Thread: What does that new Advertising banner have to do with Open Carry ?

What does that new Advertising banner have to do with Open Carry ?

What else will the forum owner be selling advertising to next ? Victoria secret, energy drinks, Used cars ? You might want to redesign the forum if your going to constantly be adding Advertising Banners to the top of the forum. They take up too much space. The top of the forum is beginning to look like crap.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Banned
    May I share some options for dealing with the ads that displease you so much?

1. Make a donation every month equal to the ad revenue lost.

2. Start your own ad-free site, paying for all the costs yourself.

3. Thank John and Mike for having made this site available while doing all the other things they have to do in their lives and paying for all the other things they have to pay for.

Me? I go for #3.

The large ad is a traditional Google Adsense ad. The site owner has little control over what gets shown there. Google's spider scans the page for keywords and tries to match ads that match the kind of keywords that are on the page.

A forum site often shows things that are very off-topic because the site owner has little control over the "elements" of the site. In a traditional site where you are targeting specific keywords when you write an article, those keywords will be purposely infused into the html Title Tag, Description Tags, Meta Keywords, H1 Tag, somewhere in the first and last paragraph of the actual copy, in the actual file name of one of the pictures on the page as well as the Title and Alt attributes for that picture. This is all just good SEO. When all this combines together, the Google Spider can see what the page is really "about" and adjust accordingly.

Unfortunatley, with a forum, the site owner has no control over SEOing out each thread and so whatever people post ends up being what Google has to work with. This means that very often there can be no continuity in the ads.

For example if the spider sees that the entire site is pretty much related to Guys > Guns > Gun Reviews > Springfield Armory Gun Reviews, Springfield Armory XD Gun Reviews ...then it can tailor displaying ads for XD Guns and XD accessories.

If, however, the site has topics all over the board then it only gets to Guys > ....and will display ads related to "Guy Stuff". You have to actively turn on certain types of ads so most guy sites will screen T&A ads...but other than that you can get everything from knives to Super-Charged Snowblowers if the Google Bot just tags your site as a "guy site".
    I always open carry one of my Kimber 1911 pistols everywhere I go. Usually in a paddle holster. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    May I share some options for dealing with the ads that displease you so much?

1. Make a donation every month equal to the ad revenue lost.

2. Start your own ad-free site, paying for all the costs yourself.

3. Thank John and Mike for having made this site available while doing all the other things they have to do in their lives and paying for all the other things they have to pay for.

Me? I go for #3.
    Wait a minute! What's wrong with Victoria's Secret ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Wait a minute! What's wrong with Victoria's Secret ads?
    I agree.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    What else will the forum owner be selling advertising to next ? Victoria secret, energy drinks, Used cars ? You might want to redesign the forum if your going to constantly be adding Advertising Banners to the top of the forum. They take up too much space. The top of the forum is beginning to look like crap.
    What advertising banner?

I see them at work, but my home pc I have ad busters and dont see any. I see a few blank spaces but no ads.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?