• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

im injured, in an ambulance and carrying. what do i do?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
If you're injured and in an ambulance, worrying about your firearm should be the least of your concerns.

If Idaho (where you're at) is similar to Pennsylvania (where I'm at), the EMTs/Paramedics will, upon discovery of such, attempt to turn it over to an on-site law enforcement officer for safekeeping. If none is available, they will secure it within the ambulance and turn it over to the ER people along with the rest of your personal effects. The hospital should secure it just like any other valuables you might have on your person.

Now, if you're in New Jersey, be prepared to go straight from the hospital to a jail cell awaiting trial.

Mas49.56

When I used to work Trauma Alerts and we found weapons on our unconscious patients, we would clear them, put a patient ID sticker on it and give them to the investigating law dog. When I worked MRI I would make them put it in a locker. Lots of armed folks out there! Legal and illegal. Any OC weapon found on your body by EMS most likely would go to the cops if a MVA or your family if a stroke or something.

JoeSparky

Centurion
In my first and only incident to date where an ambulance was called for me,

I had my son take my weapon and extra mags... I KNEW HE WAS LEGAL, he was already carrying his own. I knew he would be safe. I knew that he wouldn't be having any negligent discharges attempting to clear a weapon. And I knew that no one else would be injured as a result of him having my defensive tools in his possession!

For the record, I worked full time as an EMT from Sept 1979- August 1986 and then part time until July 1990. I do recall having 2 patients tell me that they had weapons that were secured and cleared BEFORE OUR ARRIVAL ON SCENE of their incidents!

ecocks

I'd ask for a police officer and have them secure the weapon, asking them to please give it to a family member. If there was a firearm in a vehicle being towed from the scene I'd ask them to either wait for a family member to come collect them or secure them somewhere other than the impound area.

If no Leo's or family members available, I'd go with the EMT securing it to give to the hospital when I go in the ER.

Last edited: