• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle Cross Country Options

OC or Pass?

• Carry On! Little trouble expected.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not worth the risk.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

marinepilot81

Next summer I'm going to ride from California to North Carolina on the "open carry, no helmet" route in conjunction with military orders.

My route takes me from San Diego to Salton Sea and then up to Blythe where I'll enter America on I-10 and press on. What I'm trying to do is get a feel for is the carry environment and decide between these two choices:

1. Unloaded OC is legal. Carry on. This risks timeline, military orders, imprisonment, etc. Could be more hassle than it's worth if I'm passing through.

2. Motorycle + open carry + back roads (not "most direct route") = trouble...play nice, let the locals handle it, take my fight to Pensacola.

If I didn't OC, I'd have my 1911 unloaded, action zip tied, case locked, mags in a seperate pouch with holster. I'd then buy ammo in Quartzsite, AZ and continue to Prescott.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Not knowing your exact route, but as described, it seems to potentially traverse the Great State of Texas IN WHICH OPEN CARRY IS PROHIBITED. That is not to say you will have problems but if you did, your CO may be just a tad bit perturbed!

Also, per my understanding, without a helmet if you were to be injured YOU could face military prosecution for the damage you imposed upon military property (YOU).

Enjoy your ride, carry as able and where legal. Have fun and don't get into trouble!

No requirement that I am aware of to "ziptie" your action. For the federal safe law, the handgun just needs to be secured in a case and preferably NOT immediately available to the driver. The Communist State of California is the only one I am aware of at least until you get to Texas that will restrict your ability to carry your firearm fully loaded (this applies to the firearm, NOT THE OPERATOR)! Texas says no open carry but does not care if it is loaded!

Last edited:

marinepilot81

Route = CA, AZ, UT, CO, KS, MO, TN, VA, NC.

2 of those states have helmet laws. The rest...well my mommy says I can ride without a helmet so not interested in what the military says.

My main question is whether OC is worth the risk. The "Before you carry in Cali" thread says if you're not willing to suffer stops, detainments, imprisonment, or legal battles, don't carry. Didn't know if the San Diego area was that hostile.

chewy352

I voted no OC. Personally I think you would have way to many laws to study/memorize ranging from state laws all the way down to city municipal codes for every municipality you enter. I think you would be better off getting non res CCW for all the states you can and ccing.

markm

Thanks for serving, Marine Pilot!

I voted no OC.

While in States where OC is considered constitutionally protected, I would OC (AZ for one). In other states, like Kali, where many police have been trained to violate enumerated rights while the citizen is acting legally as codified by the PC, I would be very careful.

Where OC is clearly legal, I would.

Otherwise, lock up and follow federal firearms transport laws.

You can get non-resident CCW permits from several states while not leaving Kali. These may be useful as these permits come with reciprocity for many other states.

You are doing enough to maintain our civil liberties and culture by your service in the Marines. You don't need to do any more by getting arrested while using your 1A rights.

Thanks!

markm