• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going public with OC

mspgunner

I'm the "dude" that put on the 2nd amendment rally at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis in February 2010. This was the week that CCW became legal on Nat'l Park Service property, that's why I did the rally.

There are so many exceptions to our Second Amendment Rights I just felt like doing something "public" and "pro-active" getting folks involved. It was a moderate success.

While I do not OC as a matter of habit I fully understand the reasons, although I defer explaination of web questions to the more public display folks what are perhaps better at explaining this.

The meat of the post: Is there anyone on this forum who wants to go public and put on an Open Carry "event" and attract "news" coverage such as was the case earlier this year in Kansas City? They did get some local covereage and basically came out of the closet as it were.

I did the rally at the Arch with a permit from The National Park Sevice (NPS), it wasn't hard to do. Naturally this cannot be done at the Arch because OC is not legal in the City of St. Louis, therfore not permitted at the Arch grounds.

I'll leave it to the folks doing the most PR in the St. Louis area to find a time, place and permits if any to hold such an event or NOT! If you are looking to "educate" the public this would sure be one heck of a way to do so.

Although I would attend I am not so motivated to do plan and execute such a rally. As many here know there are parks and such in the area where OC is legal. I worked in cooperation with the NPS, the City of St. Louis Police and Park Police to ensure there were no problems with over 150 armed people (all be it CCW) at the rally with radio and TV media invited and present. There were about 10 State Represnetatives and Senators present as well as some other out spoken 2A speakers folks who talked.

If some one has the motivation and desire to spear head this sort of thing I'd be happy to give assistants into the process. I will start attending more OC events in area and continue to educate people and support the second amendment which is so badly beaten about by Federal, State and Local laws that infringe on our 2A rights as defined in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I subscribe to many 2A forums and put my $, time and mouth where my heart is. This has been a busy year getting a lot of pro-2A legislators in office in Jefferson City. We need to keep them motivated and informed.

April 6th is " Gun Day" at the Capitol, the permit is secured and it would be a good thing if a few hundred people showed up to support our "Right to Keep and Bear Arms", talk with their legislators and let the people of Missouri know we are still here! Don't whine.... ACT! Be there!

Last edited:

mspgunner

Public OC

If anyone is serious about getting more PR for OC please email me a :
mspar15@aol.com (I've had the same email address for 20 years, not a fad)

Other sites are also talking about the Pre-emption clause in Missouri and the legislative session coming soon! I'm aslking the 2A Groups in Missouri to "PLEASE COORDINATE", if everyone sends their own agenda and spokes people to JC we may just suffer from 2A overload and nothing gets done! Don't blow it while we have a very good 2A legislature in the House and Senate!

mspgunner

Gun Day

What do you mean by April 6th being gun day?

Every year there is a "gun rally" at the capitol in Jeffereson City.
That is the day. Has been happening for 6 or 7 years. Hopefully hundreds will show up. If you want changes in the Missouri law, show up and talk with your legislators. Many of them show up and speak at this rally.