• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My OC fail

Eeyore

Coming home from Memphis the other night I stopped in Tupelo for dinner at Cracker Barrel. I had been carrying my "winter rig" (M&P9 in a SERPA) all day in Memphis, but had put the weapon between the seat and console during the long drive. I was seated right away, and assessed the area--I sat facing the entrance and noticed several tables around me and behind me had families with young kids. As I slipped my jacket off, I was bracing for the possibility of somebody's little darling yelling "Hey, Dad, that guy's got a GUN!" Nothing; so far, so good. I leaned back into the hard wooden chair carefully so as not to jab the grip into my kidney, but it didn't happen. That's when I realized I was OCing....an empty SERPA. I hadn't put the gun back into my holster, so it was still in the car.

D'oh.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Eeyore - trust that you made a quick trip out to your vehicle and back, correcting said problem.

M

McX

best one i can muster;

was carrying my hipoint .40 on the shoulder, under a coat, in the shop one day. in walks a gold chain encrusted gang member. i'm standing there talking to him, and i must have squeezed the gun against me a bit, before i figured out to file down the mag. release. well, the mag drops out from under my jacket, clanks to the floor, and ends up right at mr. gangman's feet. he didnt even blink as i appologised, opened my coat, and crammed the mag back in the gun, and went on with my conversation with him................oooopppps!

Eeyore

Eeyore - trust that you made a quick trip out to your vehicle and back, correcting said problem.

I considered it, but I decided that, having already removed my coat and sat down, that it woulod look suspicious/provocative to put my coat back on, walk out, then return and suddenly be visibly armed.

Not surprisingly, I survived the 30 minute separation. ;-)

Dwalker1926

OC'd in Hattiesburg

I went with my wife to a specialty pizza place in Hattiesburg, MS last night and carried my Glock 27 with a Blackhawk IWB holster. These holsters only conceal about from the trigger guard down so my weapon was visible when I took my coat off. As I stood up to leave, the guy in the booth next to me saw my weapon on my side. I was looking at him looking at my Glock. He looked up and saw me looking at him. I just nodded a winked at him as I put my coat back on. He nodded back with what seemed to me as a "good job" look. He was sitting there with his family and I don't belive he was in the least bit alarmed by my OC of my weapon. I do have a concealed carry permit which according to Mississippi law as I understand it, I do need to OC in public places.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I went with my wife to a specialty pizza place in Hattiesburg, MS last night and carried my Glock 27 with a Blackhawk IWB holster. These holsters only conceal about from the trigger guard down so my weapon was visible when I took my coat off. As I stood up to leave, the guy in the booth next to me saw my weapon on my side. I was looking at him looking at my Glock. He looked up and saw me looking at him. I just nodded a winked at him as I put my coat back on. He nodded back with what seemed to me as a "good job" look. He was sitting there with his family and I don't belive he was in the least bit alarmed by my OC of my weapon. I do have a concealed carry permit which according to Mississippi law as I understand it, I do need to OC in public places.

Mississippi is an open carry state and the state constitution appears to guarantee this right. Further, localities are generally preempted under state law from enacting local gun control ordinances that might restrict open carry. However, Miss. Code �� 97-37-1 & � 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver
http://www.opencarry.org/ms.html

4angrybadgers

Welcome, Dwalker! Which pizza place did you go to? Are you a Hattiesburg resident, or just passing through? I've lived in Hattiesburg for several years. If you're a resident or frequent visitor here, we should try to meet sometime.

Daylen

When I've OCed in Hburg, there has not been any reaction. Even went through the mall on the weekend before Christmas and there was no reaction.

Para1911

best one i can muster;

was carrying my hipoint .40 on the shoulder, under a coat, in the shop one day. in walks a gold chain encrusted gang member. i'm standing there talking to him, and i must have squeezed the gun against me a bit, before i figured out to file down the mag. release. well, the mag drops out from under my jacket, clanks to the floor, and ends up right at mr. gangman's feet. he didnt even blink as i appologised, opened my coat, and crammed the mag back in the gun, and went on with my conversation with him................oooopppps!

LOL. Are you saying that I sould carry and extra mag when I come visit you in case you cant find yours?:D

MilProGuy

Mississippi is an open carry state and the state constitution appears to guarantee this right. Further, localities are generally preempted under state law from enacting local gun control ordinances that might restrict open carry. However, Miss. Code �� 97-37-1 & � 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver
http://www.opencarry.org/ms.html

Opencarry.org says one thing, but the Mississippi Code says something else about this matter:

From the MS Code 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver. Paragraph 18.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

georg jetson

Opencarry.org says one thing, but the Mississippi Code says something else about this matter:

From the MS Code 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver. Paragraph 18.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

What the hell is wrong with you man!!?? You've been here a few days and now you're an expert on Ms. firearms law. It's obvious you have no clue about the relationship between a state constitution and its SUBORDINATE statutes.

MilProGuy

What the hell is wrong with you man!!?? You've been here a few days and now you're an expert on Ms. firearms law. It's obvious you have no clue about the relationship between a state constitution and its SUBORDINATE statutes.

Well, it's nice to meet you, too.

I came to this forum in hopes of getting some concrete evidence that it is, in fact, legal to openly carry a handgun in the State of Mississippi.

No, I'm no expert, but I can read.

The Mississippi Code clearly state that there is no provision for an openly-carried handgun.

carry for myself

i had an embarassing issue at work a few weeks back. i was going to OC at work, as i usually do. but decided to CC. i had not yet bought a CC holster for my sig so i said "ehh whatever" and waistbanded her. well i was in the shop. talking to our maintnence guy, and the boss. i leaned over to get a paintbrush and low and behold. my sig comes loose from the waistband. slides into my pants, down my leg, skips off my boot and slides across the entire shop right between my bosses feet.

he just looked at the gun, looked at me, looked at the gun and said "i believe you've misplaced something" haha

bigun220

i had an embarassing issue at work a few weeks back. i was going to OC at work, as i usually do. but decided to CC. i had not yet bought a CC holster for my sig so i said "ehh whatever" and waistbanded her. well i was in the shop. talking to our maintnence guy, and the boss. i leaned over to get a paintbrush and low and behold. my sig comes loose from the waistband. slides into my pants, down my leg, skips off my boot and slides across the entire shop right between my bosses feet.

he just looked at the gun, looked at me, looked at the gun and said "i believe you've misplaced something" haha

Now that's funny! I would turn red as a cherry if my gun fell out of its holster while in public. :shocker:

wrightme

Well, it's nice to meet you, too.

I came to this forum in hopes of getting some concrete evidence that it is, in fact, legal to openly carry a handgun in the State of Mississippi.

No, I'm no expert, but I can read.

The Mississippi Code clearly state that there is no provision for an openly-carried handgun.

The statute you cite does not prohibit open carry. Unless there IS a statute prohibiting open carry, it is legal.

While you can read, you seem to not understand the wording of this section of the statute.
"NOTHING IN THIS SECTION" means that this statute does not "allow the....." It also does not DENY it. It simply is worded such that IF another statute does contraindicate open carry, that this section will not hold the weight of "allow open carry."

The Mississippi code does not need to have ANY 'provision' for open carry, as long as there is no Mississippi code that makes open carry illegal.

Last edited:

georg jetson

The statute you cite does not prohibit open carry. Unless there IS a statute prohibiting open carry, it is legal.

While you can read, you seem to not understand the wording of this section of the statute.
"NOTHING IN THIS SECTION" means that this statute does not "allow the....." It also does not DENY it. It simply is worded such that IF another statute does contraindicate open carry, that this section will not hold the weight of "allow open carry."

The Mississippi code does not need to have ANY 'provision' for open carry, as long as there is no Mississippi code that makes open carry illegal.

Indeed, the Ms. Constitution FORBIDS the legislature from regulating the "bearing" of arms OPENLY.

MKEgal

It seems MilProGuy has made the same mistake common to many misinformed subjects.
Laws do not allow, they prohibit.

As an example, the new cc law in WI still prohibits cc, but creates exemptions for certain people &/or places (one of which is having a permit).

We also have OC, for which there is no law saying it's OK (unless you want to count the WI Constitution which protects the right to carry).

MilProGuy

It seems MilProGuy has made the same mistake common to many misinformed subjects.
Laws do not allow, they prohibit.

Very well, then using this logic, there would be no need for having the statute, law, or code in Mississippi which allows Concealed Carry of a handgun.

You say: "laws do not allow...", but, respectfully, I submit to you that is exactly what the concealed carry law does for the citizens of Mississippi. It allows us to carry a concealed handgun.

If we need a law in order to conceal carry a handgun, why wouldn't we need a law to openly carry one? After all, the end result is "virtually" the same: an individual ends up carrying a handgun for self defense purposes.