• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does that new Advertising banner have to do with Open Carry ?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
What else will the forum owner be selling advertising to next ? Victoria secret, energy drinks, Used cars ? You might want to redesign the forum if your going to constantly be adding Advertising Banners to the top of the forum. They take up too much space. The top of the forum is beginning to look like crap.

eye95

May I share some options for dealing with the ads that displease you so much?

1. Make a donation every month equal to the ad revenue lost.

2. Start your own ad-free site, paying for all the costs yourself.

3. Thank John and Mike for having made this site available while doing all the other things they have to do in their lives and paying for all the other things they have to pay for.

Me? I go for #3.

The Expert

The large ad is a traditional Google Adsense ad. The site owner has little control over what gets shown there. Google's spider scans the page for keywords and tries to match ads that match the kind of keywords that are on the page.

A forum site often shows things that are very off-topic because the site owner has little control over the "elements" of the site. In a traditional site where you are targeting specific keywords when you write an article, those keywords will be purposely infused into the html Title Tag, Description Tags, Meta Keywords, H1 Tag, somewhere in the first and last paragraph of the actual copy, in the actual file name of one of the pictures on the page as well as the Title and Alt attributes for that picture. This is all just good SEO. When all this combines together, the Google Spider can see what the page is really "about" and adjust accordingly.

Unfortunatley, with a forum, the site owner has no control over SEOing out each thread and so whatever people post ends up being what Google has to work with. This means that very often there can be no continuity in the ads.

For example if the spider sees that the entire site is pretty much related to Guys > Guns > Gun Reviews > Springfield Armory Gun Reviews, Springfield Armory XD Gun Reviews ...then it can tailor displaying ads for XD Guns and XD accessories.

If, however, the site has topics all over the board then it only gets to Guys > ....and will display ads related to "Guy Stuff". You have to actively turn on certain types of ads so most guy sites will screen T&A ads...but other than that you can get everything from knives to Super-Charged Snowblowers if the Google Bot just tags your site as a "guy site".

Gunslinger

May I share some options for dealing with the ads that displease you so much?

1. Make a donation every month equal to the ad revenue lost.

2. Start your own ad-free site, paying for all the costs yourself.

3. Thank John and Mike for having made this site available while doing all the other things they have to do in their lives and paying for all the other things they have to pay for.

Me? I go for #3.

Wait a minute! What's wrong with Victoria's Secret ads?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
What else will the forum owner be selling advertising to next ? Victoria secret, energy drinks, Used cars ? You might want to redesign the forum if your going to constantly be adding Advertising Banners to the top of the forum. They take up too much space. The top of the forum is beginning to look like crap.

What advertising banner?