• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 36, blisters from practice

Nevada carrier

It seems that every time I take out my Glock 36 for some practice shooting, I develop a rather large blood blister on the pad of my right pinky finger. I'm a right handed shooter. has anyone else had this problem? if so have you tried any of the +0 mag extensions to attempt to solve it?

I don't have this issue on any of my other pistols, but the grip on the Glock 36 is unique. My pinky finger naturally rests on the crease where the grip extension built into the magazine meets the pistole grip.

Last edited:

G20-IWB24/7

It is possible that the grip just will not work for your hand the way it is right now. One option, if you really want to keep the gun, is to have the fingergrooves removed, and have the triggerguard undercut to allow a higher grip on the pistol. By adjusting up that 1/8" or so (that could be gained) it might get your pinkie high enough on the frame to prevent the blisters from occuring.

Dreamer

I have a Glock 36 and I found it difficult to shoot comfortably with the stock magazine butt plates. It never really pinched my pinky--there siply wasn't room for my pinky at all, and trying to hold it properly to control the muzzle flip was very difficult.

I replaced my buttpads with Pearce +1 grip extensions. Not only do they give me a LOT more real-estate for my fingers to grip, but they seem to fit very well with the bottom of the grip, and haven't pinched my fingers.

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-36

I don't see the point of the +0 buttpads. They add length to the grip but give you no extra capacity. What's the point in that? If I'm going to pay $9 for a mag extension that adds nearly an inch to my grip length, I want to get something more than a comfy pinky rest out of the deal. If I'm carrying the gun loaded, and toting an extra mag that gives me 7+1 in the gun and 7 in the spare mag. Those two extra rounds may make a BIG difference someday...

My Glock is my "foul weather gun", when it's cold or rainy (and I'm wearing a coat). I have a CHP, so covering it up is OK. When the weather is nice enough my main carry piece is a Para Ordnance P-14.45, so I'm used to a big, heavy gun with a long fat grip. I'll admit that the subcompact configuration of the Glock 36 with stock mag bases feels REALLY small in my hand, but with the Pearce +1 bases, it feels more like a "full size" handgun, and is much easier to control.

And two other added bonuses are that the empty mags drop faster when ejected due to the added weight of the Pearce extensions, and reloads are faster because they Pearce bases make the second mag easier to pull out of it's carrier, and easier to handle while reloading.

I can't speak to other brands of Glock 36 basepads. I have never used the Scherer bases, or any other brand. I liked the looks of the Pearce bases, and the fact that they are made here in the USA also influenced my choice...

Good luck finding a solution. I would recommend trying the Pearce +1 basepads though. They work well for me.

Last edited:

Dreamer

get a smaller gun. I shoot a 45 Cal and never had that issue at all :monkey: :dude:

The Glock 36 is the SMALLEST gun that Glock makes. It is also the only single-stack that Glock makes. It is slim, has a short barrel and slide, and a REALLY short grip. Most adult males find that although it is VERY easy to CC with almost NO printing, it can be rather difficult to shoot comfortably, because the grip is so short, and the stock baseplates on the mags DO tend to pinch your pinky if you try to put your pinky on the front-strap.

The OP doesn't need a smaller gun. He needs smaller hands or an extended baseplate on his mags.

I shoot a Para Ordnance S-14.45 all the time, and I've never had an issue with it being hard to grip or control. But my Glock 36--in its stock configuration--is difficult for me to shoot comfortably. I have big, thin hands with long fingers. The lack of "padding" on my fingers allows me to wrap my hands around just about ANY grip--single stacks, double stacks, all-metal, polymer. Walthers, Tauruses, Paras, Colts, STIs, Springfields, whatever...

The Glock 36 is a good gun--if you ditch the stock basepads and put on some Pearce or Scherer bases on the mags. The grips are just WAY too short, IMO. And apparently a LOT of other people have the same opinion, because Pearce and Scherer sell a LOT of their extended basepads...

Nevada carrier

I have fairly small hands... My pinky is resting on the gap between the base plate and the grip which is where the pinch/rubbing is occurring, leading to a blister. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

dscf0154j.jpg

Clearly my hand is not to large for the frame of this gun. It just seems to be my bad luck that my pinky lands where it does.

Dreamer

Get a Pearce +1 mag extension.

They are sculpted with a finger groove just like the main grip. It gives your pinky a natural place to rest, and your finger will naturally gravitate into the grove, rather than resting on the gap at the bottom of the grip.

Believe me. It's an $8 investment that transforms the Glock-36 from a REALLY hard-to hold gun into a comfortable, controllable, easy-to handle sub-compact...

Nevada carrier

I know you're going to object, but I decided to order the Pearce +0 butt plates. Yes, I know I know! Why not get +1 for the extra round? The answer is simple. This is to be my concealed carry piece. I'm a fairly slender guy and the short grip was one of the selling points for concealability. I'm fine with the stock capacity as is, I just need a way to keep my pinky finger out of the gap.

Dreamer

I'm 5'11", 180lbs, and I can CC my Glock 36 with a Pearce +1 buttplate frequently. Never had a problem printing, never had a problem with it hanging up on clothing, and it is easy and comfy, with the right wardrobe...

And the fact that I get 1 more round, and an extra inch (almost) of grip makes any small CC inconvenience that MAY result from a bigger grip.

The +0 extension will work too. But for another 1/8", you could have one more round in your mag...

Nevada carrier

so just how the **** do I get these magazine butt plates off... with both magazines I've managed to get the utton jammed inside, and the butt plate will not slide off nice and easy like the manual says.

Dreamer

You have to squeeze the sides of the mag body in for them to disengage the detents on the baseplate.

GTUL makes a little plastic tool for just this purpose, and they are the ONLY manufacturer to make one for the G36. I've got one on order.

https://www.mygtul.com/products.php?c=89&p=874

When I changed my baseplates, I used a C-clamp to squeeze the mags. I wrapped a dishrag around the mag (so as not to scuff it with the metal on the c-clamp) and was REALLY careful to only tighten it enough to let the baseplates come off.

The GTUL is only $12. I've talked to several USPSA shooters who carry Glocks and they SWEAR by them...

Nevada carrier

so, never mind, you will need to put the magazine into a vice and tap the butt plate off, with a punch and a hammer. I guess Glock doesn't like the idea of their users being able to clean their mags easily; not to mention changing the butt plates.

but at any rate, I got my new Pearce +0 butt plates one and the make a nice comfy fit. Why Glock doesn't do what pearce has done with the stock mags I have no idea, but Pearce got it right.

REALteach4u

It seems that every time I take out my Glock 36 for some practice shooting, I develop a rather large blood blister on the pad of my right pinky finger. I'm a right handed shooter. has anyone else had this problem? if so have you tried any of the +0 mag extensions to attempt to solve it?

I don't have this issue on any of my other pistols, but the grip on the Glock 36 is unique. My pinky finger naturally rests on the crease where the grip extension built into the magazine meets the pistole grip.

You very well may be pinching your finger between the magazine extension and the frame. A cheap fix is to attach a very small piece of felt over that spot on the frame to cover the gap. If it's small enough it shouldn't interfere with function, safety, or reloading of the G36. I had a similar problem with the G30 when I began shooting it, it took some time for me to compensate my grip.

A technique you could try is when you mate your weak-hand to the firearm that you push it between your ring finger and your pinky finger so that your pinky is pushed down to the side of the magazine extension. Your pinky will somewhat rest under the meaty portion of your weak hand that way. It takes practice, but it's an option.

Last edited: