• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encouter - CA - by the book

protias

"Statement to make?" WTF?

Glad the officer didn't escalate it further than that since there was no crime being committed.

BROKENSPROKET

Glad the officer didn't escalate it further than that since there was no crime being committed.

You have got to rememeber this is CA. Only UOC is legal because of legis. hystereia of the Black Panthers legal protest decades ago.

CA leads the nations in Cannibas Reform. But is very restrictive 2A state.

I am 1/2 liberal. I am 1/2 conservative. That makes me a full blooded liberatirian.

BROKENSPROKET

The offiicer did his job, dictated by his superiors, yet committed no civil rights violations. I would suspect this officer is also an OathKeeper.

protias

You have got to rememeber this is CA. Only UOC is legal because of legis. hystereia of the Black Panthers legal protest decades ago.

CA leads the nations in Cannibas Reform. But is very restrictive 2A state.

I am 1/2 liberal. I am 1/2 conservative. That makes me a full blooded liberatirian.

I know CA is UOC. My issue is the officer seemed somewhat "hyped up" until he found out the guy was a marine and was on camera. And of course the typical, "I need to find out who you are" just to make sure you aren't a felon line.

BROKENSPROKET

I know CA is UOC. My issue is the officer seemed somewhat "hyped up" until he found out the guy was a marine and was on camera. And of course the typical, "I need to find out who you are" just to make sure you aren't a felon line.

I understand your point. But, let us be thankful that this officer was the first on scene(or he was chosen by his comrades). IDK.

The officer knew he was on camera from the very start.

There was something about the person, that we could not see, that gave the officer the impression he was a Marine, that prompted him to ask the question. If he looked like J.G. the outcome could have been hypothetically much worse. NO OFFENSE. I love the man.

iN tHE sPIRIT of mCx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7cP3ij5g

protias

I agree the stop was decent and it wasn't escalated. The officer knew he couldn't overstep his authority and start making demands.

M

McX

wow, after dancing with madison pd, this was refreshing to see, and brought hope to me. perhapse we should start handing out certificates of appreciation to the police officers who respect the rights of the citizen, as surely as the ones who diesrespect citizens should be reported, and punished.

LR Yote 312

I am with McX on this one.

I wish I had been treated with that much respect during my encounter with Cudahy.
Just something about being handcuffed for awhile for no reason makes ya wonder if your in the right or not.

That stop lasted all of what...3 minutes ??? max...

I spent 30 mins cuffed.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Beretta-m9

I am with McX on this one.

I wish I had been treated with that much respect during my encounter with Cudahy.
Just something about being handcuffed for awhile for no reason makes ya wonder if your in the right or not.

That stop lasted all of what...3 minutes ??? max...

I spent 30 mins cuffed.

LR Yote

I think the camera had something to do with it. I'm sure other factors aswell but that even left something to be desired even though it wasn't bad he should have been left alone in the first place. I don't want cops pulling me over just to check my car for insurance. Same with checking guns for ammo, why was he stopped ? because he had a gun, thats no reason at all.

keepyourreceipt

I must say, this was a very interesting video to watch. Not knowing the specific laws in CA I can't speak as certainly as I would had it happened in WI, but having some law enforcement background I can say a few things. As much as it might be an inconvenience to be stopped while armed the cop is just doing his job. Someone calls in a report of a man with a gun, it is now that cop's job to investigate it and he can't be criticized for that. The issue of a cop asking for your ID to verify that you aren't a felon... I don't know, on that issue I'm a bit torn. I suppose its similar in my mind to a cop stoping a kid who may or may not be 21 and he has a can of beer. How is he supposed to determine if that kid is committing a crime or not without ID? Granted its not exactly the same, but in my mind they are similar. That being said, it is also true that someone who hasn't done anything wrong isn't required to provide ID. I guess I can see both sides of the issue. Either way, if you're not a felon and have nothing to hide, do you really have anything to loose by showing your ID? Just a idle question. In any event, this cop was very professional. He was firm, yet courteous. It may have been that he knew he was on camera or not, who knows, but he was there to do a job and did it without violating any of the individuals rights. In a perfect world all these kind of incidents would go so smoothly right?...

M

McX

I must say, this was a very interesting video to watch. Not knowing the specific laws in CA I can't speak as certainly as I would had it happened in WI, but having some law enforcement background I can say a few things. As much as it might be an inconvenience to be stopped while armed the cop is just doing his job. Someone calls in a report of a man with a gun, it is now that cop's job to investigate it and he can't be criticized for that. The issue of a cop asking for your ID to verify that you aren't a felon... I don't know, on that issue I'm a bit torn. I suppose its similar in my mind to a cop stoping a kid who may or may not be 21 and he has a can of beer. How is he supposed to determine if that kid is committing a crime or not without ID? Granted its not exactly the same, but in my mind they are similar. That being said, it is also true that someone who hasn't done anything wrong isn't required to provide ID. I guess I can see both sides of the issue. Either way, if you're not a felon and have nothing to hide, do you really have anything to loose by showing your ID? Just a idle question. In any event, this cop was very professional. He was firm, yet courteous. It may have been that he knew he was on camera or not, who knows, but he was there to do a job and did it without violating any of the individuals rights. In a perfect world all these kind of incidents would go so smoothly right?...

in madison i provided i.d. and cooperated. and as a reward i got a letter thanking me for my cooperation, and enclosed a disorderly conduct ticket. claiming the totality of circumstances, what a bunch of leftist yuppie crap. your damned if you do, your damned if you dont, but either way, they WILL damn you.

keepyourreceipt

in madison i provided i.d. and cooperated. and as a reward i got a letter thanking me for my cooperation, and enclosed a disorderly conduct ticket. claiming the totality of circumstances, what a bunch of leftist yuppie crap. your damned if you do, your damned if you dont, but either way, they WILL damn you.

Wow, you're one of the madison 5? I had no idea, but its a pleasure to know you! I think we can all agree that that situation was handled badly, and Chief Wray's issuing of those DC tickets were bogus. Not all cops are good and just like they told us in the academy, it only takes one bad cop to make them all look bad.

Iopencarry

Unless arrested, never give ID to a LEO. Never consent to a search of body or processions.

why?
Ask Theses.

He was on private property, w/o knowledge of a school zone, and Unloaded open carrying. He was questioned by LEO's and released. Weeks later, he was arrested and then charged and convicted of having a gun inside a gun free zone. The judge would not let him put on a honest defense.

mjones

I wouldn't call it "by the book" - but the book in CA doesn't really matter as the book provides authority for a 4a violation.

Overall I'd call it a middle of the road contact - better then some, worse then others.