Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: My OC fail

  1. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,538
    So, MilProGuy, it is like this.


    If there was no statute making it illegal to conceal a firearm, NO STATUTE would be required to provide an exception for those who choose to get a permit.


    In Nevada, there is no statute making it illegal to open carry, So there is NO NEED for any statute making exceptions for it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  2. #27
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Sigh. You really seem to be not reading the posts we make.

    Respectfully, NO STATUTE needs to allow OC. Stating that the statute in question "does not allow" the carry of something," does NOT mean the same as "statute prohibits something."

    In other words, to attempt to restate it the same way once again:
    Unless OC is made illegal by separate statute, the statute in question does NOT prevent OC from being legal.
    So...it is perfectly legal for me to openly carry my PT92 on my hip, as long as I do not carry it inside a courthouse, public school, jail, etc., (i.e,. following the same restrictions on WHERE I can carry as are outlined in the concealed carry laws.)???

    Since it is perfectly legal to open carry a handgun in Mississippi, I can be assured that I will not be hassled by law enforcement officers as long as I behave myself and don't break any laws.

    I'm glad I found this forum because I did not know that Mississippi enjoyed the right to openly carry like the good folks in Arizona can.

  3. #28
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post

    It is not possible to state it any more clearly than that without becoming exceedingly rude.
    I don't understand how your becoming exceedingly rude could help me understand what you are trying to convey.

    If helping people learn about open carry in Mississippi is not what you folks are about, I can just fade away.

  4. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    So...it is perfectly legal for me to openly carry my PT92 on my hip, as long as I do not carry it inside a courthouse, public school, jail, etc., (i.e,. following the same restrictions on WHERE I can carry as are outlined in the concealed carry laws.)???
    IMHO, YES.

    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy
    Since it is perfectly legal to open carry a handgun in Mississippi, I can be assured that I will not be hassled by law enforcement officers as long as I behave myself and don't break any laws.
    NO. Stating that it is legal does NOT mean you will not get hassled or arrested. It just means that no statute makes OC illegal; thus, it is legal.

    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy

    I'm glad I found this forum because I did not know that Mississippi enjoyed the right to openly carry like the good folks in Arizona can.
    Mississippi isn't Arizona. It isn't just about statutes, it is also about the corporate attitudes of those who enforce the laws.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  5. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    I don't understand how your becoming exceedingly rude could help me understand what you are trying to convey.
    There simply doesn't seem to be a polite way to convey the meaning adequately to you, as that method still seems to leave a gap in your understanding.

    Do you understand that unless a statute makes something illegal, that something is legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy
    If helping people learn about open carry in Mississippi is not what you folks are about, I can just fade away.
    It is exactly what this part of OCDO is about. But, you have to be willing to accept the knowledge others provide for you to learn from it.


    Do you now understand that anything that has not been made illegal by statute is, by default, legal?


    Until prohibition, drinking alcohol was legal, because no law made it illegal. Once prohibition was enacted, drinking alcohol was illegal. For ANY consumption of alcohol to be thus legal, a statute allowing it would need to create an exception.

    So, IF Mississippi created a state statute that stated:

    97-99-10000 "The consumption of alcohol is illegal"

    Then the consumption of alcohol was prohibited by specific statute. Now, lets say the population contacted their representatives, and wanted a permit-based system to allow the consumption of alcohol in their own homes. And, this passed and added an exception to allow the consumption of alcohol if someone was willing to go get the permit and consume alcohol in the privacy of their own homes accoring to law.

    So, Mississippi would pass a statute that states:

    45-9-9919 "A permit may be acquired by a citizen of Mississippi which allows the consumption of alcohol in their own homes, as an exception to 97-99-10000. The permit system will require a test, and submission to licence checks if a citizen is on their property and is obviously intoxicated."
    "nothing in this statute allows the consumption of non-alcoholic beverages."


    Now, unless there is another statute prohibiting the consumption of non-alcoholic beverages, that line does NOT prohibit such consumption by itself.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-09-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  6. #31
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,216
    My thanks to all on this thread who have responded to my posts and have attempted to help me with my questions.

    I suppose I have enough information now to make an educated decision as to whether or not I will open carry a handgun in our fine state.

  7. #32
    Regular Member bigun220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Soso, MS
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    My thanks to all on this thread who have responded to my posts and have attempted to help me with my questions.

    I suppose I have enough information now to make an educated decision as to whether or not I will open carry a handgun in our fine state.
    When you exercise your rights, you always risk being hassled by LEOs. Anytime, anywhere. I could carry one of those large maglite flashlights in public and while there is no law prohibiting it, I guarantee you there will be an officer, who is ignorant of the laws, that will hassle me about it. I've been hassled by LEOs before and even threatened with a felony arrest. Just act professional and things will usually go smoothly. Good Luck with open carrying.

  8. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    creston
    Posts
    23

    hhmmmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kloutier View Post
    Ouch, Could be worse. My car has been known to remove my mag some times. So I will walk into a store with an empty gun >_<
    How is a gun emppty? Do you not carry a chambered round?

  9. #34
    Super Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    28,520
    Quote Originally Posted by opencarryjoel View Post
    How is a gun emppty? Do you not carry a chambered round?
    It was a joking way of saying he forgot to rearm before entering the store.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

    Yata hey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •