistols by non-residents
MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in Michigan without complying with Michigan’s pistol registration requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states from Michigan’s pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following requirements are met:
1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase, transport, or carry a pistol,
2.The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
3.The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
4.The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in MCL 750.231a, and
5.The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to establish residency here.
A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol license issued by their state of residence.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Looks clear to me.

Thank you for posting that, this will finally settle a disagreement between myself and another WI-OCDO member from a week or two ago.

Whoever you are, please read page 3 of the attached file, bottom left hand column, and it is continued in the upper right hand column.

It clearly states that to carry a pistol in MI, you must have licensing from your state of residence to do so, A non-resident permit from a state other than your home state does NOT qualify!
Since WI does not have licensing requirements, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY IN MI, But an IL resident can carry openly in MI due to the FOID card requirement for IL residents.

MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in Michigan without complying with Michigan’s pistol registration requirements.
Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states from Michigan’s pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following requirements are met:
1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase, transport, or carry a pistol,
4.The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in MCL 750.231a, and
5.The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to establish residency here.
A non-resident must present the license issued by his or her state of residence to a police officer upon demand. Failure to do so is a 90-day misdemeanor. When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol license issued by their state of residence.

MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in Michigan without complying with Michigan’s pistol registration requirements.

This is known as the Janet Kukuk Act. Here it is in it's entirety:
28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; citation as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

(2) The amendatory act that added subsection (1)(h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".
MCL 28.432; known as The “Janet Kukuk Act", modifies MCL 28.422 to allow a person holding a CCW issued by a state different than Michigan to Open Carry in Michigan. It does NOT specify a RESIDENT CCW permit issued by another state to Open Carry in Michigan.

I wonder if any of our Michigan forum friends know who Janet Kukuk is/was?

Last edited:

littlewolf

MCL 28.432 makes it legal for non-residents of Michigan who hold valid CPLs issued by another state to possess a non-concealed pistol in Michigan without complying with Michigan’s pistol registration requirements. Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states from Michigan’s pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following requirements are met:

May be we ought to carry acopy of Art1 sec25 of our constitution because that is OUR LICENSE !

apjonas

Gotta Luv It!

I can only surmise that jpm84092 wants to yank my chain. Otherwise why start a Michigan thread in the Wisconsin forum? Or why not submit the information in the thread that generated the interest? I predicted somebody would start a new thread on this issue within 6 months but 4 days is ridiculous. So what is the correct answer? Can a resident of Wisconsin holding a Florida CCW carry openly in Michigan? The polls are now open.

Last edited:

Cobbersmom

I can only surmise that jpm84092 wants to yank my chain. Otherwise why start a Michigan thread in the Wisconsin forum? Or why not submit the information in the thread that generated the interest? I predicted somebody would start a new thread on this issue within 6 months but 4 days is ridiculous. So what is the correct answer? Can a resident of Wisconsin holding a Florida CCW carry openly in Michigan? The polls are now open.

"Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states from Michigan’s pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following requirements are met:
1. The person is licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase, transport, or carry a pistol,"

Technically I am NOT licensed by the state of Wisconsin to carry a gun. I can open carry because it's not forbidden and the constitution stuff. So if I am not licensed by my state of residence (WI) I cannot carry in MI. HA, that doesn't stop me tho. I usually am way out in the woods exploring on my dirt bike and won't go without protection. Also thought I read somewhere about not even being able to transport a gun over the state line in my vehicle. Not going to look for it but I did have it confirmed by their DNR a few years ago.
By the way, I appreciate that this was posted so quickly because it's still fresh in my mind.

Cobbersmom

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html#FIREARMSFAQS

2. Can a resident of another state legally possess a pistol in Michigan?

If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit (MCL 28.432 & MCL 28.432a). However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are subject to Michigan's concealed pistol law including but not limited to restrictions on where a concealed pistol may be carried. Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan.

Their open carry sounds like ours, its not forbidden. Notice the last sentence tho, if you don't have a CPL (described elsewhere as from you state of residence) then you cannot have a pistol at all in Michigan. Not as nice there as I used to think. Hmmm, also sounds like a licensed person can open carry in a vehicle tho (not us up there).

Bronson

I'll try.

Concealed carry/loaded vehicle carry:

*Michigan CPL
*Concealed pistol license from your state of residence
*Law enforcement officer carrying under the authority of the LEOSA

Open carry (no loaded vehicle carry allowed, must follow transport laws):

*Michigan pistol registration
*Concealed pistol license from any other state
*A license/permit to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol from your state of residence as long as:
***you have license/permit with you
***you must be the legal owner of the pistol
***you're possessing the pistol for lawful purposes
***you're in MI for 180 days or less with no intent of establishing residency

Also with a concealed license from any state you are exempt from the general Firearms Free zones (open carry), and since our Concealed Carry law specifically calls out places you cannot carry a CONCEALED pistol it does not apply to an openly carried pisitol.

So with a concealed license from any state, regardless of residency, a non-MI resident may openly carry their legally possessed pistol in most of the MI state level pistol/firearm free zones (courts/court offices, sterile areas of airports, Federal Reserve Bank in Detroit, and fed. buildings are still a no-go).

I think that's it. It's late, I'm going to bed :D

Bronson

Last edited:

davegran

I finally get to use the word "conflation" in a sentence....

I'll try.

Concealed carry/loaded vehicle carry: 28.422

Michigan CPL
Or: Concealed pistol license from your state of residence
Or: Law enforcement officer carrying under the authority of the LEOSA

Open carry (no loaded vehicle carry allowed, must follow transport laws): 28.432

Michigan pistol registration
Or: Concealed pistol license from any other state
Or: A license/permit to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol from your state of residence as long as:

• you have license/permit with you
  • you must be the legal owner of the pistol
  • you're possessing the pistol for lawful purposes
  • you're in MI for 180 days or less with no intent of establishing residency

Also with a concealed license from any state you are exempt from the general Firearms Free zones (open carry), and since our Concealed Carry law specifically calls out places you cannot carry a CONCEALED pistol it does not apply to an openly carried pisitol.

So with a concealed license from any state, regardless of residency, a non-MI resident may openly carry their legally possessed pistol in most of the MI state level pistol/firearm free zones (courts/court offices, sterile areas of airports, Federal Reserve Bank in Detroit, and fed. buildings are still a no-go).

I think that's it. It's late, I'm going to bed :D

Bronson
Thanks, Bronson; I'm glad that a few of us get it! I hope you'll forgive me for highlighting some of your comments (highlighting shown in Bold Red) to emphasize where other people misinterpret Michigan law.

Conflation: (from Wikipedia)
Conflation occurs when the identities of two or more individuals, concepts, or places, sharing some characteristics of one another, become confused until there seems to be only a single identity — the differences appear to become lost.[1] In logic, the practice of treating two distinct concepts as if they were one does often produce error or misunderstanding, as a fusion of distinct subjects tends to obscure analysis of relationships which are emphasized by contrasts.
People get confused when they conflate MCL 28.432 and MCL 28.433; THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT STATUTES!

28.432 was written first and says you must have a CCW license from your state of residence to carry concealed in Michigan.

28.433 was passed later and says that as long as you have a CCW from ANY STATE, not necessarily your state of residence, that you can open carry in Michigan.

I don't know how we can make it any more clear, do you Bronson? :banghead:

Nutczak

MCL 28.432; known as The “Janet Kukuk Act", modifies MCL 28.422 to allow a person holding a CCW issued by a state different than Michigan to Open Carry in Michigan. It does NOT specify a RESIDENT CCW permit issued by another state to Open Carry in Michigan.

The way I am reading MI laws, is that if you are not a MI resident, you must have a license issued from your home state, if you are a MI resident, a license from another state is valid.

I would not chance it it in MI until clarification is published by the state of MI, it is just not worth getting tagged out of state IMO

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

You are correct. This was challenged and now anyone with a CPL license, registration, permit to possess firearms from any state can possess a firearm in Michigan. To conceal carry you need to have a license from your home state. But to possess or OC you can have a CPL from any state. So if a Wisconsin resident had a Florida CPL they could OC in Michigan.

Bronson

The way I am reading MI laws, is that if you are not a MI resident, you must have a license issued from your home state, if you are a MI resident, a license from another state is valid.

You are partially correct in that a non-MI resident must have a license from their home state but only for concealed carry or loaded vehicle carry. There is a MI Attorney General's opinion (I can't find it right now) that states it is not allowed for a MI resident to obtain a non-resident concealed license from another state in order to circumvent Michigan's licensing requirements. In effect, if you are a MI resident you need a MI concealed permit.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

But then we have 750.231a which provides exceptions to 750.227:

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

Again, that is ONLY for concealed carry. Michigan law separates concealed carry from general firearms possession i.e. open carry.

For general possession or open carry you only need some form of license to possess from your state of residence OR a concealed carry license from ANY state.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Notice in section 2(c) in red that there is no residency requirement attached.

The other way for a non-MI resident to possess (not conceal) a pistol in MI is to meet the exemptions from getting a MI License to Purchase/Possess as detailed in 28.422; section 8:

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

Remember this law is referring ONLY to a License to Purchase/Possess, it has nothing to do with a concealed pistol license.

MCL 28.432 also provides an exemption to the requirement of having a MI License to Purchase/Possess (28.422, excerpted above) to anyone possessing a concealed pistol license from any state.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 (this is 28.422, excerpted above) does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.
(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.
(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

Remember the exemptions listed in 28.432 above only apply to a License to Purchase/Possess, not a concealed pistol license.

Bronson

Last edited:

davegran

Warning, strong language, children look away....

I would not chance it it in MI until clarification is published by the state of MI, it is just not worth getting tagged out of state IMO
With all due respect, Nutczak, have one of your buddies up there give you a little slap to the back of the head. You are showing the exact same close-mindedness that the antis display when confronted by the facts. And that close-mindedness could prove fatal to someone.

We have cited to law, exhibited an in-service document from the Michigan State Patrol, shown you to be wrong, and yet you persist in holding out hope that somehow the facts are incorrect.

I just pray that somebody reading this thread doesn't follow your "opinion" and ends up unarmed in a life or death situation because they thought it was against the law for them to carry in Michigan.

Nutczak

And it goes the other way too, I feel it would be very stupid to not make absolutely positive you are legal to carry in another state and end up getting tagged for a weapons violation out of state.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Oh, and have a merry flippin Christmas too

Cobbersmom

With all due respect, Nutczak, have one of your buddies up there give you a little slap to the back of the head. You are showing the exact same close-mindedness that the antis display when confronted by the facts. And that close-mindedness could prove fatal to someone.
We have cited to law, exhibited an in-service document from the Michigan State Patrol, shown you to be wrong, and yet you persist in holding out hope that somehow the facts are incorrect.
I just pray that somebody reading this thread doesn't follow your "opinion" and ends up unarmed in a life or death situation because they thought it was against the law for them to carry in Michigan.

And in Wisconsin we can legally open carry (with some annoying restrictions) yet people have still been arrested. Why is that? Because some cops are either ignorant of the law or choose to ignore it. What fun to be arrested in another state, have your gun confiscated just because some cop made a mistake. How costly could that be! Legal or not, unless it's black and white, people from Wisconsin would be taking chances. Kind of like how screwed up our own gun laws are, contradicting each other. It could easily happen in Michigan too.

smithman

People, the law in this document is clear. A WI resident who has an out of state carry permit, may OPEN carry, but may not CONCEAL carry.

This is quite clear, and in plain language!! The next sentence adds additional information, for people who live in another state, yet own a firearm which is stored in MI:
Additionally, MCL 28.422 exempts residents of other states from Michigan’s pistol registration requirements therefore, allowing them to possess a pistol in Michigan, if all of the following requirements are met:
2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in MCL 750.231a, and
5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to establish residency here.

protias

People, the law in this document is clear. A WI resident who has an out of state carry permit, may OPEN carry, but may not CONCEAL carry.

This is quite clear, and in plain language!! The next sentence adds additional information, for people who live in another state, yet own a firearm which is stored in MI:
2. The person is in possession of the license while in Michigan,
3. The person owns the pistol possessed in Michigan,
4. The person possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as defined in MCL 750.231a, and
5. The person is in Michigan less than 180 days and does not intend to establish residency here.
I've often wondered about #1. Since WI does not have licenses, how does this affect us?