Thread: 85 Year old Florida police officer beats up a mugger

85 Year old Florida police officer beats up a mugger

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/2...#ixzz18sKvdY00

Leo Thalassites left a guy who jumped him off duty with a fractured skull and broken ribs. Leo is 85.

There are some here that would believe this to be excessive force and a violation of the victim's/mugger's second amendment rights.

My only question is why wasn't Officer Thalassites carrying?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider116 View Post
    There are some here that would believe this to be excessive force and a violation of the victim's/mugger's second amendment rights.
    I see it as a mugger demanding a "NON-consensual" encounter and the COP disagreed with absolute controlled application of force. He was justified in USING MUCH MORE FORCE THAN HE DID USE--- Mugger with gun deserved to DIE!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-23-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    Heh, heh, heh.

The praying was a nice touch.

So, was the catch-and-release. Well, maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Heh, heh, heh.

The praying was a nice touch.

So, was the catch-and-release. Well, maybe not so much.
    The hospital bills would definitely be higher than any fine imposed.

and HEY CITIZEN!

That man is Stout. He was someone you did NOT want to get his hands on you when he was in his prime.

He reminds me of my Paternal grandfather. I was told that when he was in his 30's he could cold bend a draft muleshoe (very heavy) straight with his bare hands. What I observed him doing in his 70's lead me to believe that it WASN'T a tall tale.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    My only question is why wasn't Officer Thalassites carrying?
    With the damage he did with his bare hands, why would he need to carry? There are some men (and women) in this world that you just do not want to mess with. This officer just happens to be one of them.

could be that at 85 yrs old, he may be self aware enough to know that carrying a weapon MIGHT not be a good idea.

lad to hear a potential victim came out on top.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    My bet is that he had a gun, but decided to take the BG's instead.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I've known a few retired Texas cops in their 80s, former troopers or deputies, who were like this guy. The kind of men who would soon have you praying they'd shoot you instead of hitting you again.

Leo Thalassites born April 26 1926. Began studying Greco-Roman Wrestling under his father Rev. George Thalassites, a Greek Orthodox priest. In 1964 he tried out for the Olympics, becoming a member of the U.S Greco-Roman wrestling team.

He also became a member of the US Marines receiving numerous commendations and awards including 2 purple hearts from WWII and one purple heart from the Korean War. In the service he began his martial arts training and self defense. Later becoming a lead instructor for the United States Karate Association. He has been inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall Of Fame and the AHEPA Hellenic Athletic Hall Of Fame.

In 1956 he joined the Dade Metro Police Dept. in Florida. Leo is also known as the conditioning coach of Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Hector Camacho, Joel Casamayor and many other boxers. At the age of 80 Leo is still very active in Church, boxing, martial arts, the police and military as well as an active instructor for the police academy.

This gentleman is an amazing individual. There are just some people that you don't mess with, and if you are a bad guy, you definitely want to steer clear of guys like him.

Since this guy is also a Marine, I imagine he was armed with a 1911 and a KA-BAR.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A trained and skilled action beats a reaction. Wrong choice of victim, wrong tactics (too close), great lesson.

Leo had the upper hand from the moment the BG made physical contact - the 1st person to move wins rule worked perfectly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.