Thread: Nothing says Merry Christmas like suspending the 2A in NC because of some snow...

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland

Nothing says Merry Christmas like suspending the 2A in NC because of some snow...

Yet another "State of Emergency" declared in NC because of foul weather--and with it, the automatic suspension of the RKBA in North Carolina, under NCGS 14-288.7:

Alan Gura, we hope your lawsuit is successful in getting this STUPID statute repealed!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    I'm sure I responded to this earlier today...

Dreamer, you're right, and it's absolutely wrong for NC to unconstitutionally restrict the rights of its citizens, especially during times of an emergency! If anything, there's no better time to protect the rights of its citizens, for by protecting those rights, particularly 2A rights, NC would be enabling its citizens to protect themselves.

I recall a certain hurricane that hit NC in 1996, and another one in 199. I had a 4WD with winch, and 3 days off from work, so I spent about 12 hrs a day clearing roads in and around where I lived. Given the laws you quoted, however, it appears the NC government thinks everyone are imbeciles and wants them to stay home until they're "rescued."

There's absolutely nothing in the U.S. Constitution that allows states to suspend a citizen's rights as enumerated in the Constitution, even, perhaps especially, during times of natural disaster.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.

The Constitution is there for the good times, and especially the bad. When disaster strikes, its easy to begin suspending civil liberties in the name of the state security. The Constitution sets the minimum level for rights and liberties. A truly free society should have even more than what is enumerated in the Constitution.

I personally don't subscribe to the notion that the Constitution is a living document. Everything in the Bill of Rights is there for a reason. A proper education in early American history and a decent high school English class is all that is needed to "decode" it. Our Founding Fathers left plenty of written material explaining the Constitution as it was written and ratified. A 21st century "scholar" is not going to unlock some hidden truth in it. That very same scholar may try to put a 21st century twist on it, but the simple fact is, rights are the same from century to century. The method of restricting rights is the only thing that changes.