• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holidays in Baltimore--The lead flies like snow...

Dreamer

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
My fiance and I were comparing the Christmas Day local headlines between WBAL and The Rapid City Journal (our local news rag).

There were something like 7 Baltimore headlines that began with 'stabbing,' 'shooting,' or 'robbery.' There were NO crime stories on the RCJ local page. The big headline: Christmas Lights at Storybook Island (a local kiddy park).

The lack of violent news stories makes many here feel that it is unnecessary to be prepared to defend themselves at any time. Thus, many in this otherwise gun-loving part of the country do not carry, OC or otherwise. Unfortunately, Rapid City is not as bucolic a place as the newsmen would like us to believe; many stabbings, assaults, and robberies go unreported or are glossed over by local news in order to preserve the 'small town America' vibe.

At least one knows to expect violence in Baltimore.

Last edited: