• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC info Needed

gcahal

I am considering purchasing my first hand gun. I would like to carry it with me from time to time. I do not plan on concealing it. so for now CCW is not for me. What, if ANY paperwork should I have with me IF i should be confronted with LEO? I know this is a dumb question but hey....I asked it anyways.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No paper work required. Just be not otherwise excluded from owning a gun. Become familliar with the laws of Arizona. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

On April 16, 2010, governor Jan Brewer signed into law a bill that legalizes the carrying of concealed firearms and other weapons in most places without a permit for adults over 21 years of age. Arizona will still issue concealed carry permits for purposes of reciprocity for carrying concealed weapons in other states and permits will still be required for carrying in certain sensitive areas within Arizona such as in bars or on school grounds. Open carry without a permit will still be legal in most places for 18-20 year-olds, and for emancipated juveniles. This law will take effect July 29, 2010. Arizona is only the third state in modern U.S. history (after Vermont and Alaska) to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit, and it is the first state with a large urban population to do so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Arizona

March Hare

Welcome to the forum!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions:

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms even with a ccw. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf
It's the best free resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

-MH

Last edited:

28kfps

Welcome to the forum!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions:

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms even with a ccw. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

It is great to see states step up to the right to carry plate as AZ doing away with conceal carry permit. It is great to see the National parks recognizing the state laws, the preemption laws coming into play. One of the reasons stated for some of the changes was to make it easier for the gun owner to keep up with the laws. With that said I guess the law making lawyers have to make use of the years of schooling and tons of tuition money to make sure they keep a cretin level of confusion to their laws. AZ having the right to open carry and has the guts to say do away with conceal permits. However, the law maker lawyers say way to simple we need add no open carry where alcohol is consumed and someone else says I know lets require them to have a conceal carry permit in a state that for the most part did away with the conceal carry permit. Just wondering in AZ, can you be drunk with a concealed firearm as long as you have a permit? In Nevada to much influence on the state government coming from Comeyfornia to do away with conceal permit however when it comes to carrying where alcohol is consumed you can carry open or conceal of course with that required permit, have a beer however you cannot be over the limit I believe it is the same limit as driving. Wow that makes since do not want to see anyone under the influence with a firearm or a car. If we could just get the states to combined the best of their laws.

Dahwg

It is great to see states step up to the right to carry plate as AZ doing away with conceal carry permit. It is great to see the National parks recognizing the state laws, the preemption laws coming into play. One of the reasons stated for some of the changes was to make it easier for the gun owner to keep up with the laws. With that said I guess the law making lawyers have to make use of the years of schooling and tons of tuition money to make sure they keep a cretin level of confusion to their laws. AZ having the right to open carry and has the guts to say do away with conceal permits. However, the law maker lawyers say way to simple we need add no open carry where alcohol is consumed and someone else says I know lets require them to have a conceal carry permit in a state that for the most part did away with the conceal carry permit. Just wondering in AZ, can you be drunk with a concealed firearm as long as you have a permit? In Nevada to much influence on the state government coming from Comeyfornia to do away with conceal permit however when it comes to carrying where alcohol is consumed you can carry open or conceal of course with that required permit, have a beer however you cannot be over the limit I believe it is the same limit as driving. Wow that makes since do not want to see anyone under the influence with a firearm or a car. If we could just get the states to combined the best of their laws.

Aroo? This is a chicken and egg situation. The requirement for CWP for carry in establishments that serve alcohol came two years ago, constitutional carry was this past session, so no, the lawyers didn't purposefully play games with that. IF however, that's the foot in the door toward moving public opinion toward complete acceptance of lawfully carried firearms everywhere then so be it. I believe this may be a way to get school carry through the legislature- initially permit it for CWP holders, let the sheeple see that blood is not flowing in the streets (or in this case- hallways), then do away with the government permission slip.

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Aroo? This is a chicken and egg situation. The requirement for CWP for carry in establishments that serve alcohol came two years ago, constitutional carry was this past session, so no, the lawyers didn't purposefully play games with that. IF however, that's the foot in the door toward moving public opinion toward complete acceptance of lawfully carried firearms everywhere then so be it. I believe this may be a way to get school carry through the legislature- initially permit it for CWP holders, let the sheeple see that blood is not flowing in the streets (or in this case- hallways), then do away with the government permission slip.

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

Unless you have very big jaws or a very small elephant.

Placing/keeping restrictions was considered a necessary compromise to gain passage of the new law - now they will likely have to be removed incrementally.