• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at The Rock

amlevin

I can see how some are put off by it,

If they are then it's unfortunate they are unaware of the law. If they aren't versed on this portion of State Law governing the carry of firearms they might also be unaware of other, even more important parts. This why I say it behooves everyone who carries a firearm to educated themselves on the law and not just rely on what they heard from friends or relatives.

Just think, if everyone relied only on what they heard in the past, OC would still be viewed as illegal by just about everyone.

amlevin

I could be wrong but I think that they are suppose to have a sign that says "no one over 21 allowed beyond this point" or something like that at the entrance to the 21 and up area.
If this is the case then it would help to clear up that confusion.

Edit: oops I just noticed that Amlevin made that same point.

Oh No! Another "Vulcan Mind Meld".

END_THE_FED

..........Just think, if everyone relied only on what they heard in the past, OC would still be viewed as illegal by just about everyone

If I had a nickel for every time I had the following conversation, well lets just say I would have a whole lot of nickles:

Them: It is against state law to.............
Me: No, its not The law says...........
Them: No, it is illegal, my........... told me about it.
Me: Lets take a look at the RCWs, if you can show me where it says that is illegal, then I will buy you a steak dinner.
Them: lets just ask that cop over there.
Me: :banghead:

amlevin

If I had a nickel for every time I had the following conversation, well lets just say I would have a whole lot of nickles:

Them: It is against state law to.............
Me: No, its not The law says...........
Them: No, it is illegal, my........... told me about it.
Me: Lets take a look at the RCWs, if you can show me where it says that is illegal, then I will buy you a steak dinner.
Them: lets just ask that cop over there.
Me: :banghead:

The sad part and the truth of your above scenario is that "that cop over there" may also be just as ignorant as the person you are talking to.

I had a similar conversation several years ago with an employee of Sam's here in Everett. He said, almost word for word, the same things your "character" said. HE then said "Lets go ask (someone who was shooting on the range), he's a Sergeant in King County Sheriff's office. The "Sgt" also claimed it was illegal. Said he was an "expert" on the subject as he worked in the Courthouse and heard it ruled on "everyday".

After explaining it to him, an citing law, he then responded "You must be a Lawyer or Cop, you know way too much about the law". I guess knowing more than him was "too much".

Of course it turned out that, while he may be a Sergeant and a Deputy, he was on permanent assignment to the "prisoner detail" and all he did was stand around growing a pot belly.

Yes, it creates great stress when you try to explain this to some.

BTW, just remember, "Stress: When the body can no longer resist the urge to choke the $h!t out of some a-hole who really deserves it"

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Too many folks getting their drawers in a bunch over this. The RCW is quite clear on where you can carry the weapon. Read .300, memorize it, and when all rational conversation fails get the liquor control board involved to fix the sign placement.

Driver move out......

Trigger Dr

I could be wrong but I think that they are suppose to have a sign that says "no one over 21 allowed beyond this point" or something like that at the entrance to the 21 and up area.
If this is the case then it would help to clear up that confusion.

Edit: oops I just noticed that Amlevin made that same point.

Don't you mean UNDER 21?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I've seen numerous cases in my travels where a sign like this is posted where it is most noticable, like the front door, and then there is a second sign at the entrance to the bar/lounge stating "21 or older beyond this point" or the variation "Under 21 prohibited beyond this point". Every state has some variation to the theme but the intent is clear as to where you can or can't take your gun.

Where the sign is posted is immaterial to me as I make it a point to be aware of the law. Even if the sign is missing or obscured a person can be cited for breaking the law if entering a restricted area. At some point common sense needs to play a role in one's actions.

Most of this attention on sign placement appears to be "picking fly poop out of the pepper".

Just my 7 scheckels worth which at today's rate is 2 cents.

Here is what I would say about this type of situation.

This is an attempt (wheter intentional or not) to continue the 'serial misinformation' that guns are illegal in the entire establishment. Yes, the members of this forum know what .300 says and that it is legal to carry in the rest of the establishment, but the casual CC guy does not. I meet them at every gun show, I was one of them, I have friends/family that also are not as well versed. I do think it is important to have the sign in the correct location.

amlevin

Here is what I would say about this type of situation.

This is an attempt (wheter intentional or not) to continue the 'serial misinformation' that guns are illegal in the entire establishment. Yes, the members of this forum know what .300 says and that it is legal to carry in the rest of the establishment, but the casual CC guy does not. I meet them at every gun show, I was one of them, I have friends/family that also are not as well versed. I do think it is important to have the sign in the correct location.

I don't disagree with the fact the sign should be in the right location but I still hold that ANYONE who carries a gun should definitely know what the law allows or does not allow. You are helping me make my point that far too many with guns don't have any real understanding of the laws that govern them and the use of their gun. That's a far bigger issue in itself.

trevorthebusdriver

Took the family to The Rock in Covington tonight for dinner(CC). They had a "No Firearms Permitted on the Premises(includes concealed permits)" sign, but it was on the wall at the entrance to the bar area. No other signs about a gun ban in the restaurant area. Explained to my son what a dumb and arbitrary law that is. Then he proceeded to tell my wife which earned me the stink eye because she hates guns. That's my boy!
p.s. Came time to pay, found I had forgot my wallet at home with my CPL in it!

FMCDH

The sad part and the truth of your above scenario is that "that cop over there" may also be just as ignorant as the person you are talking to.

I had a similar conversation several years ago with an employee of Sam's here in Everett. He said, almost word for word, the same things your "character" said. HE then said "Lets go ask (someone who was shooting on the range), he's a Sergeant in King County Sheriff's office. The "Sgt" also claimed it was illegal. Said he was an "expert" on the subject as he worked in the Courthouse and heard it ruled on "everyday".

After explaining it to him, an citing law, he then responded "You must be a Lawyer or Cop, you know way too much about the law". I guess knowing more than him was "too much".

Of course it turned out that, while he may be a Sergeant and a Deputy, he was on permanent assignment to the "prisoner detail" and all he did was stand around growing a pot belly.

Yes, it creates great stress when you try to explain this to some.

BTW, just remember, "Stress: When the body can no longer resist the urge to choke the $h!t out of some a-hole who really deserves it"

Same here, at DGS in Seattle.

I have a few times, none too dignified, scolded a few of their employees for telling that to their customers.

Everyone who has said it, points to .270 as "proof", but when I cite it from memory and tell them I have been OCing in Washington for at-least 10 years (minus my time in Alaska) with only a few confrontations in which LEOs backed down, they clam up.

That said, I do tend to be brutally honest with people about LEOs in this state apparently being able to cite people for .270 at their whim, and unless they have the money to fight it in court, there is a chance they may loose their CPL, and possibly do jail time.

I tell them you have to learn to pick your locations and battles until enough positive court history on the subject has been established, or until .270 is repealed/clarified.

Telling people the actual legislative intent behind the law also helps them get it around their brain-stem.

Educating everyone in the store at once is fun! :D