Thread: Gun buyback stupidity now after toy guns.

Gun buyback stupidity now after toy guns.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...rens_toy_guns/

"Prodded by Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch, who wore a fuzzy Santa hat, the children stared curiously as the Bash-O-Matic mashed up their guns and digested them into a plastic bin near its tail."

Other than not being a buy-back, it is a scheme for telling kids that the toys their parents have allowed for at least a year are now bad, dangerous, and not safe because the cops could shoot you if they saw you playing with it.

Consider how much better off everyone would have been if instead of the Bash-o-matic just before Christmas they had conducted two or three NRA Eddie Eagel presentations across the year. No need for the kids to be confused over the toys their parents buy for them, or why their parents buy them toys that could get them shot by the cops, or for the local government to either extort products from local merchants or expend tax dollars paying for inexpensive, non-engaging products that kids apparently understand are a really bad exchange for the toys they coerced into feeding into the Basah-o-matic. And, at the end of the year the kids have been "indoctrinated" not to play with guns, and how to safely and sanely deal with what to do about a gun they see where it's not being controlled by an adult.

But it's all perverted reverse-Zardoz: "The gun is evil!" And it makes just about as much sense.

stay safe.

I'd be just uppity enough to commission a solid chunk of steel to be machined into the proper shape, paint it the proper color(s), and watch that munching machine designed to kill hollow plastic toys self destruct on good 'ol hardened American industry.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Other than not being a buy-back, it is a scheme for telling kids that the toys their parents have allowed for at least a year are now bad, dangerous, and not safe because the cops could shoot you if they saw you playing with it.

Consider how much better off everyone would have been if instead of the Bash-o-matic just before Christmas they had conducted two or three NRA Eddie Eagel presentations across the year. No need for the kids to be confused over the toys their parents buy for them, or why their parents buy them toys that could get them shot by the cops, or for the local government to either extort products from local merchants or expend tax dollars paying for inexpensive, non-engaging products that kids apparently understand are a really bad exchange for the toys they coerced into feeding into the Basah-o-matic. And, at the end of the year the kids have been "indoctrinated" not to play with guns, and how to safely and sanely deal with what to do about a gun they see where it's not being controlled by an adult.

But it's all perverted reverse-Zardoz: "The gun is evil!" And it makes just about as much sense.

stay safe.
    I guess I thought it was a buy back because of this; "The event is a mix of the macabre and the playful, a children’s version of the gun buyback program in which adults trade firearms for gift certificates." It went on to say they were trading toy gund for toys.

I agree, it is an indoctrination of the kiddies. I plan to teach mine that these types of people are not to be trusted. He will already know about gun safety long before one of these types gets to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
    I'd be just uppity enough to commission a solid chunk of steel to be machined into the proper shape, paint it the proper color(s), and watch that munching machine designed to kill hollow plastic toys self destruct on good 'ol hardened American industry.
    I like this idea.

This is an awful story. I shared it on my FB page and was sad to see antis chime in. One woman said she worked at Goodwill and intentionally threw away water guns, etc. No-- it wasn't Goodwill policy. She chose to impose her values on others.

I agree whole heartedly that this is insidious propaganda and it's meant to soften up future generations when the REAL gun confiscation begins. Guns are neither inherently evil nor good. Yet, I posed the question to one of my FB friends, did they suppose that the guns in the hands of the American GIs that liberated Auschwitz-- were those also EVIL guns?

I'm sorry, but sadly the populace has become so damned stupid these days, it's hard to make the case that many of these folks are worthy of the rights that our founders fought and bled for. It's discouraging sometimes the mentality that's out there. Just give us our television and keep us fat, dumb, and stupid and we don't care what's going on around us.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerFor2A View Post
    This is an awful story.
    Indeed! I literarlly felt my heart sink.

I agree whole heartedly that this is insidious propaganda and it's meant to soften up future generations when the REAL gun confiscation begins.
    No doubt, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the lies of Providence municipal and law enforcement officials about having "organized the event around Christmastime as a way to raise awareness of the dangers of playing with guns, real or fake." Following their logic and example, let's organize an LEO-dismissing event around Easter to raise awareness that law enforcement is dangerous because they carry firearms.

Yes, I said lies. Read on:

Accidental motor vehicle deaths are more than 28 times more prevalent than accidental firearms deaths. Do we "raise awareness of the dangers" by crunching toy cars, including HotWheels and battery-powered kidding carts?

No, as that would be utterly absurd. Instead, we teach our children basic laws and common-sense rules of the road, such as only crossing the street when the light's in your favor, driving on the right side of the road, not allowing yourself to become distracted, etc., as well as taking them along with as as we drive places.

In short, we teach them that cars can be dangerous if handled inappropriately, but useful tools when handled appropriately, and we certainly teach them the latter. In fact, I think drivers' education is mandatory in all 50 states, as it is throughout most of the civilized world.

Guns are far less dangerous than motor vehicles, nearly thirty times less, even though we have approximately the same number of firearms here in the U.S. as we have motor vehicles (at least the ratio is less than 2).

Do firearms require respect? Yes.

Should parents educate their children about the dangers of firearms? Yes.

Should they do so by saying, "Bad gun! BAD gun!" while tossing it into a cruncher? Given their children are 28 times more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident, should they "Bad car! BAD car!" while tossing it into a junkyard?

Remember all those SATs and ACTs we took in high school? Here's a question for you:

Motor vehicle safety is to parent and school-based driver education as firearms safety is to:

1. shredding and/or banning firearms
    2. joining the Brady Campaign
    3. parent and program-based firearms education i.e. the NRA's Eddie Eagle programs
    4. initiating "man with a gun" calls to 911

Guns are neither inherently evil nor good. Yet, I posed the question to one of my FB friends, did they suppose that the guns in the hands of the American GIs that liberated Auschwitz-- were those also EVIL guns?
    Very sane thought!

I'm sorry, but sadly the populace has become so damned stupid these days...
    Sad, but true, and I hate to say it, but our boys in blue often do it to themselves when they come up with totally illogical, hare-brained ideas like the one mentioned in the OP's link.

...it's hard to make the case that many of these folks are worthy of the rights that our founders fought and bled for.
    I suppose if these people are that stupid, perhaps they or their children shouldn't have access to guns. After all, isn't a gross lack of IQ merely another form of mental incompetancy? Would that not disqualify them under the usual psychological incompetance rule?

And for that matter, what if they're law-enforcement? Given the unmitigable danger of firearms, I'm quite certain they should be the first to toss their firearms on the burning alter of gun-free justice! No? Well, if not, then by not doing so while demanding we do, they've raised the specter of facism over our beloved country, but that's a topic for another thread...

I'll say one thing, by eliminating themselves from the gun-toting gene pool, they're making a good argument that they're either only borderline cases, or simply those who would prefer not to handle or otherwise think about firearms, and that's fine! If the latter, I respect that choice as much as I respect anyone's choice to carry, whether open carry, or concealed carry.

The problem, however, is when people who're convinced "guns are evil," start insisting everyone else believe as they do.

Phooey!
    Last edited by since9; 12-25-2010 at 04:25 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerFor2A View Post
    This is an awful story. I shared it on my FB page and was sad to see antis chime in. One woman said she worked at Goodwill and intentionally threw away water guns, etc. No-- it wasn't Goodwill policy. She chose to impose her values on others.

I agree whole heartedly that this is insidious propaganda and it's meant to soften up future generations when the REAL gun confiscation begins. Guns are neither inherently evil nor good. Yet, I posed the question to one of my FB friends, did they suppose that the guns in the hands of the American GIs that liberated Auschwitz-- were those also EVIL guns? I'm sorry, but sadly the populace has become so damned stupid these days, it's hard to make the case that many of these folks are worthy of the rights that our founders fought and bled for. It's discouraging sometimes the mentality that's out there. Just give us our television and keep us fat, dumb, and stupid and we don't care what's going on around us.
    The Auschwitz main camp, the Birkenau death camp and the Monowitz labor camp were liberated by soldiers of the Soviet Union in the First Army of the Ukrainian Front, under the command of Marshal Koniev, on January 27, 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    The Auschwitz main camp, the Birkenau death camp and the Monowitz labor camp were liberated by soldiers of the Soviet Union in the First Army of the Ukrainian Front, under the command of Marshal Koniev, on January 27, 1945.
    Sorry thanks for correcting me on that. Point remains that guns can be used as a force for good against evil.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Indeed! I literarlly felt my heart sink.

No doubt, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the lies of Providence municipal and law enforcement officials about having "organized the event around Christmastime as a way to raise awareness of the dangers of playing with guns, real or fake." Following their logic and example, let's organize an LEO-dismissing event around Easter to raise awareness that law enforcement is dangerous because they carry firearms.

Yes, I said lies. Read on:

{snip}
    Phooey!
    It is full of lies I wrote an essay and tried without avail to get it published that showed the "accidental" and children fire arm related deaths are plain false, no papers would publish it. I got all my figures from CDC and other government websites. (Funny since that time CDC made it much harder to get the info I got but you still can get it)

Interesting side not pointed out that the majority of kids abused, neglected or killed by parents are done so by their mothers. Funny how courts never see this as fact in custody disputes by fathers.

If this happened close to me I'd bring my kids down to offer to pay more for the toy guns than what they'll get from the "authorities".
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Has no one else caught the irony that the (toy) gun buy back/trade was held in a SCHOOL?

"the annual Toy Gun Bash in the gymnasium of Pleasant View Elementary School."

Just another little inconvenient detail. One set of rules for them and another set for us.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-26-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Has no one else caught the irony that the (toy) gun buy back/trade was held in a SCHOOL?
    Oh, heavens! Nothing like breaking federal law in the process of infringing on our Constitutional rights.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

So considering how this story started, by stating:

Yesterday, younger children ran through a rubber obstacle course while officials told the older children the story of a 14-year-old boy who police nearly shot after they confused his air pistol with a real gun.
    my take-away from this story is this:

1) If you are a child, and have a toy gun, the Boston police will try to SHOOT YOU.

2) The only way to ensure that the Boston police won't shoot you is to let them steal and destroy your personal property.

Welcome to the "New Freedom" boys and girls...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 12-27-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

It's not theft if you don't protest the taking of it.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    Cohersion, intimidation.

How many minors do you know that will object in the face of a parent AND law enforcement.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    When something is taken by using a con job, it IS theft. It is basically a "confidence scam."
    Last edited by wrightme; 12-27-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    What Federal law was broken?
    There are far more federal laws that exist aside from what are discussed herein: like this.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    There are far more federal laws that exist aside from what are discussed herein: like this.

Your link just goes back to this same thread

(For a moment I thought I was losing my mind)
    Last edited by END_THE_FED; 12-29-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Sick, demented criminal kids with toys guns!

Looks like major indoctrination to me.
    That first sentence, how creepy, brandished, caressed!
    It mentions they received a toy, I hope it wasn’t some chemical or lead filed toy for China or Mexico?