• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

85 Year old Florida police officer beats up a mugger

palerider116

There are some here that would believe this to be excessive force and a violation of the victim's/mugger's second amendment rights.

JoeSparky

Centurion
There are some here that would believe this to be excessive force and a violation of the victim's/mugger's second amendment rights.
I see it as a mugger demanding a "NON-consensual" encounter and the COP disagreed with absolute controlled application of force. He was justified in USING MUCH MORE FORCE THAN HE DID USE--- Mugger with gun deserved to DIE!

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

That man is Stout. He was someone you did NOT want to get his hands on you when he was in his prime.

He reminds me of my Paternal grandfather. I was told that when he was in his 30's he could cold bend a draft muleshoe (very heavy) straight with his bare hands. What I observed him doing in his 70's lead me to believe that it WASN'T a tall tale.

jrob33

could be that at 85 yrs old, he may be self aware enough to know that carrying a weapon MIGHT not be a good idea.

lad to hear a potential victim came out on top.

KBCraig

I've known a few retired Texas cops in their 80s, former troopers or deputies, who were like this guy. The kind of men who would soon have you praying they'd shoot you instead of hitting you again.

Aaron1124

Leo Thalassites born April 26 1926. Began studying Greco-Roman Wrestling under his father Rev. George Thalassites, a Greek Orthodox priest. In 1964 he tried out for the Olympics, becoming a member of the U.S Greco-Roman wrestling team.

He also became a member of the US Marines receiving numerous commendations and awards including 2 purple hearts from WWII and one purple heart from the Korean War. In the service he began his martial arts training and self defense. Later becoming a lead instructor for the United States Karate Association. He has been inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall Of Fame and the AHEPA Hellenic Athletic Hall Of Fame.

In 1956 he joined the Dade Metro Police Dept. in Florida. Leo is also known as the conditioning coach of Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Hector Camacho, Joel Casamayor and many other boxers. At the age of 80 Leo is still very active in Church, boxing, martial arts, the police and military as well as an active instructor for the police academy.

palerider116

This gentleman is an amazing individual. There are just some people that you don't mess with, and if you are a bad guy, you definitely want to steer clear of guys like him.

Since this guy is also a Marine, I imagine he was armed with a 1911 and a KA-BAR. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A trained and skilled action beats a reaction. Wrong choice of victim, wrong tactics (too close), great lesson.

Leo had the upper hand from the moment the BG made physical contact - the 1st person to move wins rule worked perfectly.