• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCCC at ECU--Round Two...

Dreamer

OK, I've got a LOT of ideas for activities this coming semester. I don't know if we'll be able to get "official", because we're having a heck of a time finding any faculty that are willing to sign on as advisor, but not to worry...

If we can't get officially recognized, all that means is that we will be forced to "go independent". What that means is that we can't have a table at the "Campus Orgs" event in the Spring, and we can't get money from SAB for activities.

But they can't stop us from posting flyers, handing out brochures, hosting Range Days, or putting together a squad for local USPSA matches.

I've already got a bunch of stuff designed with regards to handouts and flyers. I'm working on getting my NRA Instructor certifications. And we have a good relationship with a local shooting range and he has been VERY willing to schedule with us and give us discounts for group days.

And I'll throw this out:

If we can get enough people for a full squad at USPSA matches (we'd need 6-10 people) I will design and silkscreen t-shirts for the first 10 "team members" for free!!!

So let's get serious folks. SCCC is a good organization, and they do a LOT of very good work. The Chapter at UNC is VERY active, as are groups in VA. I know there are a lot of students (undergrads as well as grads) at ECU who have CHPs, and even more that own handguns and enjoy the shooting sports. Lets try and drum up more interest, and if ANYONE knows of a faculty member who would be willing to sign on as an advisor, please PM me.

This semester is going to be interesting, one way or another...

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I'm definitely interested in the USPSA match. I'll try to attend the January match. I'm assuming elixin can be there too. I too agree that there are probably plenty of students who attend ECU possessing a CHP.

I thought about posting flyers on trucks or cars with NRA stickers in the Minges parking lot. Even if students aren't in it for concealed carry, it would be nice to talk to them about firearms in general. I've seen plenty of trucks with Ducks Unlimited, Browning, and outdoor related stickers; I'm willing to bet that they have an interest in firearms. There was a guy in my health class this semester that mentioned that he went hunting. The people are out there, it's just hard finding them in such a large university.

Is this group still active? http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10857959285

Speaking of a faculty member to sign. During the last range day, there was a gentleman who I believe works at ECU. Elixin, he was the guy who got there shortly after us who kept having to wait because of our conversations, etc. I work for ITCS, but I'm not full time, so I can't sign it.