• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told to " Relinquish my firearm " by Boyd Co. deputy Jason Nattier

CRUMP68

Okay I'm at work at a local Liquor store and in walks two Boyd County Sheriff Deputies so as I approached them and asked what this was concerning Nattier replied " O we think you know". A couple of hours earlier a ex at the time had came threw the drive-threw a little angry and had some words with a co worker and left. So Nattier asks do I have a ccdw? I said yes. He then asks "where is it? I replied by pointing towards my belt. They then asked me to " step outside " Although I thought twice about that request I did step outside with a co worker and the deputies. As soon as we were in front of the store Dep. Nattier looks right at me and demands I " Relinquish my firearm " I look right at him and said No I will Not. He kept making that demand 3 to 4 times till I finally told him that I knew the Law and my rights and that I didn't have to " Relinquish my firearm " Because I was not under arrest, nor in the act of committing a crime, nor preserved to be committing a crime of any kind. I swear he looks at me like he is about to tackle me and said " I don't care what the... " and stops. I said go ahead and say it. I know he was going to finish it with " what the Law is" but caught himself. His partner did not say one word the entire time this was going on. Well we continued to talk about what had correspond earlier that night. As I was walking back in the store the Dep. Nattier still was saying He didn't care if a law officer asks you to " Relinquish your firearm " you do it no matter what".

Just thought I'd share that story to just get it off my chest. I was really thinking about going to the Sheriffs office and sitting down with Dep. Nattier and his Sheriff just to see what they had to say.
I fill I was in the right and that Dep. Nattier needs to learn to enforce the law not bend it to his liking.

Last edited:

WCrawford

Allow me to offer my suggestions. :)

File a complaint with the department about the deputy's actions (I might include the 2nd deputy's inaction as well).

Then after you file your complaint, write up your story in a letter (snail mail kind) and send it to the sheriff, registered mail. Include that you'd be willing to sit down and talk with him in person if he so chooses.

Now, my critique of your encounter.

Well done. Remaining calm and asserting your rights is always a win. Remember, that if the deputy had attempted to disarm you, to not resist, but assert that you do not consent to the seizure of your property. We don't want to hear of you going to jail for resisting.

M

McX

wow, compelling story......grabby little so-and-so's out there in your neck of the woods aint they. my policy is; never give a cop your gun, unless your trading up.

CenTex

wow, compelling story......grabby little so-and-so's out there in your neck of the woods aint they. my policy is; never give a cop your gun, unless your trading up.

+1
Yeah, and if you're trading up, always make sure you have his first before giving him yours. You know they are allowed to lie. He may tell you that he will swap evenly with you, but he may just want your firearm and keep his too. That ain't no fair way to trade. Now is it?

If you do decide to talk with the sheriff and the deputy, "Don't take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home Bill,
don't take your guns to town." (song) http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/donttakeyourgunstotown.html

Last edited:
M

McX

+1
Yeah, and if you're trading up, always make sure you have his first before giving him yours. You know they are allowed to lie. He may tell you that he will swap evenly with you, but he may just want your firearm and keep his too. That ain't no fair way to trade. Now is it?

If you do decide to talk with the sheriff and the deputy, "Don't take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home Bill,
don't take your guns to town." (song) http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/donttakeyourgunstotown.html

plus 1 from me on that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Allow me to offer my suggestions. :)

File a complaint with the department about the deputy's actions (I might include the 2nd deputy's inaction as well).

Then after you file your complaint, write up your story in a letter (snail mail kind) and send it to the sheriff, registered mail. Include that you'd be willing to sit down and talk with him in person if he so chooses.

Now, my critique of your encounter.

Well done. Remaining calm and asserting your rights is always a win. Remember, that if the deputy had attempted to disarm you, to not resist, but assert that you do not consent to the seizure of your property. We don't want to hear of you going to jail for resisting.

Agree with all points + file an FOIA request - really very simple to do.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Cant believe this

I went to high school with jason and he was a good kid. Now that he has a badge he thinks he is better than everyone. I have a family member who is a supervisor for the sher. dept. , and i am most certainly going to bring this to his attention. It is a shame when law enforcement tries enforcing their own laws. I would take this to as high as level as possible and get him fired. Their are some deputies at the dept. that think they can get by with nething they want. we need to stop this injustice, they are there to enforce the laws, nothing else.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
??

also, what was the sherr. dept. doing in a liquor store in ashland? They do not have jurisdiction to come to a call in the city.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
also, what was the sherr. dept. doing in a liquor store in ashland? They do not have jurisdiction to come to a call in the city.

Maybe you know something that the rest of us do not know.

I don't see where the OP said in what jurisdiction this occurred.

CenTex

You did just fine. I agree with everything that has been said here except the part about not carrying a gun to talk with the Sheriff. I think you should OC. Why not? The only reason not to is, the LEO's best friend, intimidation. I doubt he'll talk to you. One humiliation at the hands of a lowly citizen is enough for most bullies.

Some places it is illegal to carry a gun into a LE station. If it isn't there, then it becomes a matter of choice. Some sheriffs might not take to it kindly, especially if you are bringing a complaint against one of their officers. They may take it like..."in your face." Personally, I would dress nice, unarmed, and be professional. You do what ever tickles your fancy. It's your call.

Last edited:

palerider116

snip...

The 2nd deputy may have addressed the issue with the first one, or he may have brought the matter to a supervisor. I wouldn't be quick to burn the second one.

The first one is clearly across the line. The second one may have addressed the problem in a discreet manner. In a situation like that, as the second deputy, he could have tried to terminate the encounter or get it wrapped up quicker to pull the first one aside to correct him.

Sometimes your backup can make you want to :banghead:

langzaiguy

+1 to what Gutshot says.

I would think the jurisdiction of the deputy would be anywhere in the county including the cities that reside within. If all citizens of the county pay county taxes, it's only fair that they receive county protection. So much for county protection in this case...

Tribunal Power

Seems like you handled it very well, but I'm a little confused.

You were carrying in a liquor store. It was my understanding that one is not allowed to carry a weapon in place that gets more than 50% of its revenue. Does this only apply to places that serve liquor such as a bar, as opposed to just selling it like at a liquor store?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to know if I've been avoiding liquor stores for no reason.

If you were within the law (which seems to be the case, given that nobody else has questioned the liquor store thing), then you did the right thing by keeping a cool head and complying to their wishes without compromising or relinquishing your rights.

shotcop

+1 to what Gutshot says.

I would think the jurisdiction of the deputy would be anywhere in the county including the cities that reside within. If all citizens of the county pay county taxes, it's only fair that they receive county protection. So much for county protection in this case...

Can only speak for Ga. but imagine it's the same everywhere, the Sheriff is the only constitutionally elected LEO in the county, he and his lawful Deputies have not only countywide but with a warrant(including misd) statewide powers even to the point of usurping a scene from the city/county or state police. As for the liquor store, it was his place of buss, so with the owners permission he would be o-k to carry even without a permit (in Ga at least, where home car and place of buss are allowed) it's not the same as being a customer!

Tribunal Power

That only applies to places that sell liquor for on site consumption and then only applies to loaded weapons. The 50% thing only applies to concealed carry.

Interesting. So I could carry an unloaded weapon to a bar if I wanted to? Not saying I would, just curious.

OP, you reacted perfectly fine. Were I in your shoes, it could have gone worse because I was unclear on the specifics of the law. More power to you.

neuroblades

Personally, I've encountered very few LEO's that carry a weapon that I'd want to trade with! Sadly, it seems that LEO have fallen into the same trap that those wishing to look popular, have. No, I will not name the weapon brand, it should be obvious. You couldn't give me 10 of theirs for 1 of mine, granted this is a personal observation. *LOL*

neuroblades

Seems like you handled it very well, but I'm a little confused.

You were carrying in a liquor store. It was my understanding that one is not allowed to carry a weapon in place that gets more than 50% of its revenue. Does this only apply to places that serve liquor such as a bar, as opposed to just selling it like at a liquor store?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to know if I've been avoiding liquor stores for no reason.

If you were within the law (which seems to be the case, given that nobody else has questioned the liquor store thing), then you did the right thing by keeping a cool head and complying to their wishes without compromising or relinquishing your rights.

This is something that I really hadn't thought about directly. I always thought that it was only pertaining to places that derive 50% of their sells from open beverages. I could be wrong. I don't frink and therefore I never go around those places, save places such as Applebee's or Chili's.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is something that I really hadn't thought about directly. I always thought that it was only pertaining to places that derive 50% of their sells from open beverages. I could be wrong. I don't frink and therefore I never go around those places, save places such as Applebee's or Chili's.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. :lol:

IMHO, occasionally we all frink.
http://www.definitions.net/definition/frink

WCrawford

The 2nd deputy may have addressed the issue with the first one, or he may have brought the matter to a supervisor. I wouldn't be quick to burn the second one.

The first one is clearly across the line. The second one may have addressed the problem in a discreet manner. In a situation like that, as the second deputy, he could have tried to terminate the encounter or get it wrapped up quicker to pull the first one aside to correct him.

Sometimes your backup can make you want to :banghead:

Obviously why I stated that I might include the inaction of the 2nd deputy. I wasn't there so I can not determine if the 2nd deputy did do the right thing or if he just stood silent. The later could make him an accomplice in a federal civil rights violation. Emphasis on could.