• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank is a federal building?

SurferStevo

I just stopped by the bank today & started to talk to the security guard who was on break outside. I asked him what he thought about open carry & if I had attempted to open carry into the bank if he would infringe on my right to do so. He insisted that the bank (a BofA branch) was a federal building. I kept telling him that a federal building would have to #1 be federal property and or house a federal agency. The bank is a private corporation & private property. But he kept insisting that the bank was a federal building. Not even the Federal Reserve Bank is a federal building as it is a privately owned banking cartel. I did mention that since the bank is private property I could be asked to leave for open carry but it is legal to do so. I just have never done open carry in a bank because I don't want to stir things up.
We were talking & he told me that his car broke down & he has to take the bus to work admitting the he illegally concealed carries on the bus. Since he can't loaded open carry. I told him that he has the option of UOC I gave him a pamphlet about open carry with the penal codes but he seemed to dismiss penal code sticking with his personal beliefs.
Anyway, I'm interested in comments on my rant. So, fire away.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
That particular location might be, but by virtue of being a bank, it is not Federal building.

I have carried in several banks, including BOA's, WAMU's (Chase), and others. . . no one cares.

Watch for school zones.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Some have alleged that since the accounts at a bank are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation that the bank is somehow federal property.

Like saying that since your house, car, airplane ect are insured by "State Farm" that make them OWNED by "State Farm"... 'tis not so!

A bank is a bank is a bank.... Don't know of ANY bank that is OWNED by the Federal Government. The Federal Statute prohibiting carry in FEDERAL Buildings is only WHERE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES REGULARLY CONDUCT THEIR FEDERAL DUTIES! (go ahead --- read this last sentence again and take it both ways!)Are the bank employees Federal Employees?
Slight tangents follow...
This Federal statute has an exemption for "OTHER LAWFUL ACTIVITIES," and I humbly suggest that SELF DEFENSE fits very easily within "other lawful activities." To date, not one of the federal properties has elected to read the statute in this manner as far as I know!

Post office carry is prohibited under a different statute that does not include the "other lawful activities" line, but rather "for official purposes" and I would suggest that my entering to purchase stamps, mail a parcel, pick up "express mail" packaging is "for official purposes!" To date, I am not aware of the post office RECOGNIZING this simple read of the statute and it remains untested to my knowledge!

Last edited:

Gundude

Security gaurds and on par with gun store owners for the amount of mis information the spread. Chewy excluded. :lol:

JJ

I just stopped by the bank today & started to talk to the security guard who was on break outside. I asked him what he thought about open carry & if I had attempted to open carry into the bank if he would infringe on my right to do so. He insisted that the bank (a BofA branch) was a federal building. I kept telling him that a federal building would have to #1 be federal property and or house a federal agency. The bank is a private corporation & private property. But he kept insisting that the bank was a federal building. Not even the Federal Reserve Bank is a federal building as it is a privately owned banking cartel. I did mention that since the bank is private property I could be asked to leave for open carry but it is legal to do so. I just have never done open carry in a bank because I don't want to stir things up.
We were talking & he told me that his car broke down & he has to take the bus to work admitting the he illegally concealed carries on the bus. Since he can't loaded open carry. I told him that he has the option of UOC I gave him a pamphlet about open carry with the penal codes but he seemed to dismiss penal code sticking with his personal beliefs.

I have had no problems carrying at my bank.

In California, Security Guards are allowed to LOC to and from there place of employment while in uniform.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

I've openly carried in several bank branches. No one has made a fuss.

The security guard is jeopardizing his employment by carrying illegally. UOC probably wouldnt be much help to him in this regard either.

SurferStevo

I have had no problems carrying at my bank.

Right, I wouldn't think you would have problems. This guy told me if I was UOC'ing that I would be asked to leave. That's fine since it is as I thought private propetry & they do have a right to ask me to leave. He also said he would call the police. I asked him what they would charge me with....He started up again with the federal building spiel.

In California, Security Guards are allowed to LOC to and from there place of employment while in uniform.

That's what I thought too but he says he gets hassled by LEO's while waiting for the bus. More evidence that this guy is unsure of what he is talking about.
Thanks guys!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Cite please.

Asking a security guard for a legal opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

chewy352

The permission is given in PC 12031. However the guard must have both a valid Guard Card and Exposed Firearms Permit, be in uniform, and employed as an armed guard. But hey what do I know I'm just a lowley security guard who gets paid to read laws and gun forums. lol

12031 (d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following who
have been issued a certificate pursuant to Section 12033. The
certificate shall not be required of any person who is a peace
officer, who has completed all training required by law for the
exercise of his or her power as a peace officer, and who is employed
while not on duty as a peace officer.

5) Uniformed security guards, regularly employed and compensated
in that capacity by persons engaged in any lawful business, and
uniformed alarm agents employed by an alarm company operator, while
actually engaged in protecting and preserving the property of their
employers or on duty or en route to or from their residences or their
places of employment, and security guards and alarm agents en route
to or from their residences or employer-required range training.
Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to prohibit cities and
counties from enacting ordinances requiring alarm agents to register
their names.

If you like here is the BSIS Exposed Firearms Permit Manual if you want to read more.

Last edited:

Army

Both of my banks are on the outside ''nth'' edge of a 1000' vfsz (victim filled school zone), and I've yet to have any troubles from the Guards or local PD.

Heck, one guard is a regular shooter at the club range :)

We-the-People

Even in the much more free (but still screwed up) state of Oregon it's rediculous how many people think that banks are "Federal buildings".

Still, I don't ask permission or "recon"....I just wear my weapon (here it's loaded) and go about my business.

JJ

Thanks for posting Chewy

The permission is given in PC 12031. However the guard must have both a valid Guard Card and Exposed Firearms Permit, be in uniform, and employed as an armed guard. But hey what do I know I'm just a lowley security guard who gets paid to read laws and gun forums. lol

12031 (d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following who
have been issued a certificate pursuant to Section 12033. The
certificate shall not be required of any person who is a peace
officer, who has completed all training required by law for the
exercise of his or her power as a peace officer, and who is employed
while not on duty as a peace officer.

5) Uniformed security guards, regularly employed and compensated
in that capacity by persons engaged in any lawful business, and
uniformed alarm agents employed by an alarm company operator, while
actually engaged in protecting and preserving the property of their
employers or on duty or en route to or from their residences or their
places of employment, and security guards and alarm agents en route
to or from their residences or employer-required range training.
Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to prohibit cities and
counties from enacting ordinances requiring alarm agents to register
their names.

If you like here is the BSIS Exposed Firearms Permit Manual if you want to read more.