Thread: What is it lately with guns going off from being dropped

What is it lately with guns going off from being dropped

I am not sure that I buy this completely but it makes one wonder if this gun had a transfer bar or was it an older one. A very tragic case and demonstrates the need for safety on everyones part when handling a gun.

Lovett had in his coveralls a .44 caliber revolver to carry to work as his daily routine. The gun was secured inside of a holster at that time. The gun then fell out of Lovett’s pocket and fell onto the wooden floor of the residence, causing the gun to fire through the holster striking Lamonds

http://www2.scnow.com/news/2010/dec/...al-ar-1254450/

One of two things, no transfer bar and all 6 chambers loaded, not a good idea or he was playing around with it and doesn't want to admit it. It's kind of like all "The gun went off when I was cleaning it officer." stories.

The incident in the article is a shame, and you're right, as it underscores the need to always treat a firearm as if it's loaded, will go off if you drop it or mishandle it.

Because you never know, as it just might, regardless of whatever safeties are built into your firearm.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

9 out of ten times what actually happens is the gun is dropped, the person flails around trying to catch it and depresses the trigger.

I remember a few years ago 4 troopers were sitting in the guard shack at the Gov of NJ's mansion and one of them dropped a glock 2 feet onto a wood floor off of a coffee table. The cops all said the gun went off when it hit the ground. ha. A glock would have had to have all 4 of its internal safeties fail at the same time for this to happen.

Don

Brunswick County woman shot in back,[killed]] ruled accidental

Kind of, uhm, ... coincidental, everything happening the way it did.

Lovett might be guilty of foul play. Not enough details to tell for sure.

But if not, then ole Thomas is definitely a goof with a gun.

I really wish they would report the details of the gun (make/model) in shootings like this. Would help a lot.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    I really wish they would report the details of the gun (make/model) in shootings like this. Would help a lot.
    But aren't all guns so dangerous that they can go off on their own? And what do you mean make/model? It was either a Glock or an AK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001-2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	4879  

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    And what do you mean make/model? It was either a Glock or an AK.
    LOL....ain't it the truth...

Just like:

"Officer, the gun went off....uh, it ....er....FELL DOWN...and WENT OFF... and the bullet...you know, the round....it CAME OUT OF THE BARREL--really FAST..

and, kind of.....killed that person over there.....UNINTENTIALLY, MIND YOU..

It fell out of my POCKET!!

Yeah....that's the ticket.....THE GUN embarked upon an ill-advised (but compulsory) journey of gravitational proportions---and that person over there SIMPLY did not get out of the WAY!

And, officer, I CAN HARDLY BE EXPECTED to be responsible for -----GRAVITY!"
    Last edited by HankT; 12-26-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Ive knocked my Glock off the kitchen counter before, but I had the common sense not to try and grab it on the way down! Just let it fall, a Glock is not going to fire from being dropped.

Really makes you wonder just how off that stats are about accidental discharge. What I mean is the person is embarrassed so of course they're going to tell police it "just went off" when it hit the ground.

This sounds like it would be a great one for the Myth Busters show. Have them take a modern firearm loaded with blanks and drop it repeatedly. I wouldn't want to do this with real ammo, (can't be too careful), but I suspect I could chamber a round in my XD-40 and throw it from one side of my yard to the other all day long and it would not discharge.

Again, would LOVE to see Myth Busters take this one on.

-I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    Ive knocked my Glock off the kitchen counter before, but I had the common sense not to try and grab it on the way down! Just let it fall, a Glock is not going to fire from being dropped.
    In all (99.98%) liklihood, you're right. That hasn't stopped me from grabbing my own firearm headed towards the ground from a counter...

I've done one thing, though: Made DANG sure that I wouldn't set it off. To date, three saves and one "clunk" wherein the safeties did precisely what they were supposed to do.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Take note that the make and model of the revolver are not disclosed. If it was a version that did not have an inertia firing pin set up, it's a very high likelihood that this could have happened as the result of a drop and is directly related to poor firearms training by the carrying individual.
    Last edited by REALteach4u; 01-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.