• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something to be aware of before your next firearm purchase

datank55

Hello to my fellow Connecticut folks. Like many 20 somethings, I move somewhat frequently from apartment to apartment. Therefore, my drivers license does not match my pistol permit address. (Drivers license address from my 2008 apartment, pistol permit address from my 2009 apartment, now living in a different one). Of course, the day I moved to my current location, I called DPS and they instructed me to record my new address on a sticker on the back of my permit, and they confirmed to me that they had my current address on file, so all was well. Today, I was planning on treating myself to my Xmas present, a Ruger SR9 with the olive drab frame. Gorgeous. However, Cabela's in East Hartford would not make the sale as my addresses on my license and permit did not match. I purchased a pistol in March of this year, and a rifle in June (its been a good year) and this was not an issue in either case, both at smaller shops. The good news is, I was able to run down to the East Hartford PD where they gave me a change of address sticker for my license, and a form to fill out and mail. The guy at Cabela's was able to make the sale when I returned with the handwritten sticker on my license, something about a good faith effort to have matching addresses, and I did not have to wait for the mail in form to go through. From what I could gather, this is a new state law that has started being enforced sometime after late June, when I bought my rifle. If this is old news, my apologies, but I thought I might be able to save some folks a trip and some frustration. Carry on.

dcmdon

Moral of the story.

Moral of the story: Drive 15 minutes to Newington Gun Exchange and deal with gun guys who know the law.

afcarry

I love being from Colorado. My first gun I ever bought, the background check cleared in 20 minutes (amazing) and I was good to go. The whole process took thirty minutes.

AGust82

Moral of the story: Drive 15 minutes to Newington Gun Exchange and deal with gun guys who know the law.

I agree. Your first mistake was buying a gun from Cabela's. Would a car dealer not sell a car because of this same problem on a driver's license? Ridiculous. I bought a Mosin Nagant there a few months ago. It was shocking to me how long it took and how many times they told me something was "state law", but was complete BS. Never again.

datank55

I always like to support the smaller shops, but I called around as many places as I could find and no one had my model in stock. Only at that point, did I make the "mistake" of buying from Cabela's. I had a sneaking suspicion the new "law" was fictitious as Hoffman's and Riverside in East Windsor never mentioned my mismatched addresses.

Johnny W

Not usual

Last time I had that problem, the guy at the counter at the gun store gave me a label to fill out. I think most gun stores are aware of this law. This was around or after June this year. Probably after.

I called in my address change, as was required, and didn't fill out any forms to do so, but that was before June.

AGust82

I always like to support the smaller shops, but I called around as many places as I could find and no one had my model in stock. Only at that point, did I make the "mistake" of buying from Cabela's. I had a sneaking suspicion the new "law" was fictitious as Hoffman's and Riverside in East Windsor never mentioned my mismatched addresses.

I understand the "in stock" appeal. And I've bitten many times. But, the little guys can order you anything you want, and always at a lower price than Cabela's. My dealer I like to use even told me that "Cabela's exclusive" packages are BS. Just an advertising ploy. Any dealer can get anything.

How is Riverside, by the way? I've never been up there. I here it's a good store.

KIX

Given the insane prices at Cabelas, I just don't buy firearms from them. I've seen USED firearms for the same price as new at many of the SMALLER stores!

I can vouch for Newington Gun Exchange. I've bought a few guns from them the past few months and they have been GREAT. Great service as well.

Jonathan

datank55

Riverside is a nice shop. Decent sized, I felt their pistol selection was somewhat limited, but if you want to get yourself into a used AR for a good price this is the place to go. Ammo selection is poor, they tend to mostly just stock FMJ's and limited defensive stuff in my observations.