Thread: Question about Hiking while CC/OC

Question about Hiking while CC/OC

While hiking and camping are not specifically in the list of "legitimate weapon-related sports activity" mentioned in 97-37-1, would they be considered weapon-related sports activities? Fishing doesn't seem like it would be, but it's in the list, whereas it seems completely natural to carry a gun while hiking. TIA.

I have no statutory or case law references to back this up, but my gut says "no". The key phrase is "...which normally involves the use of a firearm or other weapon." By definition, target shooting, etc. require the use of a firearm, whereas hiking doesn't intrinsically require such. (In other words, target shooting without a firearm is rather pointless, but hiking without a firearm is physically possible.) But take that with a grain of salt, as it's just my opinion.
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 12-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks for your opinion. The fishing exception is what throws me off, as I don't know anybody who carries while fishing, other than those who carry everywhere anyway. It's definitely physically possible to fish without a firearm, yet it's in the exceptions.

While fishing from a boat one might be covered by the same law that protects carry while in a vehicle.

Fishing is specifically mentioned.

Hiking would be "subjective" in that you COULD say you were carrying to protect against snakes.

Of course if you got a CWP, then it would be all good.