• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a warning

Bowers

I was driving through Bemidji the other day, and got pulled over for speeding. Oddly enough, the cop had me get out of my car, and sit in the front seat of his car while he ran my info, and we chatted. I've never heard of that happening before. Anyone else?

On an unrelated topic, I bought a new P238 as a BUG yesterday, and am stoked!

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
1. We you carrying at the time?
2. I've seen this multiple times in SD, and one of my in-laws had the same experience. I'd never heard of it before moving out to SD from Maryland. I don't know why they do it either.

jayspapa

Up until the mid to late 80's around here ( Southern Illinois ) you got in the front seat with the leo. I am surprised to hear that a LEA is doing it at this point in time.

I would think they would want to keep you in front of their camera and keep distance for safety reasons.

Bowers

I was carrying concealed at the time, but I didn't disclose this to the LEO, so that wasn't really a factor. As such, this is kinda off topic completely. Since MN isn't a shall-inform (or whatever the term is for that) I felt no need to tell him.

FMCDH

I was carrying concealed at the time, but I didn't disclose this to the LEO, so that wasn't really a factor. As such, this is kinda off topic completely. Since MN isn't a shall-inform (or whatever the term is for that) I felt no need to tell him.

Don't make it an issue if its not going to be an issue, Is my policy.

If the LEO is going to find out anyway for whatever reason (like stepping out of the car while OC), then I go ahead and let them know what and where so that rare "skit" doesn't freak when he finds it, otherwise I keep it to myself.

Pre-notifying every LEO you come in contact with (unless the law says you must) is just silly, and its asking for conflict sooner or later.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I didn't ask the OP if he was OCing because it is relevant to his story, but because if he wasn't OCing this thread might be better placed in the general discussion or social lounge forums.

protias

Friend of mine got a ticket about 5 years ago and sat in the front of the LEO's car.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Anyone else?

Yes, also in MN, quite a few years ago. Trooper pulled me over, I got out of my car and approached him, his eyes got big for a moment, I leaned into his window and said "What do you want?"

He was cool though, asked me to sit in front with him while he ran my DL. We had a nice chat, I got no ticket and off I went.

Nevada carrier

When I was just 17, Living in Iowa, I was pulled over for speeding. The officer informed me that I was going 45 in a 35. I told him that recently the sign had been changed moving the start of the upcoming 35 MPH zone further down the road and that the area he told me I had been clocked going 35 was in fact a 45. he invited me to his car and we drove back up the road to investigate. It turns out I was right, he returned me to my car and apologized for the misunderstanding saying he had just returned from medical leave and wasn't made aware of the change.

Only time in my life a police officer ever apologized to me and admitted his error.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
When I was just 17, Living in Iowa, I was pulled over for speeding. The officer informed me that I was going 45 in a 35. I told him that recently the sign had been changed moving the start of the upcoming 35 MPH zone further down the road and that the area he told me I had been clocked going 35 was in fact a 45. he invited me to his car and we drove back up the road to investigate. It turns out I was right, he returned me to my car and apologized for the misunderstanding saying he had just returned from medical leave and wasn't made aware of the change.

Only time in my life a police officer ever apologized to me and admitted his error.

You're not the only one with an experience like that in Iowa. I have a lead foot and an addiction to sport bikes, so I've been pulled over my fair share, average about once every year and a half or so. When I got pulled over two of the times I sat in the front seat while getting the ticket. Generally, the state patrol is more professional than local LE, especially when it comes to more rural areas. I've never had a problem with any LEO here in Iowa and I tend to keep it that way. I've never heard of it being thought of as uncommon until joining this forum, so I guess it must be less common in other states.

Nevada carrier

I've never had a problem with any LEO here in Iowa

At least one of us can say that. There is one U of I campus police officer who lost his job because he violated my 4A rights. It was not his first time on the stand trying to explain his actions and the judge had enough. After suppressing the evidence against me, and dismissing the charges, the judge had the officer stopped at the court house door to bring the officer back into the court room so she could explain that she was going to issue a judicial reprimand for official misconduct also recommending that he be terminated for repeated rights violations.

I think the judges final words were what really shocked me; she said, "I would be willing to bet that because of the cost of defending a criminal charge it is highly probable that you have gotten away with far too many constitutional rights violations, you are a liability to the University of Iowa, the city, the county, the state and the justice system as a whole; get out of my court room."

MKEgal

Darkshadow62988 said:
I have a lead foot and an addiction to sport bikes, so I've been pulled over my fair share...
Um... mixing your metaphors aren't you?
A lead foot on a motorcycle would have you going nowhere, or at least doing it in 1st gear.
:rolleyes::lol:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Um... mixing your metaphors aren't you?
A lead foot on a motorcycle would have you going nowhere, or at least doing it in 1st gear.
:rolleyes::lol:

No, I meant it to suggest that I speed too much, both on four wheels, and on 1or2, but I can see how that could be misconstrued.

M

McX

At least one of us can say that. There is one U of I campus police officer who lost his job because he violated my 4A rights. It was not his first time on the stand trying to explain his actions and the judge had enough. After suppressing the evidence against me, and dismissing the charges, the judge had the officer stopped at the court house door to bring the officer back into the court room so she could explain that she was going to issue a judicial reprimand for official misconduct also recommending that he be terminated for repeated rights violations.

I think the judges final words were what really shocked me; she said, "I would be willing to bet that because of the cost of defending a criminal charge it is highly probable that you have gotten away with far too many constitutional rights violations, you are a liability to the University of Iowa, the city, the county, the state and the justice system as a whole; get out of my court room."

Wow! just when i thought justice was dying in America!