• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How 'bout these for OC???

Kelevra

These are gorgeous. Belonged to a Texas Ranger. He wore them for duty. Awesome.

Clint Smith was heard to say; "Life's to short to carry an ugly gun." referring to his scrolled 1911.

Been thinkin' 'bout doin' that to mine.

Whaddaya guys and gals think?

Edit: Click on the pic for a bigger pic...

Last edited:

Beretta-m9

Clint Smith was heard to say; "Life's to short to carry an ugly gun." referring to his scrolled 1911.

nice, not my style but very nice none the less, if I had the cash for soemthing like that I would do it.

LR Yote 312

I love a nice 1911 and them sure are pretty.

Too pretty for the abuse of Open Carry....Not to mention if you needed to use it.
Too pretty to be in an evidence locker.

The Bomar cut slide is a nice addidtion...I think STI picked up the Bomar adj sights after father and son (Bomar) died.
Trigger job is a must...so is the port lowering and flare.

A mag well is a nice addition,but wasnt done to those...either was the high hand beaver tail and custom hammer.

For an OC 1911 I wouldnt do any more than a light trigger job...and by light I wouldnt go under a 5lb pull.
Liabilities...ya know??

I stuck some coin into mine and now wished I hadnt...or wish I had the money to pick up a cheap stocker and run that.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Kelevra

Howdy LR, The rear sight is a Millet adjustable for the Gold Cup and a dual pin front. The Colt Gold Cup came stock with the trigger shown.

I agree with your opinion concerning the magwell. Definitely a fine upgrade. A high rise Beaver tail was probably not available when these were customed out but that would be nice too. I would go with a Wilson Combat skeletonized hammer, there are plenty of others to choose from as well.

I've stayed with the stock trigger pull on mine but have polished and dehorned the trigger group. Trigger, sear, disconnecter, sear spring and firing pin. They are fun to play with. That's for sure.

Great comments, thanks.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
You just have to love the fine tooling on those 1911's. Big money there. But yes, I would not CCW those. way too nice to have some ignorant cop order you to DROP it on the pavement or like another poster said, in a evidence locker for 1-2-3 years., might not be the gun you want a Jury looking at.

Kelevra

You just have to love the fine tooling on those 1911's. Big money there. But yes, I would not CCW those. way too nice to have some ignorant cop order you to DROP it on the pavement or like another poster said, in a evidence locker for 1-2-3 years., might not be the gun you want a Jury looking at.

Point well taken. They sure are purty though.

LR Yote 312

Howdy LR,
I've stayed with the stock trigger pull on mine but have polished and dehorned the trigger group. Trigger, sear, disconnecter, sear spring and firing pin. They are fun to play with. That's for sure.
Great comments, thanks.

My 1911 started life as a Springfield Armory G.I. .45.....It wasnt long and I started tricking it out...When I picked it up I ran a 250rd box thru it and got to know it real well before I took it home.Something else that also came home with me on that same visit was a set of Hogue finger grips...Its alway been a very accurate 1911
right out of the box.

I had my trigger taken to between 3 and 3-1/2 lbs...and I really love it.

That is as long as its in my hands, I was never so afraid of my own gun till it was in the hands of a Cudahy Police Officer who was afraid of a cocked and locked 1911 and who had to be instructed 3x how to clear a 1911.

I told him I felt a whole lot safer if he had left it in my holster.:banghead:

We all know the police mean well...but there are 4 separate safetys built into the 1911 and Cops still manage to shoot themselves with them.

There comes a point where we cant blame the gun anymore.

I've also had the standard military sights removed from mine and had the slide Bomar cut for an adj rear Bomar with a tritium insert (horizontal bar) installed. For the front I went with a Hienie tritium dot...A dovetail needed to be cut for the frontsight.

When I had the trigger job done I had them remove the hump backed mainspring housing and had a one piece checkered flat back mainspring housing mag well installed.Trigger shoe is a Chip McCormick,with a STI sear.
Firing pin is the stock standard Titanium Springfield Armory.
Wilson 2 piece full length guide rod.
Barrel is still the factory original that I suspect is a unmarked Nowlin.
I know S.A. uses marked Nowlins on their higher end 1911's.

I still want to do the Highhand and skeletonized hammer...plus lower and flare the port...but thats been a time and money thing....and I hate to give the gun up to have those done.

I may pick up either another G.I....or a Mil-spec single stack and then finish out what I had planned for my Springer.

Using UMC ball ammo it will remove the X from the target center at 25ft.(1st station)
at 45ft (15yrds) it opens up to a coffee cup and at 75ft (25yrds) its still all black on a NRA slow fire pistol target.
And yes...on silhouettes it can draw smiley faces.:banana:

I carry it....but after my encounter with the Cudahy Police,I am in the market for something with a little less sentimental value.

Having that much scroll work done or doing that much engraving yourself is really a
investment that turns it into a heirloom to be passed on.
Those pictured are things of beauty....specially consequetive numbered sets or match number sets.
I would love to own something like those one day.
But in all honesty those would go from the under ware drawer to the range and never see a holster.
I wouldnt even put something as pretty as those on nightstand duty....for fear of having to use it and lose it.

LR Yote

oak1971

I carry this on occasion, a Les Baer Custom with another $1300 worth of mods.

baerwithmaleegrips002-1.jpg

And I have a Dan Wesson Valor for slumming around.

DSCF5310-1.jpg

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Not my style either. Not even if I had the money. I have an XD45 and a PT145. I could have gotten them both in stainless, but I went with all black. To me, it's just a tool. Nothing more. I don't care what it looks like as long as it functions perfectly.

Last edited:

oak1971

I love a nice 1911 and them sure are pretty.

Too pretty for the abuse of Open Carry....Not to mention if you needed to use it.
Too pretty to be in an evidence locker.

The Bomar cut slide is a nice addidtion...I think STI picked up the Bomar adj sights after father and son (Bomar) died.
Trigger job is a must...so is the port lowering and flare.

A mag well is a nice addition,but wasnt done to those...either was the high hand beaver tail and custom hammer.

For an OC 1911 I wouldnt do any more than a light trigger job...and by light I wouldnt go under a 5lb pull.
Liabilities...ya know??

I stuck some coin into mine and now wished I hadnt...or wish I had the money to pick up a cheap stocker and run that.

LR Yote

Most 1911 manufacturers adjustable sights are a generic Bomar type sight made by Champion. The patent ran out long ago. Champion also makes Novak type combat sights, which really pisses off Mr. Novak.

M

McX

all these lovely guns. you guys obviously have too many; mail your extra guns to me at.....................