• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would You Submit?? (Is that the proper question?)

William Fisher

I know laws differ from state to state but what about hunting and fishing licenses? We get asked for those many times even though there is no reason for a LEA to assume you are involved with a crime. What about permits to gather in peaceful protest where required or something such as needing a permit to pass out food and drink to the homeless in a park? People engaged in those types of activities are rountinely asked or demanded to show their permit to do so? I wonder if LE needs RS to demand any of that paperwork from you and if not, why exactly they differ from stopping someone driving a car just to check for a valid permit or stopping someone whose armed and to check them for a permit where required?

WHERE (or WHEN) required is key. Driving a car is an activity that requires a Drivers Liscence, fishing requires a Fishing Liscene, CCing requirers a CC permit but OCing only requirers Name, Rank and Serial Number so to speak. If involved in an activity that requirers Liscence or Permit one must show it and then show you are that person.
Absent those things and you are not doing anything ilegal you need not show identification.

eye95

I'd be spending what little money I have on a lawyer. may not win, but the point would be made that "you will be challenged in front of a judge to justify your actions". the word would get out on you and harassing stops will dwindle if not cease all together. i did this in my town. When LEOs roll up on a MWG call and see ME, they stop and let me know why and go about their business. I actually have made far more friends as LEOs since I started spending my money.

Glad it worked out without a lawyer. To each their own.

I would much rather NOT sue. It is best if we correct problems quickly to the benefit of all rather than dragging out the matter in court. Now, if the police WON'T learn, as in Birmingham, then they should be sued--and I am sure that they will be.

In Montgomery, they now recognize that OC is lawful. Training and getting all of their officers on board with the policy takes time. However, that my second stop was far less egregious than my first shows that progress is being made. Others have also reported that MPD are leaving them alone.

At the moment, I am satisfied. No need to sue.

sudden valley gunner

Since we can't write tickets and take the cops to court, suing is our only recourse.

I believe that we should sue/file complaint do what ever we can every time a police officer violates your rights. 2A rights become secondary to 4th and 5th in most these cases.

eye95

He's a cop. Submit and work it out later or not. Don't submit and expect an azz whupin.

I disagree. Do not consent. Make the lack of consent crystal clear. Then, do not resist. That is not the same as submission. If you submit, it will be considered consent by the courts. There will be nothing to sort out later. If you consent, no search or seizure will be a violation of your rights. For a search or seizure to be a violation, you MUST refuse to consent.

eye95

Do you actually believe that LE will always get what is coming to them when a LEO breaks the law? Or do you hope that LE will get what's coming to them when a LEO breaks the law?

Not always. Not all criminals are caught and punished. Dang.

I can guarantee you that, if you "submit," then the officer has done nothing wrong, and he WILL get what's coming to him: nothing at all!

Not always getting the perfect outcome is a stupid reason not to take the course of action that will most likely provide the best outcome. And, it has provided spectacular outcomes for me--twice.

eye95

I wish you would argue with what I actually say.

I am not talking about criminals as a general term but LEOs (uncommon criminals) that break the law in the course of performing their official duties. I know what you are talking about. I was pointing out that not everyone who breaks a rule or a law suffers the consequences. Get over it. There may be no difference to you I didn't say there was or there wasn't. I was drawing a parallel. Parallels help some understand. but there is a distinction based on past case law/internal investigations. A criminal may or may not walk based on a good or bad lawyer or incompetent/unethical LE officials. It is more likely that administrative duty will be the worst your average LEO will get for breaking the laws we are talking about.

I have "refused to consent" and "did not resist" twice in one week. Wonderful. My point is to do that and not "submit" which will be interpreted by the courts as consent. It took filing criminal charges the second occurrence to get a change in behavior by my local LE agency. I fully expect to have a third at some point in the future especially if criminal charges are not pursued by the local prosecuting attorney, to set the precedent. The charges I filed were essentially ignored but I did get a call from the Chief of Police that he will address a "recently discovered training deficiency" in his department. The change in LE behavior only means that past criminal behavior/action was ignored. The LEOs skated.

Make no leaps of logic. I made none. As far as I could tell I was the only OCer in my town. Not prohibited in my town if you have a CCW endorsement. Local LE did not know the law they were charged to enforce, they had no desire to learn the law until I filed a criminal complaint against the second LEO. Just cuz I got stopped for a second time in one week, I was PO'd. The first encounter, water on a ducks back, the LEO was cool about the whole thing and even took my copy of the applicable city codes as true and accurate. The only thing I gave the LEO was a 3x5 card with the city code on it. Must have kept the secret to himself.

I may be stupid Nowhere did I say or imply that any PERSON was stupid. Try rereading what I posted without making a logical leap. if I look for a perfect outcome as in charging and prosecuting criminals and let a judge and jury work it out. The odds of any particular LEO getting prosecuted for breaking the law, let alone even being charge by his prosecutor, is statistically small. In the instances you mention were there any criminal charges filed against the LEOs? If their conduct was proven to be illegal were they prosecuted and punished IAW with current law? Or did you accept a change in behavior by LE as the best possible outcome because it would be stupid to expect a closer to perfect outcome? Like charging and then prosecuting a criminal.

It is easy to cite anecdotal evidence as proof of future occurrences. The point is that I know of zero anecdotal evidence of a LEO destroying a recording (much the same as I know of no anecdotal evidence of a gun grab from an OCer. Yet I do know of enough instances of LEOs being recorded without them destroying the recording and enough instances of OCers not having their guns grabbed to conclude that, at worst, such events would be isolated instances. Existing case law/IA investigation reports tend to be more indicative of future occurrences. Those being that LEOs who break the law will skate.

I am not looking for a perfect outcome, but I will not concede the point that "do not consent" and "do not resist" will work in your favor even 50% of the time. It worked 100% of the time in your case and it even worked 100% of the time in my two encounters. But our four cases are the exception and not the rule. Based upon all the instances I know of, recordings not being erased is the rule and not the exception. As a matter of fact, I know of zero exceptions, just as I know of zero exceptions to folks not having the OC gun grabbed.

Moving on.