• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Condition 1 at Wal-Mart

afcarry

Earlier this morning my family and I went to Warrensburg to our local Wal-Mart for some groceries. Nothing out of the ordinary really happened until we were about to leave. We were grabbing our delicious skim milk when a large elderly man who was walking by seemed to stop dead in his tracks, and stare intensely at my Government sized 1911 sitting comfortably in my Serpa holster. I suppose he wanted attention drawn to me because he didn't bother walking up and discussing his concern, but rather yelled at me from across the aisle. Here's about how it went:

Man: "Do you realize that that gun is cocked?."
I walked over to him (hoping that that would lower his voice) pushing the stroller with my 10 month old son and replied:
Me: "Yes sir, I do. In the state of Missouri, it is permitted by law to carry a loaded weapon in public."
Man: "I know, but that Glock 40 is posing a threat. With that hammer back it could go off at any moment."
Me: "Well sir, If i were to relieve the hammer it would pose a larger safety concern."
Man: "No! If it went off right now, what do you think would happen to all of these people around here?"
Me: "Sir, being as its in a holster, its pointed in a safe direction."
Man: "No, your going to wind up shooting somebody!"
Me: "Sir, have a nice day."

I would have no problem with discussing his concern with him further but the man began this conversation with a raised voice and didn't lower it, nor show any intention of lowering it. The last thing I want is to be seen arguing with a loaded gun. That just doesn't seem to be a good idea. So, I walked away. The last words I heard was him telling his wife that I was going to kill somebody in the store. I'm not sure I did the right thing, or that I did everything I could have done, but at the time, I was unable to come up with a better idea. We checked out, and left without any further issues. So does anybody here have any suggestions or advice for me? I didn't get the audio, and now I feel like retard for it, but oh well.

John563

Af carry
you did what you could do. Sometimes its better to just let things go and walk away. I go into the Warrensburg walmart every day and I've talked to the manager. He has no problem with open carry and informed the walmart employees that open carry is legal. However, they still reserve the right to ask us to leave if too many complaine. If they should ask you to leave do so and come back at a later time.

afcarry

Yea, I remember you telling me that when we met in there last time. But this wasn't an employee, this was just an irrational man. I was going to explain that it wasn't a Glock (which I commonly carry in the summer) and to relieve the hammer, I would have toremove my firearm from holster, deactivate safeties and pull the trigger on a loaded gun (that's a terrible idea) which I WILL NOT EVER do in Wal-Mart of all places just to please someone. I get the feeling that that's exactly what he was looking for. So, I dunno. It is what it is.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

You did the right thing. There isn't a whole lot you can do to calm down or educate an ignorant or belligerent individual.

cash50

Yea, I remember you telling me that when we met in there last time. But this wasn't an employee, this was just an irrational man. I was going to explain that it wasn't a Glock (which I commonly carry in the summer) and to relieve the hammer, I would have toremove my firearm from holster, deactivate safeties and pull the trigger on a loaded gun (that's a terrible idea) which I WILL NOT EVER do in Wal-Mart of all places just to please someone. I get the feeling that that's exactly what he was looking for. So, I dunno. It is what it is.

You brought da big bad Glock Fotay up in Walmart?? You must be the devil..

I would have laughed, told him he doesn't know ****, and kept walking.

afcarry

You brought da big bad Glock Fotay up in Walmart??
lol Thats awesome! I'm gonna change the subject here: I LOVE the Glock for its reliability, mag capacity and size but I hate, I Hate the reputation Its been given. They aren't "gats," they don't cap people, they don't go "click clack" and It's really a pain the *** to shoot one sideways (or any gun, for that matter). I'm not that old, see (only 22), so it seems every lovely individual who sees me carrying assumes I'm a wannabe gangster or something. Just makes me carry more.

Last edited:

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
People like this I just laugh and walk away. people reactions can be amusing at times, I got some subs at subway today and there was a "unarmed" security guard getting food, she was happy and talking, but when she saw my weapon she kept her eye forward and was submissively nice, I felt like I was intimidating her but I was just getting food. I cant understand people being unarmed security, for a weapon she had a digital camera

ChiangShih

People like this I just laugh and walk away. people reactions can be amusing at times, I got some subs at subway today and there was a "unarmed" security guard getting food, she was happy and talking, but when she saw my weapon she kept her eye forward and was submissively nice, I felt like I was intimidating her but I was just getting food. I cant understand people being unarmed security, for a weapon she had a digital camera

I hate the idea that I'm intimidating folks out in public. I know some guys who find it amusing and really do nothing to seem less intimidating. Some guys do the opposite, on purpose or not, when they notice someone noticing their gun a lot of guys stiffen up, pop out their chests, and become very "serious" in their facial expressions and mannerisms. I always try to smile and acknowledge the onlooker. A smile, a good attitude, and relaxed mannerisms go a long way in OC, whether or not you want to be, when you OC you are an ambassador of the movement to the public IMO.

afcarry

Agreed. What you carry in your holster should not affect how you act on a day to day basis. I said before in another thread that you should act professional and mature when carrying, but I feel I should clarify now before I'm labeled a hypocrite: you should always act like an adult - provided you are one. If you aren't smart enough to do that, then I can only hope my family isn't the backstop when you make a stupid decision and start shooting in a mall. You should always act like the intelligent respectful person that you are. I have fun while I do, I still laugh and make jokes, but I don't act like a twelve year old, and I don't act like I am some BAMF who deserves respect because he carries a gun. Like ChiangShih said, what you or I do reflects on all of us, good or bad. Man, I'm great at complicating the obvious and repeating other people.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
Im very friendly and polite when I carry, I find if you alienate yourself from people that draws attention, and I just want to be the grey guy no one thinks about, got me though boot camp easy LOL

JoeSparky

Centurion
The loud guy at Walmart strikes me as one that believes the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" and he wants ALL THE GREASE cuz he is the loudest NO MATTER HOW IRRATIONAL HIS BEHAVIOUR!

Last edited:

cash50

lol Thats awesome! I'm gonna change the subject here: I LOVE the Glock for its reliability, mag capacity and size but I hate, I Hate the reputation Its been given. They aren't "gats," they don't cap people, they don't go "click clack" and It's really a pain the *** to shoot one sideways (or any gun, for that matter). I'm not that old, see (only 22), so it seems every lovely individual who sees me carrying assumes I'm a wannabe gangster or something. Just makes me carry more.

Did you get your CCW yet? Opens your up to more municipalities for OC... Do you go to UCM? I'm 24 but have some friends up there, may have to go OC with you when I get up that way.

cash50

And as for the age thing that's laughable. I love how people think you must have a clean cut image to exercise a right. FWIW, I'm "clean cut".

afcarry

No CCW yet, at least have to wait a few more months until I hit 23. Then I have to decide whether or not I want to deal with the sheriffs office. A buddy of mine has been trying to get is C&R for forever but the sheriff just keeps giving him the run around. No, I'm not going to UCM, I support their flying school from WAFB (ATC), but thats all the relationship I share with them. But yea, shoot me a PM when you come over.

cash50

No CCW yet, at least have to wait a few more months until I hit 23. Then I have to decide whether or not I want to deal with the sheriffs office. A buddy of mine has been trying to get is C&R for forever but the sheriff just keeps giving him the run around. No, I'm not going to UCM, I support their flying school from WAFB (ATC), but thats all the relationship I share with them. But yea, shoot me a PM when you come over.
You don't have to be 23. Go out of state like Florida, Utah, Maine. My Florida permit came back in 30 days. Don't need extensive training either. If you're hunter ed certified you can get it now. Plus my Florida permit last 7 years.