• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is INOVA Fairfax Hospital subject to VA preemption?

cptstoney

Snapped a pic of this sign on the front door of the INOVA Fairfax Hospital (Women's Center)

women's center = baby stuff and............ wait for it............. domestic violence.

they dont wont battered women worrying about their armed boyfriends/husbands/baby's daddies walking in and shooting them.

you also have to take into consideration that hospitals take care of drugged out, mentally unstable, and down right looney people(the northern virginia mental health ward is right out back behind the new heart wing). the last thing you need is to have one of them getting their hands on a gun in the middle of a crowded ER. and if any of you have been in the FFX ER you'll know exactly how crowded it gets. they once forgot about me for 4 hours.... thank god it was just a stab wound.....

FFX hospital is my hospital of choice(even thou they forgot about me, which i didnt mind cause the nurses are HOT!) i was born there and used to live right down the road off prosperity. they have stiched, stapled, glued and bandaged me and my brother back together many a time. i have never felt like i was at risk of being shot or even attacked with a bed pan in the 29 years i have been going there.

and before anyone jumps on me yes i know there have been hospital shooting, like the one in LA where dude walked in and shot 3 doctors. but if you look at the majority of the shootings they were targeted attacks and happened in the parking lot. not inside, not in a patients room, not in the middle of the ER, outside in a parking lot were you are allowed to carry your gun. so put down the pitchforks and slowly step away from the keyboard and take slow deep breaths. it will be ok, your gun will be safe in your car while you check on your sick child/wife/grandparents/babies momma ext.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
women's center = baby stuff and............ wait for it............. domestic violence.

they dont wont battered women worrying about their armed boyfriends/husbands/baby's daddies walking in and shooting them.

you also have to take into consideration that hospitals take care of drugged out, mentally unstable, and down right looney people(the northern virginia mental health ward is right out back behind the new heart wing). the last thing you need is to have one of them getting their hands on a gun in the middle of a crowded ER. and if any of you have been in the FFX ER you'll know exactly how crowded it gets. they once forgot about me for 4 hours.... thank god it was just a stab wound.....

FFX hospital is my hospital of choice(even thou they forgot about me, which i didnt mind cause the nurses are HOT!) i was born there and used to live right down the road off prosperity. they have stiched, stapled, glued and bandaged me and my brother back together many a time. i have never felt like i was at risk of being shot or even attacked with a bed pan in the 29 years i have been going there.

and before anyone jumps on me yes i know there have been hospital shooting, like the one in LA where dude walked in and shot 3 doctors. but if you look at the majority of the shootings they were targeted attacks and happened in the parking lot. not inside, not in a patients room, not in the middle of the ER, outside in a parking lot were you are allowed to carry your gun. so put down the pitchforks and slowly step away from the keyboard and take slow deep breaths. it will be ok, your gun will be safe in your car while you check on your sick child/wife/grandparents/babies momma ext.

Boy....another 20 seconds of my life wasted reading dribble!

grylnsmn

I spent a lot of time at Fairfax Hospital last week, for the birth of my daughter.

Actually, that's not true that you can carry in the parking lot. At INOVA Fairfax, they have even posted the parking garages, which means that technically you aren't allowed to even leave it in the car. Their signs specifically say that no carry is allowed on the premises (as opposed to just in the building). Since OCDO rules prohibit advocating any illegal activity, and there is no parking lot law that covers private entities (the new one only applies to government entities), we can't advocate that someone leave their gun in their car.

Additionally, what about someone who uses their new valet service? When my wife went into labor, we were lucky to be coming from home (and I knew in advance about the garage being posted), so I was able to plan ahead. We opted not to use the valet service (even though it was offered for free). If I we had been out and I was armed, should I have secured my gun in my car and then just handed the key to the valet? Or should I have had to run home, lock up my gun, and then go to the hospital? Or should I make my wife walk from the garage into the hospital? (In the end, they allowed me to drop her off at the door, go inside, and then return to park my car.)

The way the law is currently structured, with the signs they have posted (and the locations they have posted them), my option was basically to forgo any form of carry once we reached the "any day now" point in her pregnancy, unless I knew I'd be able to go home before taking her to the hospital.