• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quard/Graphics Violence-Free Workplace

range rat

The Company also prohibits the possession, use, or threat of use, of any object that could be considered a
dangerous weapon (including but not limited to all firearms and ammunition) on Company premises including in
Company or personal vehicles, unless such possession or use is an approved requirement of the Company job or
permitted by applicable law.

OK People, I need a Little Help here, with the Correct Meaning of Applicable Law...

If an imminent physical threat or danger exists, take immediate action to protect yourself and others from harm
where you can do so safely. This may include, depending on the circumstances, notifying Company security or first
responders, notifying reception and requesting assistance, moving to a secure location or calling 911.

Now here's a Good Question, How can I protect my Self If I have too Park my Car across the street when I Carry at the West Allis Plant?
AN when I know I have to work at our Peewaukee Plant. I can't Carry at all because there is no street parking any where.

JJC

unless such possession or use is an approved requirement of the Company job or
permitted by applicable law.

My employer used to have a blanket policy against firearms in personal vehicles. They've since changed that to allow firearms in vehicles now. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

If I remember, by law we are allowed to have firearms in our vehicles ( albet cased and unloaded), If you have displayed your employers rules correctly, it looks like you are OK to have a weapon in your vehicle. This because it's allowed under the law.

Talk to your supervisor. It's something I clarified with mine.

JJC

GlockRDH

I wonder if they could be held liable to anything if they deny you a 'legal right to protect yourself' and something were to happen as a direct result of that? ie someone ELSE brings a gun and starts shooting, obviously in violation of company policy..

protias

My employer used to have a blanket policy against firearms in personal vehicles. They've since changed that to allow firearms in vehicles now. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

If I remember, by law we are allowed to have firearms in our vehicles ( albet cased and unloaded), If you have displayed your employers rules correctly, it looks like you are OK to have a weapon in your vehicle. This because it's allowed under the law.

Talk to your supervisor. It's something I clarified with mine.

JJC
I was unaware of this. Do you have a cite? I know IN passed a law that allowed anyone to keep firearms in their locked vehicles this year. I think under WI law they are "allowed" to infringe upon our ability to protect ourselves.

johnny amish

The Company also prohibits the possession, use, or threat of use, of any object that could be considered a
dangerous weapon

I love these kind of rules, no one ever considers a letter opener, a pen, a scissors a dangerous weapon. It wasn't that long ago that airplains were hijacked with nothing but box cutters. Companys that create gun free victim zones will never understand.

smithman

My employer bans guns on the premises, but the ATM guy carries, as well as cops who come in for safety fairs. The ban does not exempt anybody such as private security or police. Since they have decided to selectively enforce the policy by allowing ATM security and cops to carry, then they have no business telling me I can't carry, unless they change the wording on the ban. Is this a battle worth fighting? Sadly, no, I don't want to stake my job on it in this economy.

M

McX

i have found from experience companies dont want you to carry on their property mostly because they are lying cheating scum, or a drug nest, and dont want you to be able to defend yourself against them.

JoeSparky

Centurion
My employer bans guns on the premises, but the ATM guy carries, as well as cops who come in for safety fairs. The ban does not exempt anybody such as private security or police. Since they have decided to selectively enforce the policy by allowing ATM security and cops to carry, then they have no business telling me I can't carry, unless they change the wording on the ban. Is this a battle worth fighting? Sadly, no, I don't want to stake my job on it in this economy.

The question is: HOW BAD DO YOU WANT/NEED THIS JOB?

protias

i have found from experience companies dont want you to carry on their property mostly because they are lying cheating scum, or a drug nest, and dont want you to be able to defend yourself against them.

If I were to be hired by you, I'd carry all day long with my nice .45. :D

The answer is easy DON'T ASK DON'T TELL
Good thing this isn't the military eh? :p

BROKENSPROKET

The answer is easy DON'T ASK DON'T TELL

The last conversation I had with the Plant Manager made it a DON'T ASK DON'T TELL policy.

Just before the 9-Day Gun Deer Season, several employess and the plant manager where in the breakroom talking about various things. I changed the subject addressing the Plant Manager stating that it's a violation of company policy to have a firearm in our locked cars. He ackowledged that I was correct. Then I told him Weyehauser fired 14 employees for have guns in their vehicles. They sued the company and won big time. The Supreme Court ruled that an employer cannot deny someones right to self-defense to and from work just because they park on company property. The legislature in that state also quickly passed a law that made it iiegal for a company to fire someone having an unloaded and encased firearm in a locked vehicle on company property. I don't know just how accurate I was about all that but anywho, it's DON'T ASK DON'T TELL NOW.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
any employer or any private business has a total right to forbid weapons on it's grounds if it so desires. All you can do is terminate your employment from said business if their no weapons policy is unsatisfactory to you. There is nothing you can do about it.

Smithman...those ATM people are subcontractors/separate vendors that require their weapons to secure the money they transport & the Police are sworn civil servants and not subject to private businesses no weapons policies.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

any employer or any private business has a total right to forbid weapons on it's grounds if it so desires. All you can do is terminate your employment from said business if their no weapons policy is unsatisfactory to you. There is nothing you can do about it.

Smithman...those ATM people are subcontractors/separate vendors that require their weapons to secure the money they transport & the Police are sworn civil servants and not subject to private businesses no weapons policies.

Any Private business could prohibit private security personel from carrying weapons on their property.
The likely effect is that the owners of the ATMs would pull them as they are not going to go through the hassle of finding an unarmed security to service them.

Interceptor_Knight

....Now here's a Good Question, How can I protect my Self If I have too Park my Car across the street when I Carry at the West Allis Plant?
AN when I know I have to work at our Peewaukee Plant. I can't Carry at all because there is no street parking any where.
By law you are allowed to have an encased firearm in your trunk. Don't ask, don't tell. Unless you give them some reason that they have the legal right to search your vehicle, they will never know. Very few places allow you to be armed while on the job. If an active shooter enters your place of employment, a firearm in your vehicle is of no use to you. If you make it to your vehicle, your only concern is to drive away from the threat. You may pray for anyone still inside but you would never go back inside after a shooter.....

Krusty

IF my old memory serves correctly, Weyerhauser in Oklahoma fired several people that had firearms LOCKED in their vehicles on company property. I believe this case went to the Supreme Court and that the Court stated that a legally transported firearm in a locked vehicle was allowed. I generally do this myself.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
With regards to the other people like the ATM guys carrying on the company grounds. Most likely disallowing employees is because of insurance reasons. Gander Mt. allows customers to carry but not employees for the same reason. It may even be that they must have the policy in the employee handbook just folr show, so to speak. Interestingly; my company has two seperate handbooks; one for hourly, and one for salary. The salary book makes no mention of weapons at all where the hourly bans them. I don't know if this was an oversight or if it was dictated by insurance.

lockman

State Researcher
With regards to the other people like the ATM guys carrying on the company grounds. Most likely disallowing employees is because of insurance reasons. Gander Mt. allows customers to carry but not employees for the same reason. It may even be that they must have the policy in the employee handbook just folr show, so to speak. Interestingly; my company has two seperate handbooks; one for hourly, and one for salary. The salary book makes no mention of weapons at all where the hourly bans them. I don't know if this was an oversight or if it was dictated by insurance.

For insurance reasons don't allow your employees to carry, but on the other hand to cover your butt do not prohibit them from carrying either. Insurance company satisfied and employee personal safety is addressed.