• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

White Christmas causes Suspension of Bill of Rights in NC...*EDIT: No suspension*

Daylen

I don't recall anything in the Constitution of the United States of American which grants any state any authority whatsoever to suspend rights guaranteed by the Constitution during a statewide emergency.

What other rights are suspended? Suffrage? Non-discrimination by means of race, sex, or religious affiliation?

that would be the 10th amendment. The real question is what in NC State Consitution gives them such a power.

cricketdad

Lt. Gov. Dalton, in consultation with Gov. Perdue has declared a State of Emergency for the ENTIRE STATE of NC, because of the snow...

Merry Christmas--now it's against the law to carry in NC...

It's also against the law to purchase firearms or ammo or alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, or liquor)--EVERYWHERE in the state.

It's also against the law to possess or transport ANY firearm off your own property--EVERYWHERE in the state...

Thanks, Governor Perdue and Lt. Gov. Dalton.

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a complete suspension of fundamental human rights...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-288.7.html

Do you have a cite for this. I've heard about but cannot find the actual SOE. Not doubting it doesn't exist, just can't find it.

Dreamer

Do you have a cite for this. I've heard about but cannot find the actual SOE. Not doubting it doesn't exist, just can't find it.

The SOE doesn't have to specifically say anything to bring this statute into effect--it AUTOMATICALLY kicks in any time an SoE is declared...

As for this so-called SoE, it has not yet been published on either the Governor's web site or the Lt. Gov.'s website...

North Carolina General Statutes § 14-288.7

Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:
(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or
(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.
(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

http://law.justia.com/northcarolina/codes/2005/chapter_14/gs_14-288.7.html

cricketdad

Dreamer

According to NC Statutes, a declared SoE ends 30 days after it was declared, or whenever it is called off by the Governor (or whatever public official declared it), which ever is sooner.

B

bgreene89

HElP!

§ 14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

What does this mean we cannot open carry anymore? What about conceal carry? This does not make sense to the 2nd Amendments! So can we carry guns? WTF! I'm freaking out! What About Us Hunters?

Last edited:

Dreamer

During declares SoE's, it is technically illegal to transport, possess, buy or sell ammo or firearms ANYWHERE the emergency is declared (which in this case, is the ENTIRE state), except on your own property.

However, there hasn't been anyone prosecuted (or even cited) for this since the "race riots" of the 1960's.

This is a BAD law, that was passed for "Jim Crow" reasons. It needs to be removed from the NC Statutes. It is an embarrassment, and a racist blot on name of the fine people of NC.

But even if this law is never enforced, it is STILL on the books, and CAN BE. For some reason, the Governor seems to think she can instruct the LEAs of NC to selectively enforce NC Criminal Codes, for politically expedient reasons.

All that said, even if someone WERE to be cited for this violation, it is only a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

I would suggest people start hanging out in Gun Stores and WalMarts and calling their local Sheriff every time a purchase of ammo or firearms is made, and reporting the sales clerk. Photo or video documentation would be a good idea...

B

bgreene89

Gun Shop

During declares SoE's, it is technically illegal to transport, possess, buy or sell ammo or firearms ANYWHERE the emergency is declared (which in this case, is the ENTIRE state), except on your own property.

However, there hasn't been anyone prosecuted (or even cited) for this since the "race riots" of the 1960's.

This is a BAD law, that was passed for "Jim Crow" reasons. It needs to be removed from the NC Statutes. It is an embarrassment, and a racist blot on name of the fine people of NC.

But even if this law is never enforced, it is STILL on the books, and CAN BE. For some reason, the Governor seems to think she can instruct the LEAs of NC to selectively enforce NC Criminal Codes, for politically expedient reasons.

All that said, even if someone WERE to be cited for this violation, it is only a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

I would suggest people start hanging out in Gun Stores and WalMarts and calling their local Sheriff every time a purchase of ammo or firearms is made, and reporting the sales clerk. Photo or video documentation would be a good idea...

Me and my dad run a gun shop every day, and have not been informed of this! We have the right to transport (as gun dealers) I wonder what ATF (Alcohol Tobacco Firearms) is going to say about this,selling and transporting stuff, when I call them tomorrow?

Last edited:

sFe

I guess they didn't get much flak about it this time because it wasn't the start of hunting season as it was during the hurricane. Hopefully this will be changed next legislative session.

Dreamer

Me and my dad run a gun shop every day, and have not been informed of this! We have the right to transport (as gun dealers) I wonder what ATF (Alcohol Tobacco Firearms) is going to say about this,selling and transporting stuff, when I call them tomorrow?

BATFE won't have ANYTHING to say about it, because they are a FEDERAL agency, and NCGS 14-288.7 is a STATE STATUTE.

Federal "officials" (except Judges) cannot give legal advice or interpretation State or Local laws.

They will most likely refer you to the NC Attorney General, who will give you the same BS non-answer they've been giving on this issue for years.

But the fact remains that buying, selling, and transporting firearms, ammo, and "dangerous materials" anywhere but on your own private property is a Class 1 Misdemeanor in NC during a Declared State of Emergency.

The fact that the police don't prosecute violators of this law does not make it any less real. It just points to the reality of the situation that this law is stupid and needs to be repealed and erased from the NC Statute.

B

bgreene89

Keep us Updated On the Latest News!

I guess they didn't get much flak about it this time because it wasn't the start of hunting season as it was during the hurricane. Hopefully this will be changed next legislative session.

We never heard nothing about it then, however I saw that tonight online. I will get to the bottom of this tomorrow with the ATF headquarters. If anyone hears an update please keep this forum updated on the latest news.

Also I have not seen nothing about this on the news? Where did she declare the state of emergency for the snow?,Can someone show me? They need to announce it if they want it enforced, not charge people with a misdemeanor that goes on there criminal record that people have no clue over! There are good law abiding citizen's of the U.S. that have no clue this is in effect!

Governor Bev Perdue has lost my respect, and vote as a citizen of the United States Of America. For conflicting with our 2nd amendment rights as U.S. citizen's.

I'm Sorry if I sound hateful, I apologize. It just really upsets me when, I see a government official try to change/edit our rights of the U.S. Constitution

Take a look at this...

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=329

http://saf.org/legal.action/nc.lawsuit/nc_complaint.pdf

Sincerely,
Blake

Last edited:
B

bgreene89

BATFE won't have ANYTHING to say about it, because they are a FEDERAL agency, and NCGS 14-288.7 is a STATE STATUTE.

Federal "officials" (except Judges) cannot give legal advice or interpretation State or Local laws.

They will most likely refer you to the NC Attorney General, who will give you the same BS non-answer they've been giving on this issue for years.

But the fact remains that buying, selling, and transporting firearms, ammo, and "dangerous materials" anywhere but on your own private property is a Class 1 Misdemeanor in NC during a Declared State of Emergency.

The fact that the police don't prosecute violators of this law does not make it any less real. It just points to the reality of the situation that this law is stupid and needs to be repealed and erased from the NC Statute.

So this has been a law for years?

This I have a major problem with there pretty much telling the ABC stores to close and lock there doors, and the gun dealers to do the same! Oh btw just take off 30 days without pay.

I agree 100%

buzzsaw

So this has been a law for years?

This I have a major problem with there pretty much telling the ABC stores to close and lock there doors, and the gun dealers to do the same! Oh btw just take off 30 days without pay.

I agree 100%

I, like many other Tar Heels, have been following this issue for a number of years. My focus had remained totally fixed on the firearms side of the issue until I read the above post. For some reason, it never occurred to me to pursue it from any different angle until I read the above post and a light went off. The Governor (the head of the state govt.) should be under arrest for failure to abide by the law set into effect by the SOE since she has made no move to close the ABC stores (state run operations) in violation of her own proclamation. Good for the goose/good for the gander sort of thing. I am sure there must be many valid reasons why this is not the case but it sure looks like selective enforcement from where I sit.

.275Rigby

Certainly I agree that the law is poorly written, potentially unconstitutional, and ought to be removed, but really, the fact that it hasn't been applied DOES make it less real. There are thousands of really stupid antiquated laws on the books across this country that would result in the DA being laughed out of court if they ever tried to apply them, but there is no standing to challenge them until they are applied to you personally, and no reason for a legislator to feel political pressure to change them if they are not in use. Right now it is in the same vein as the NYC statute prescribing a $25 fine for flirting ("looking at a woman THAT way"). Won't stand up in court, but you have to get it into court to deal with it.

Let's absolutely keep our eyes open for an application of this law, particularly in a circumstance such as this (4 inches of snow), and THEN we'll have standing to pick up the banner and run with it.

B

bgreene89

So can we OC right now? Or CC? How does anyone know she filed for state of emergency in NC for the snow? Can someone show me?

Blake

MR Redenck

Lt. Gov. Dalton, in consultation with Gov. Perdue has declared a State of Emergency for the ENTIRE STATE of NC, because of the snow...

Merry Christmas--now it's against the law to carry in NC...

It's also against the law to purchase firearms or ammo or alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, or liquor)--EVERYWHERE in the state.

It's also against the law to possess or transport ANY firearm off your own property--EVERYWHERE in the state...

Thanks, Governor Perdue and Lt. Gov. Dalton.

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a complete suspension of fundamental human rights...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-288.7.html

It's OK because that crap doesnt apply to your elected officials or criminals. :eek:
It's for your own good! Your government knows whats best for you! :lol:

Dreamer

FINALLY, nearly 4 days after this SoE was declared, Gov. Perdue posted the text of the Executive Order on her website:

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsItems/ExecutiveOrderDetail.aspx?newsItemID=1611

Take special note of "Section 7":

Section 7.
This order is adopted pursuant to my powers under Article 1 of Chapter 166A of the General Statutes and not under my authority under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. It does not trigger the limitations on weapons in G.S. § 14-288.7 or impose any limitation on the consumption, transportation, sale or purchase of alcoholic beverages.

Perhaps someone needs to call her and read N.C.G.S. § 14-288.7 to her, to remind her that this statute AUTOMATICALLY kicks in ANY TIME an SoE is declared. It is NOT discretionary. It is NOT within her authority or power to selectively activate or de-activate NC Criminal Statutes at her whim for political expediency...

§ 14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT]

Doe anyone else find it funny that EVERY single SoE that has been declared since the Second Amendment Foundation filed their lawsuit about this law has been declared under Article 1 of Chapter 166A, and that the Governor is using that as an excuse to tell the LEAs of NC that §14-288.7 does not apply?

When is someone going to call her out on this lie?