• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Handgun Reg. Loophole?

Robin47

No I am talking about the OP wanting to not get a blue card. While we may all agree that it might not be needed the klark county cops may disagree with her. And will try to charge her. Do I know that for a fact? Nope, just based on the history of this department.

I think the wording of that "Code" "Over 12" " is a enough, to keep her safe.
However if your Klark County Metro is of the mind to "Bust" lawful carry they would do it anyway,
just to razzz and Infringe on our rights.

We need all the OC people we can get, Modern guns BP shooters ECT.
We also need to stand together, and help in this freedom fight for our Liberty !

PS ! Marry Christmas ! Robin47

p.publius

BPowder

Exactly. The definition by statute is the applicable portion, not whether "someone CAN conceal something."

Personally I would not rather have the black powder, but that is mostly a matter of my personal preference, and my inexperience with black powder.

A black powder revolver beats a rock, sharp stick, a knife or a kick in the tail with a frozen boot when it comes to a self defense situation. :cuss: Yes, a 1911 or a 19 round Glock would be better but I would rather not be looking down the barrel of any of them.

rickc1962

You have a lot to learn. How fas can you draw and fire that single action? How fast can you reload if needed? Why would you need to reload isnt 5 or 6 hots enough? Maybe if you dont have a chain fire.
A BP as a carry pistol for anyone who has no clue about firearms is just asking for issues.
Tell you what my very kind and lovely wife would be happy to take you to the range. Let you try some of her modern firearms and learn something.

I have BP myself I like it. As a carry gun when there are better choices for the same money? No way.

I can unload my 45LC Ruger Vaquero from the hip hitting a 9 inch paper plate at chest level at 30 feet 6 out of 6 times in 2.6 sec. 7 out of 10 times, its` been timed. If a 45 round does not stop the one to six bad guys, it will at least slow them down enough for me to spend the next six sec. to reload, if there happens to be more then six of them, then I guess I kill the one that looks to be in charge and hope the rest of them flee like the cowards that most bad guys are.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
(By the way, I'm a her, not him.) ;) No, I know very little about firearms, but know enough to know what I want and need, and now have it. I'm just a lady intent on exercising my 2nd amendment rights in a safe and legally compliant manner, especially when I be compelled to visit the city.
Thanks.

How old a her, and how large? If you are, for instance, a small Asian grandmother, you have special considerations for what pistol to carry and how to use it, compared to, say, a member of the college lady wrestling team.

rickc1962

I just acquired my first owned firearm: a black powder Remington 1858 New Model Army reproduction with a modified 12 inch barrel. I'm not squeemish about black powder and will be only too happy to open carry this, my weapon of choice for various reasons. (When I can make/find a holster long enough, that is!)

Having the misfortune of my town being inside of Clark County, I was concerned about the handgun registration. However, I may have found a loophole in this for those of us with large handguns. NRS 244.364 amends the Clark ordinance to define:

The county ordinance in question, 12.04.110, refers to "pistols", which are thus defined as concealable, I.E. of barrels shorter than 12 inches. Thus, my handgun is exempt from the need to register, as it is not "concealable" and hence is not a "pistol". It is thus a handgun but not one requiring CC registation.

This is my working reasoning and I'd appreciate any more experienced feedback. My weapon is right on 12 inches to the barrel, perhaps a bit more but not much. Would a clearly ammended copy of the relevant statutes be enough to vouchsafe my carry into the city? Are there any other relevant laws I've not anticipated here in relation to the ordinance?

Thanks!

I just thought I would let you know that you can get whats called a Buntline Special which has a 12 inch barrel and chamberd in 45 LC, its` made by Colt and you can find them on the web used for 800.00 to 2,000.00, that way you would have your 12 inch barrel plus a modern round!

DVC

You or I may be good at swapping cylinders but is she?

I'm very good at it -- but that was something that I learned, it wasn't a genetic inheritance from my father.

She will learn, rapidly, if she has sufficient interest.

What if the cap falls off?

Then she gets a click instead of a bang.

chain fire although rare happens. What then?

Then she gets a boom instead of a bang.

I've been shooting since before my 8th birthday, making my career some 45 years. I've taught hundreds of people to shoot. I've qualified on every one of the small arms issued to American troops since the Spanish-American War, and instructed several of them.

In addition, I have owned maybe 100 firearms, and shot an even wider assortment.

I have yet to find a firearm which is failure-proof. I have yet to find The One Perfect Gun.

I want to hear her answers.

You've become a little too much of an inquisitor on this thread.

As far as trying to dodge the laws. Go ahead hope you have the cash time and lawyer to do it, because if they dont shoot first she will get to at least see court.

Why do you think that? When something is specifically exempted from the law, it's SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTED FROM THE LAW. Are cops down there in the Sharp End too stupid to understand that?

Vegassteve

DVC;142823 Are cops down there in the Sharp End too stupid to understand that?[/QUOTE said:
Yes they are. And that is what I have been trying to get across. The LVMPD is not on our side down here. Tim has made some headway but they are still a shoot first ask later department.

Vegassteve

So, they will shoot if they find that she has an unregistered pistol that they think should be registered . . ?

They shot eric scott without ever seeing the gun. They shot tevin cole for chapstick that must have looked like a gun.

They dismantled Tims gun and placed it all over the sidewalk. The klark county cops are not to be trusted in any way.

And the phrase shoots first applies to trumping up charges and sticking you in hold while they figure it out.

DVC

They shot eric scott without ever seeing the gun. They shot tevin cole for chapstick that must have looked like a gun.

I doubt that the issue of registration was in their minds when they murdered Scott. The other guy must have been before I started paying attention, but he probably wasn't a registration-enforcement action either.

Vegassteve

I doubt that the issue of registration was in their minds when they murdered Scott. The other guy must have been before I started paying attention, but he probably wasn't a registration-enforcement action either.

You keep missing the point it has nothing to do with registration. It could be anything. The cops in this town could give 2 shits if you have the actual law in your hand written on the paper the governor signed it on. About any law.

The LVMPD have proven time and time again on many levels and laws they just dont care about our rights.

And that was what I was trying to get across to the OP. You want to skirt the law via what seems like a good loophole to us then do it. The cops on the other hand could not care. They will book her, she will lose time and work and need to pay to fight and hopefully win.

On the other hand she could get some practice time in on a modern gun made for self defense and not worry about if she has to use a loophole. As I said before my lovely wife would be happy to take her to a range and let her try out some modern guns and see how much better off she could be.

Sabotage70

They shot eric scott without ever seeing the gun.

When ordered to "DROP IT!!!!" He then pulled his whole rig from he's waistband. Not know he was trying to follow orders and disarm himself. They shot him twice in the chest and to make sure the threat was stopped. Then shot him 5 more times in the back while he was lying face down as a gargling sound can be heard coming from him as his lungs filled with blood.

DVC

You keep missing the point it has nothing to do with registration. It could be anything. The cops in this town could give 2 shits if you have the actual law in your hand written on the paper the governor signed it on. About any law.

The LVMPD have proven time and time again on many levels and laws they just dont care about our rights.

And that was what I was trying to get across to the OP. You want to skirt the law via what seems like a good loophole to us then do it. The cops on the other hand could not care. They will book her, she will lose time and work and need to pay to fight and hopefully win.

On the other hand she could get some practice time in on a modern gun made for self defense and not worry about if she has to use a loophole. As I said before my lovely wife would be happy to take her to a range and let her try out some modern guns and see how much better off she could be.

You're missing the point that the OP was noting that the law only covers shorter barrels.

Do the cops down there arrest people for not registering their pistols? If so, AND if her pistol is SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTED FROM THE LAW REQUIRING REGISTRATION, they would be buying themselves a lawsuit that they will lose (or, more likely, that would be settled out of court as soon as the City Attorney got a copy of the filing).

Until you can cite a case in which the cops there shot someone solely because their pistol was not registered, the OP's point is valid. Your out-of-control cops are a whole different issue.

rickc1962

Me and my wife lived in Vegas for 3 months a couple of years ago, we just finished prospecting for a year and had a pocket full of money so we went to Vegas, we stayed in a month to month apartment a block from the Stratosphere, not the best part of town, I seen LEOs violate meny peoples 4th amendment rights, I did tho carry my firearm on me at all times and never had a problem, I was asked one day if I lived in Vegas and I said no I was a snowbird, he was OK with that. I`m not saying thay are not out of contral, seen lots of problems, just saying I also think its` how you carry yourself.

Vegassteve

You're missing the point that the OP was noting that the law only covers shorter barrels.

Do the cops down there arrest people for not registering their pistols? If so, AND if her pistol is SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTED FROM THE LAW REQUIRING REGISTRATION, they would be buying themselves a lawsuit that they will lose (or, more likely, that would be settled out of court as soon as the City Attorney got a copy of the filing).

Until you can cite a case in which the cops there shot someone solely because their pistol was not registered, the OP's point is valid. Your out-of-control cops are a whole different issue.

Holy crap are you really that dense? I NEVER said anyone was shot for not registering a firearm. I never claimed they would be. I did however make the claim that our cops are so out of control here in klark that they will do about anything to put something over on us.

The cops in this town could give 2 shits about losing a lawsuit. And the city Attorney? The same one that still claims preemption does not apply to klark county, could as well care less about a lawsuit.

rickc1962

Come on Sab you and I both know that is only the one side of the story that the cops let us hear at the inquest. They refused to call the other 20-30 people who did not see it that way.

Vegassteve; I could be wrong but it sounds like you have a vendetta with metro. I know there are bad cops in Vegas, and maybe to many, but I don`t think that every LEO there wakes up in the morning and says "wonder who`s rights can I violate today". Like I said I carried there every day, and I know others carry and we don`t here of the problems you speak of, in the 3 months we lived there only once was I asked (not for a blue card) for ID which I showed them, thay asked me if I lived there and I told them I was a seasonal resident, he did run my ID then gave it back to me and said have a nice day. I would bet to say there are other stories just like this.

Vegassteve

Vegassteve; I could be wrong but it sounds like you have a vendetta with metro. I know there are bad cops in Vegas, and maybe to many, but I don`t think that every LEO there wakes up in the morning and says "wonder who`s rights can I violate today". Like I said I carried there every day, and I know others carry and we don`t here of the problems you speak of, in the 3 months we lived there only once was I asked (not for a blue card) for ID which I showed them, thay asked me if I lived there and I told them I was a seasonal resident, he did run my ID then gave it back to me and said have a nice day. I would bet to say there are other stories just like this.

No vendetta.And your story makes my point of metro being out of control. I fully supported Laurie Bisch for sheriff a very good metro officer who was behind us OC folks 100%.

As far as you getting checked with the blue card. You do understand they had no reason to do that and that your rights were violated?

Living here 3 months is not very long and to be asked once in that time to show your papers was one time to many.

Were you committing or about to commit a crime? Do you always show LEO your papers when you dont have to?

Nevada carrier

but I don`t think that every LEO there wakes up in the morning and says "wonder who`s rights can I violate today."

No but I'm sure that part of their training includes how to get their suspect to forfeit their rights without even knowing it.

LEO: If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind if I look in your car now would you?
Suspect: No...
LEO: Your honor, It sounded like he meant "no, I don't mind if you search my car."