Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Condition 1 at Wal-Mart

  1. #1
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206

    Condition 1 at Wal-Mart

    Earlier this morning my family and I went to Warrensburg to our local Wal-Mart for some groceries. Nothing out of the ordinary really happened until we were about to leave. We were grabbing our delicious skim milk when a large elderly man who was walking by seemed to stop dead in his tracks, and stare intensely at my Government sized 1911 sitting comfortably in my Serpa holster. I suppose he wanted attention drawn to me because he didn't bother walking up and discussing his concern, but rather yelled at me from across the aisle. Here's about how it went:

    Man: "Do you realize that that gun is cocked?."
    I walked over to him (hoping that that would lower his voice) pushing the stroller with my 10 month old son and replied:
    Me: "Yes sir, I do. In the state of Missouri, it is permitted by law to carry a loaded weapon in public."
    Man: "I know, but that Glock 40 is posing a threat. With that hammer back it could go off at any moment."
    Me: "Well sir, If i were to relieve the hammer it would pose a larger safety concern."
    Man: "No! If it went off right now, what do you think would happen to all of these people around here?"
    Me: "Sir, being as its in a holster, its pointed in a safe direction."
    Man: "No, your going to wind up shooting somebody!"
    Me: "Sir, have a nice day."

    I would have no problem with discussing his concern with him further but the man began this conversation with a raised voice and didn't lower it, nor show any intention of lowering it. The last thing I want is to be seen arguing with a loaded gun. That just doesn't seem to be a good idea. So, I walked away. The last words I heard was him telling his wife that I was going to kill somebody in the store. I'm not sure I did the right thing, or that I did everything I could have done, but at the time, I was unable to come up with a better idea. We checked out, and left without any further issues. So does anybody here have any suggestions or advice for me? I didn't get the audio, and now I feel like retard for it, but oh well.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  2. #2
    Regular Member J XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Whiteman,AFB
    Posts
    118
    Af carry
    you did what you could do. Sometimes its better to just let things go and walk away. I go into the Warrensburg walmart every day and I've talked to the manager. He has no problem with open carry and informed the walmart employees that open carry is legal. However, they still reserve the right to ask us to leave if too many complaine. If they should ask you to leave do so and come back at a later time.
    Luke 22:36 :...if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

  3. #3
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    Yea, I remember you telling me that when we met in there last time. But this wasn't an employee, this was just an irrational man. I was going to explain that it wasn't a Glock (which I commonly carry in the summer) and to relieve the hammer, I would have toremove my firearm from holster, deactivate safeties and pull the trigger on a loaded gun (that's a terrible idea) which I WILL NOT EVER do in Wal-Mart of all places just to please someone. I get the feeling that that's exactly what he was looking for. So, I dunno. It is what it is.
    Last edited by afcarry; 12-26-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  4. #4
    Regular Member ChiangShih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    628

    Thumbs up

    You did the right thing. There isn't a whole lot you can do to calm down or educate an ignorant or belligerent individual.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    25
    This type of thing is only the beginning. Shop at Walmart at your own peril.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...cious-activity

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Open-carrying

  6. #6
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    Yea, I remember you telling me that when we met in there last time. But this wasn't an employee, this was just an irrational man. I was going to explain that it wasn't a Glock (which I commonly carry in the summer) and to relieve the hammer, I would have toremove my firearm from holster, deactivate safeties and pull the trigger on a loaded gun (that's a terrible idea) which I WILL NOT EVER do in Wal-Mart of all places just to please someone. I get the feeling that that's exactly what he was looking for. So, I dunno. It is what it is.
    You brought da big bad Glock Fotay up in Walmart?? You must be the devil..

    I would have laughed, told him he doesn't know ****, and kept walking.

  7. #7
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    You brought da big bad Glock Fotay up in Walmart??
    lol Thats awesome! I'm gonna change the subject here: I LOVE the Glock for its reliability, mag capacity and size but I hate, I Hate the reputation Its been given. They aren't "gats," they don't cap people, they don't go "click clack" and It's really a pain the *** to shoot one sideways (or any gun, for that matter). I'm not that old, see (only 22), so it seems every lovely individual who sees me carrying assumes I'm a wannabe gangster or something. Just makes me carry more.
    Last edited by afcarry; 12-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran ComSec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lees Summit, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    444
    People like this I just laugh and walk away. people reactions can be amusing at times, I got some subs at subway today and there was a "unarmed" security guard getting food, she was happy and talking, but when she saw my weapon she kept her eye forward and was submissively nice, I felt like I was intimidating her but I was just getting food. I cant understand people being unarmed security, for a weapon she had a digital camera

  9. #9
    Regular Member ChiangShih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by ComSec View Post
    People like this I just laugh and walk away. people reactions can be amusing at times, I got some subs at subway today and there was a "unarmed" security guard getting food, she was happy and talking, but when she saw my weapon she kept her eye forward and was submissively nice, I felt like I was intimidating her but I was just getting food. I cant understand people being unarmed security, for a weapon she had a digital camera
    I hate the idea that I'm intimidating folks out in public. I know some guys who find it amusing and really do nothing to seem less intimidating. Some guys do the opposite, on purpose or not, when they notice someone noticing their gun a lot of guys stiffen up, pop out their chests, and become very "serious" in their facial expressions and mannerisms. I always try to smile and acknowledge the onlooker. A smile, a good attitude, and relaxed mannerisms go a long way in OC, whether or not you want to be, when you OC you are an ambassador of the movement to the public IMO.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

  10. #10
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    Agreed. What you carry in your holster should not affect how you act on a day to day basis. I said before in another thread that you should act professional and mature when carrying, but I feel I should clarify now before I'm labeled a hypocrite: you should always act like an adult - provided you are one. If you aren't smart enough to do that, then I can only hope my family isn't the backstop when you make a stupid decision and start shooting in a mall. You should always act like the intelligent respectful person that you are. I have fun while I do, I still laugh and make jokes, but I don't act like a twelve year old, and I don't act like I am some BAMF who deserves respect because he carries a gun. Like ChiangShih said, what you or I do reflects on all of us, good or bad. Man, I'm great at complicating the obvious and repeating other people.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran ComSec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lees Summit, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    444
    Im very friendly and polite when I carry, I find if you alienate yourself from people that draws attention, and I just want to be the grey guy no one thinks about, got me though boot camp easy LOL

  12. #12
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    You did the right thing. There isn't a whole lot you can do to calm down or educate an ignorant or belligerent individual.
    +100

  13. #13
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    The loud guy at Walmart strikes me as one that believes the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" and he wants ALL THE GREASE cuz he is the loudest NO MATTER HOW IRRATIONAL HIS BEHAVIOUR!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-27-2010 at 03:21 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    lol Thats awesome! I'm gonna change the subject here: I LOVE the Glock for its reliability, mag capacity and size but I hate, I Hate the reputation Its been given. They aren't "gats," they don't cap people, they don't go "click clack" and It's really a pain the *** to shoot one sideways (or any gun, for that matter). I'm not that old, see (only 22), so it seems every lovely individual who sees me carrying assumes I'm a wannabe gangster or something. Just makes me carry more.
    Did you get your CCW yet? Opens your up to more municipalities for OC... Do you go to UCM? I'm 24 but have some friends up there, may have to go OC with you when I get up that way.

  15. #15
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    And as for the age thing that's laughable. I love how people think you must have a clean cut image to exercise a right. FWIW, I'm "clean cut".

  16. #16
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    No CCW yet, at least have to wait a few more months until I hit 23. Then I have to decide whether or not I want to deal with the sheriffs office. A buddy of mine has been trying to get is C&R for forever but the sheriff just keeps giving him the run around. No, I'm not going to UCM, I support their flying school from WAFB (ATC), but thats all the relationship I share with them. But yea, shoot me a PM when you come over.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  17. #17
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    No CCW yet, at least have to wait a few more months until I hit 23. Then I have to decide whether or not I want to deal with the sheriffs office. A buddy of mine has been trying to get is C&R for forever but the sheriff just keeps giving him the run around. No, I'm not going to UCM, I support their flying school from WAFB (ATC), but thats all the relationship I share with them. But yea, shoot me a PM when you come over.
    You don't have to be 23. Go out of state like Florida, Utah, Maine. My Florida permit came back in 30 days. Don't need extensive training either. If you're hunter ed certified you can get it now. Plus my Florida permit last 7 years.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    ^Yep. I have a florida non-resident. Very easy process.

  19. #19
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    I thought about it, but I figured it would take FOREVER to get a florida. if its only 30 days though, what the heck.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  20. #20
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    Yeah I got mine in about 45, and I even messed something up on my app and had to resend it. They have more reciprocity than MO, and it's good for 7 years.

    Go here to request the forms. You'll have them in the mail in 3-4 days.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FOR...equest790.html
    Last edited by Big Boy; 12-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    I thought about it, but I figured it would take FOREVER to get a florida. if its only 30 days though, what the heck.
    Yea it's very quick. Call some local PD's and Sheriff's to see who will fingerprint you for cheap - if at all- for a out of state permit.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    Yeah I got mine in about 45, and I even messed something up on my app and had to resend it. They have more reciprocity than MO, and it's good for 7 years.

    Go here to request the forms. You'll have them in the mail in 3-4 days.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FOR...equest790.html

    Ummm I thought that 35 states honored FL permits and 37 states honored MO permits. Did I miscount?

    And remember there are about 6 or so states that you must be a resident of the state your permit is from or they will not honor it.
    Last edited by 9026543; 12-27-2010 at 08:45 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    Eh, I could be wrong.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    ...a large elderly man...
    ...my Government sized 1911...
    ..."Do you realize that that gun is cocked?"...
    ..."I know, but that Glock 40 is posing a threat. With that hammer back it could go off at any moment."...
    LOL.

    With the initial description of "elderly", I was expecting a veteran who had been taught to carry Condition Three. Right up until his "Glock 40 with the hammer back" description, where it became obvious he had zero experience with or knowledge of handguns of any type, beyond what Hollywood has taught him.

    You did just fine. You can't rationally argue with someone who has used no rationality to arrive at his position.

  25. #25
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad it turned out right, and I at least did the best the could be done with what I had.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •